Gaming/video server build help

MasterOfPupets

Limp Gawd
I'm planning to build a gaming desktop/video server in the next few weeks. Basically, I'm leaving from Afghanistan in about 2 weeks and i'd like to have the parts I'm ordering offline there waiting for me when I get home.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Gaming, some traps recording, and using it as a video server

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

I'd like to keep it at $1200 or below

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Cleveland Ohio (within driving distance of micro center)

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU, mobo, ram, gpu, case, data drive, ssd, psu, and CPU cooler.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Reusing the cheap sata DVD burner I have, as well as mouse, keyboard, monitor, and headset.

6) Will you be overclocking?

Yes.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

1680x1050 (16:10) 22"

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Buying online within 2 weeks, in person in roughly 3.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

USB 3.0, sata 6gb/s, sli would be nice.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

No, windows 7 64bit will have to be included in the budget.

Couple of things I've been looking at and reading.
Micro center for the CPU/mobo, assuming they're still running that deal on the i5 plus z77 mobo.
Hyper 212+ for the cooler (best bang for buck)
8gb of ram should be enough
Planning on getting the corsair 300r case.
Gpu wise, I've been looking at the new gtx660ti. The fact it comes with Borderlands 2 (which I'd be buying anyways) really appeals to me.
Big things I'm looking for are advice on the hard drives ( what's a good ssd and data drive? Looking for 256gb ssd and min 2tb data drive) and a good psu.

UPDATE:

As per Danny Bui's advice, I purchased the Video card and am waiting to purchase the rest until I'm home (or nearly there. May order the parts I need as I'm on my way or something. Just not 20 days in advance.)

Wanted to add my proposed build here just so I have an easily accessible record of it.

CPU: i5 3570K $189.99 Microcenter
HS: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus $24.79 Amazon
MB: ASUS P8Z77-V LK $144.99-$50.00 = $94.99 Microcenter (based on current deals, subject to change)
RAM: G.Skill Value Series 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 $39.99 Newegg
CASE:Corsair Carbide 300R $79.99 Newegg
HDD: Samsung ECOGreen F4 2tb $119.99 Newegg
SSD: Crucial M4 256 GB $189.99 Microcenter
PSU: Corsair TX650 V2 $89.99 Newegg
VC: GTX660ti w/ Borderlands 2 $299.99 Newegg - Purchased 8/21

Total: $1229.70

All subject to change of course, minus what I already bought.

Last edited:
Micro center for the CPU/mobo, assuming they're still running that deal on the i5 plus z77 mobo.
Note that the MC deals are in-store only. In addition, since it appears that you might actually be home in September, the current MC deals won't be available to you. If you still want to buy from MC, then wait until September 1st and bump up this thread again. By then we'll know what Microcenter's CPU + mobo deals will be (they change sometimes)
Gpu wise, I've been looking at the new gtx660ti. The fact it comes with Borderlands 2 (which I'd be buying anyways) really appeals to me.
The GTX 660 TI is total overkill for your relatively small resolution. Are you planning on upgrading to a monitor with at least 1920x1080 resolution in the near future?
Big things I'm looking for are advice on the hard drives ( what's a good ssd and data drive? Looking for 256gb ssd and min 2tb data drive) and a good psu.
My personal SSD recommendation is the Crucial m4 256GB. As for the HDD, The Samsung F4 Ecogreen drive is my go-to storage drive. PSU wise, just go for the Corsair TX650 V2.

Note that the MC deals are in-store only. In addition, since it appears that you might actually be home in September, the current MC deals won't be available to you. If you still want to buy from MC, then wait until September 1st and bump up this thread again. By then we'll know what Microcenter's CPU + mobo deals will be (they change sometimes)

The GTX 660 TI is total overkill for your relatively small resolution. Are you planning on upgrading to a monitor with at least 1920x1080 resolution in the near future?

My personal SSD recommendation is the Crucial m4 256GB. As for the HDD, The Samsung F4 Ecogreen drive is my go-to storage drive. PSU wise, just go for the Corsair TX650 V2.

Thanks Danny. For the microcenter deals, it will probably be early to mid September by the time I get home. Hell, it may be best to just wait until I'm home to order everything. Will only delay building it by about a week...

With the 660ti, I plan to upgrade soonish (next few months) to a larger, 1080p monitor.

And thanks for the hard drive suggestions.

Hell, it may be best to just wait until I'm home to order everything. Will only delay building it by about a week...
That would be the best idea actually. However I would order the GPU right away to take advantage of that Borderlands 2 deal.

Well, that's what I'll do then. Any advice on which 660 is best? Looking at Newegg, I'm leaning towards either the Gigabyte or the MSI.

Went ahead and ordered the GTX660ti like you suggested. I'll go ahead and bump this thread when I know for sure when I'll be home (which will be after September 1st) and can order the rest of the parts.

Bumping this up. I start my flight back to the states tomorrow.

Basically, I'd like to order anything I'm getting offline as soon as I get back to the states (have about 5 days of out-processing, but I'll have internet access) so they're waiting for me when I fly home (should be the 10th) then I'll pick up anything I need from Microcenter.

Not sure if Microcenter or Newegg have posted their September deals yet, if not they should have by the time I get back on the 5th.

Anything people would suggest I change on that proposed build? Already have the GTX660ti.

MC's September deals won't be available until September 3rd.

Back in the states now. Looks like i'll be home in 7 days, so I'd like to get the stuff on order so its there waiting for me.

Looked at microcenter and it appears the same deal is still valid this month, so I think that's the cpu/mobo combo I'm looking at getting.
The cooler is still the same price from amazon with free shipping.
Noticed a cheaper ram at newegg, CrucialBallistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB)240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333(PC310600) its rated at 1.5v, would it perform about the same as the gskill?
Everything else seams to still be at the same price on newegg. Any changes I should make before I go ahead and order?

Looks good to me. Yes the RAM should perform the same.

Thanks Danny. Ordered everything today, so if things work as planned I'll pick up the cpu/mobo on th 13th and get rolling on this build.

Back