Gateway 24" v Dell 24" v something better?

Any feedback on weather or not to get a dell or gateway 24"

The specs seem identical for brightness, contrast, response time, pixel pitch, ect.. Both have HDCP.

The have some different connections and the gateway has the farajuoda chip. But if it's only ever gonna be hooked up to a computer anyway all the scaling will be done by the video card.

I was on the same issue, but did not want to deal with getting the correct revision of the Dell, plus it was more expensive than the FPD2485W. Add to that I have been very happy with my "old" FPD2185W and the Gateway was my obvious choice.....

I simply HAVE to have the additional inputs these displays offer, or else I could have gotten a cheaper (and inferior usually) TN panel for less money....I have my main rig on the DVI, a second rig goes on the VGA, and component is used for a game console and HD cable box....

I was considering those two for a while but reading the threads about each made me buy a BenQ 24" instead.

Sceptre will soon release a 24" 1900x1200 widescreen monitor.
You might want to wait just a bit longer. Historically, they are decent panels, especially for the price (see the comments on the 22" panels in this forum)

Does the dell have an HDMI port and the Gateway does not ?
Is it that the Gateway uses the DVI connection for HDCP support but does not have a HDMI port ?

Sceptre will soon release a 24" 1900x1200 widescreen monitor.
You might want to wait just a bit longer. Historically, they are decent panels, especially for the price (see the comments on the 22" panels in this forum)

But I wonder if it will have component x2, dvi, s-video, vga, and a 4 port usb 2.0 hub built in for that low price? There is a reason the Dell and Gateway are higher than the sceptres...now don't get me wrong, Sceptre has a good part and I have used them lots of time in customer builds, but a TN panel is normally not in the higher quality range of colors and black levels like the S-PVA panels that the GW and Dell use...

I don't see why anyone wouldn't want the BenQ, it surpasses the Dell in almost every feature.

I went w/ the Gateway, even though I went through 4 screens to find the perfect one...haha

although I have to say I like the Dell styling better, I <3 the outputs of the gateway

I was wondering this too. I went to the local bestbuy and got the 24" Gateway and I really like the picture but I have an issue with banding, and the backlight bleed when it's first started is a little annoying.. It goes away after about 10 min. I decided I had 14 days to return this one so I ordered a dell. It should be here tomorrow and I will do a comparison then. I'm hoping I win the lottery but who knows.

I was wondering this too. I went to the local bestbuy and got the 24" Gateway and I really like the picture but I have an issue with banding, and the backlight bleed when it's first started is a little annoying.. It goes away after about 10 min. I decided I had 14 days to return this one so I ordered a dell. It should be here tomorrow and I will do a comparison then. I'm hoping I win the lottery but who knows.

Lottery as in a perfect panel? The 2407 hasn't changed...always been S-PVA.;)

But I wonder if it will have component x2, dvi, s-video, vga, and a 4 port usb 2.0 hub built in for that low price? There is a reason the Dell and Gateway are higher than the sceptres...now don't get me wrong, Sceptre has a good part and I have used them lots of time in customer builds, but a TN panel is normally not in the higher quality range of colors and black levels like the S-PVA panels that the GW and Dell use...

It will have:

VGA, DVI, HDMI x 2 (HDCP), S-Video, Component, RCA, USB 4 port hub, and Audio In/Out, Microphone

Any feedback on weather or not to get a dell or gateway 24"

The specs seem identical for brightness, contrast, response time, pixel pitch, ect.. Both have HDCP.

The have some different connections and the gateway has the farajuoda chip. But if it's only ever gonna be hooked up to a computer anyway all the scaling will be done by the video card.

After some googling, I think the Dell has the Faroudja chip as well. I don't see it in the North American specs, but do in the UK ones. Shouldn't they be the same?

Wonder if the sceptre will have 1:1 mapping for 360 and PS3 @ 1080P?

Back