Gateway FHD2400 or Samsung 2253BW?

airjrdn

n00b
I'm new to LCD's, and see blurring in every 2ms panel I've tried, but I think I can get used to it. I have a Samsung 2253BW from CC right now, but just saw the Gateway FHD2400 in CC earlier today. The Gateway was massively brighter and seemingly more colorful than the Samsung I currently have. I can return the Samsung and upgrade to the Gateway without paying a restocking fee, but if it's too blurry in games and I have to go back, I'll be stuck paying a hefty restocking fee. No BB's near me have the Gateway in stock, or I'd try one out from there.

So, what are the main differences? I don't know much about the different panel types, bleeding, backlighting, etc. Should I give it a go or stick with the Samsung?

For the record, I'll be gaming via PC only, with plenty of hardware for that resolution, so that shouldn't be an issue (hopefully).

Just hoping someone with experience with these will weight in. I've been reading through the FHD2400 thread, and many complain of backlight bleeding, but the one in the store just seems so much more vibrant than the 2253BW I have right now. I'd like to hear opinions though, before laying out the extra money only to find out that it's worse in fast paced games, forcing me to pay the full restocking fee just to go back to the one I currently have.

The games I'm looking to play are Unreal Tournament 3 and Crysis. I'll be using a quad core 3.4Ghz w/4G of RAM & dual 8800GTX's, which, I'm assuming, will play the games at that res, although I may have to turn down the details in Crysis a little.

The FHD2400 is a good gaming PC. The glossy screen is why the colors look better, but it has reflective properties that may dissaude you. I've never noticed any ghosting on the FHD2400. It's overdrive function seemed to make little difference. Considering your PC's hardware, though, I don't see why the $150-$200 price difference would discourage you from spending more to get more.

The FHD2400 is a good gaming PC. The glossy screen is why the colors look better, but it has reflective properties that may dissaude you. I've never noticed any ghosting on the FHD2400. It's overdrive function seemed to make little difference. Considering your PC's hardware, though, I don't see why the $150-$200 price difference would discourage you from spending more to get more.

Thanks for the reply. I'm ok spending the money for the larger monitor, my fear is that for gaming, I'll like the Samsung better and have to pay a restocking fee on the $550 just to get the Samsung back.

Back