Gateway FPD2275W Reviews

i bought one of these for my wife's system. it's one of her xmas gifts. hopefully, she'll like it. i went to best buy looking to buy the samsung 22 in widescreen but ended up getting this one. i think for the money, this one is a better deal. the sammy may have the adjustable base but the gateway has dcd1, usb ports, and other advantages. i can always get a third party base if the better half wants one.

ODNT said:
i bought one of these for my wife's system. it's one of her xmas gifts. hopefully, she'll like it. i went to best buy looking to buy the samsung 22 in widescreen but ended up getting this one. i think for the money, this one is a better deal. the sammy may have the adjustable base but the gateway has dcd1, usb ports, and other advantages. i can always get a third party base if the better half wants one.

Gateway sells the same height adjustable stand that comes on the FPD2485W (24 Wide) at www.gateway.com ... as an added bonus you get an additional 4 port usb hub in the neck of the stand. Great deal!!!

I love mine, i just opened it today, my only gripe is the fact that it has quite a bit of backlight bleed, but i don't care, the huge ammount of screen real estate more than makes up for it.

i mean, its only like 1/2 inch on top and bottom, its no more than what my old monitor had.

well i just got another long backlight flashing for 30 seconds on my second monitor and many more short ones. i dont know if i'm really unlucky or the oct2006 batch in the detroit metro area is bad. i'm gonna take it back and this time i think i'm going to get a refund or another brand. it's doing this after the first day?? not reliable! i'll might have to wait until this whole big-wide screen technology matures.

I dont know about the 22" model because I have the 21" model of the gateway FPD2185. I sure it should be just as good as the 21" but I dont know.

here's some pics of mine

compared with the old 17"er

IMAG0044.jpg

IMAG0030.jpg

COD3 screen (xbox 360 version)
IMAG0032.jpg

some backlight bleed
IMAG0031.jpg

360 dashboard, sorry for flash
IMAG0029.jpg

touch sensitive buttons are FTW
IMAG0028.jpg

it's really cramped in my desk...
IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

well, she seems to be happy with it thus far. i can't say it's a bad monitor but i like my 2 nec screens better. i really like the color and clarity of the opticlear screens. she likes the gateway better, tho. a fan of the opticlear, she isn't. oh well!

btw, i happen to be a guy....

but that picture that i showed you with the backlight bleed, it really doesn't go up that far, it's just light reflecting off my monitor from the light behind me.

it's only 1/2inch on bottom, and 3/4 to 1" on top and its mostly towards the top, or bottom left of the screen.

sparky, if you were referring to my post, i apologize but my "she" comment wasn't a reference of you, sir. "she" was meant to be my wife. i posted earlier that i had purchased this screen for her as an xmas gift. sorry for the confusion.

Tim-in-CA said:
Yes, the 22 uses TN Type and the 24 uses PVA type panel. PVA is much better from a uniformity, backlight and especially viewing angle and color inversion. All 22W monitors use the TN panel and ALL 22W monitors' panels are comming from the same panel sources.

I just wanted to correct this and point out that in the Gateway 22" manual it does say...

Panel Type
22-inch viewable
TFT active matrix S-PVA
Anti-glare coating

I'd also like to add that for the 360, vga is the way to go. For me component was just a blurry mess and really washed out looking. VGA at 19XXx1080 is absolutly phenominal.

Tyr-Sog said:
I just wanted to correct this and point out that in the Gateway 22" manual it does say...

Panel Type
22-inch viewable
TFT active matrix S-PVA
Anti-glare coating

Tyr-Sog,

I believe that this is a typo in their user guide. The 24W and 21W is S-PVA type and the 22W is TN type.

Tim-in-CA

Tim-in-CA said:
Tyr-Sog,

I believe that this is a typo in their user guide. The 24W and 21W is S-PVA type and the 22W is TN type.

Tim-in-CA

Is there any other sources to confirm one way or another?

Meh, either way I am fine with it. Picture is still great.

Tim-in-CA said:
Tyr-Sog,

Tim-in-CA

i just picked one up the other day and thats a hell of a typo as it says S-PVA in my guide too
and one know how to get to the service menu on this thing?

heh, yea I would say so. I read another thread maybe 30-40 pages back that said the website also claimed it to be a s-pva. Then about 10 posts later the site was updated and just says whatever it says currently(nothing about being a s-pva). Most likely the manuals were already printed. Plus Gateway covers their asses by basically saying that anything can change at anytime on the top of that text manual. Then again maybe it is a s-pva?

I dunno, I haven't found anything concrete saying what the panel is or isn't.

What is your opinions on this monitor? No idea about the service menu.

Also I meant to ask. I noticed when I power down for the night then turn the pc on the morning. I seem to lose my settings. I notice because I always turn off the sound but the sound is always back on after a night of being off. Anyone else have this problem?

Tyr-Sog said:
Also I meant to ask. I noticed when I power down for the night then turn the pc on the morning. I seem to lose my settings. I notice because I always turn off the sound but the sound is always back on after a night of being off. Anyone else have this problem?

Are you disconnecting power to the monitor with a master OFF on a power strip?

I just bought one of these the day before yesterday from BB and it had a dead pixel from the get go, took it back and got another one and it also has a dead pixel. I found this thread and started looking at the light bleed problem and the current one bleeds down about an inch or so. I am taking this one back later today, but since they only had two of these at my local store, i am unsure what to do for a replacment. I am hesitant to get another gateway.

Tim-in-CA said:
Are you disconnecting power to the monitor with a master OFF on a power strip?

I thought I was just powering down by the PC. Thats whatI did last night and this morning all is well with the settings. The only thing I can think I was doing the preveious nights was hitting the power button on the actual display. I know for a fact I wasn't shutting down the power brick though.

Ok, it was eating me up lol. I researched and researched and although nothing was concrete, it was pointing to 22" having TN panels. So after much debate and researching and reading about how much better the 24" counter parts are, I now have the Gateway FPD2485W sitting in front of me. I went from a 19" to a 22" to now the 24" lmao. All I have to say is..

:drool: :drool: :drool:

I apologize to all the 22" folk out there lol. What I HUGE difference. The 22 isn't even in the same league(but at a cost premium). And this is just being on it for 10 minutes and I can tell. Hell I could tell from the opening Windows screen and that wasn't even set to resolution yet. You can really tell a difference on color and crispness. But again, at a hugh cost difference.

And it's Freaking HUGE!!

Although I went from spending $230 to $700, it was well worth. My only complaint though is this stand. I just dont like the style of it. It's a hell of a lot more flimsy then the 22". Then again the 22" was more stationary without having the ability to be adjusted up and down.

my wife has hinted that she'd like the 24 incher, too. i may return the 22 inch for the 24 incher in the next few days. it'll cost me another $150 to do it but it'll make her happy. it may cost $100 on top of that if i decide to get the extended warranty like i did for the 22. we'll see.........

I bought this 22" monitor yesterday - even though I went in for the 24". After seeing them side by side I couldnt justify spending an additional $279 for the extra 2 inches.

The only negative is the slight backlight bleeding - which is nearly invisible during the day but apparent at night.

The BEST feature of the monitor (and why I bought it) is the 1:1 scaling feature. My son is playing Pac Man World Rally right now at 1280x1024 pixel mapped in the center (with black bars on the left and right, and very thin black bars on the top and bottom).

Its a really great feature for games that don't support 1680x1050 or games that cause too much of a burden on the hardware running at such a high resolution. I really didnt want to rely on the video card to do this function - which makes the Gateway perfect.

Yea, the price difference is hard to justify. I can say though overall the colors, blacks and whites all are better on the 24" but all in all I don't think the 22" can be beat for price to performance.

For gaming, in game colors are perfect. I tried a ton of games and I can find no shortcoming. You should see Pac Man - the colors are outrageous.

The 24" might be better color wise but again hardly worth nearly 2x the price of the 22.

Probably not. But to hell with it. I sold my 2 yeart old Sony monitor for $150, had gift certifics and Christmas cash, so really just a small amount of money out of pocket for the 24". There, justification for myself :D

Tyr-Sog said:
Probably not. But to hell with it. I sold my 2 yeart old Sony monitor for $150, had gift certifics and Christmas cash, so really just a small amount of money out of pocket for the 24". There, justification for myself :D

Ha Ha! That's exactly what I was thinking walking into Bestbuy yesterday. I had a gift card in hand too. After taking a good look and considering I'd like a new video card I bailed out!

Yea, I tried playing some NWN2 last night...Um not going to happen. AMD 3500, 1gig ram, x800xt lol. I need a new card to and thopught about staying at 22" and getting a agp x1950pro. But looking at this years pc titles and not being overwhelmed with joy, I decided to hold off on the pc upgrade till this time next year. Get out of agp. Well at least I got my first upgrade, 24" of goodness. :D

I went from a 20.1'' Sammy to the Gateway FPD2275W and I am VERY happy. I don't care about the back light bleeding.

I wish there was no bleeding - but I don't care enough to take it back.

The 1:1 pixel mapping is such a great feature I'm willing to deal! Now I can play Oblivion at 1280x1024 with no hitching pixel mapped perfectly like a 1280x1024 LCD without any stretching goofiness. Then I tried NWN in full glory 1680x1050 - it was awesome!

Once I upgrade my machine, Oblivion and NWN2 will be played in 1680x1050 glory. Its really a great first upgrade option - having the pixel mapping feature.

im with alot of people on the whole i dont care about the backlight bleeding thing, im used to it from my 17" monitor.

you know im kinda miffted that its not a S-PVA even though thats what the specs said on the price tag and i could live with the back light bleed but the inconsistent birghtness from top to bottem unless looking at it dead on its a pain

i may think about taking it back and swaping it for some thing else :(

Elios said:
you know im kinda miffted that its not a S-PVA even though thats what the specs said on the price tag and i could live with the back light bleed but the inconsistent birghtness from top to bottem unless looking at it dead on its a pain

i may think about taking it back and swaping it for some thing else :(

I think I noticed that last night when playing NWN. In a dark hallway I found myself moving my head around to see the detail better - especially at the top of the screen. It appears to only happen on certain dark scenes though - because all the adjacent areas of the game level with different lighting were perfectly uniform. My guess is that this issue only comes into play when the monitor is trying to be really dim. Anything brighter than a really dim scene has no issue. I'll try upping the gamma a notch to see if that affects the lost detail - but in any event it is a rare issue - at least for me.

Just an update on the NWN dark scenes issue:

Gamma apparently does nothing in DVI, at least in NWN. I bumped up the contrast and brightness a bit and it certainly helped without crushing blacks. No question the backlight bleed on top is obvious in this condition as well. Frankly, dim scenes are making me long for my CRT.

In the end though - I'm going to keep this monitor. Switching to another 22" is unlikely to make a difference in dim scenes. More importantly there is NO WAY I'm trading my 1:1 mapping option for less backlight bleed. The 22" Sceptre Gamer is exactly the same as this panel as far as I can see with all its advantages and shortcomings so there is no point in switching to that. The Westinghouse, Samsung and Viewsonic 22" screens have no 1:1 mapping option in hardware.

skeg8 said:
Sparky:

I just picked this up yesterday from compusa for $369 and have my xbox 360 hooked up to it. It looks amazing! I first had it running at 1920x1080 (1080p) and it scaled pretty well, but it was a little too blury for me. otherwise I will pay the extra and get the samsung 22".

Skeg8

don't the Gateway 22" and the Sammy 22" use the same panel?

They are all the same. The Sceptre is getting alot of attention here right now and its exactly the same as the Gateway! You can save a few bucks on the Sceptre. I've thought about returning the Gateway for the Sceptre just to save some cash but I'm far too lazy.

They are all the same. The Sceptre is getting alot of attention here right now and its exactly the same as the Gateway! You can save a few bucks on the Sceptre. I've thought about returning the Gateway for the Sceptre just to save some cash but I'm far too lazy.

well the gateway has more Video ins then the Sceptre so that made it win out for me but if you dont need the ins then yea the Sceptre is cheaper

Fair enough. I meant the panel was identical, with whatever backlight bleeding shortcomings etc.

I'm keeping the Gateway because the Stand is far better as well - and if you tack on the cost of an aftermarket stand you are back where you started ;)

Back