Gateway FPD2275W Reviews

well, the better half liked the 2275 but hinted that she'd like the 2485 better so i returned the 2275 and bought the 2485 for her. i hope i get some type of reward for my act. ;) :D

Just picked up this monitor yesterday. Generally it's great but mine seems to have a pretty bad case of backlight bleed. Also, text in native rez thru DVI is not quite as crisp as I expected. I may exchange for another unit tonight. How does text look on your screens? Does anyone have this monitor without bad bleeding?

Probably not. But to hell with it. I sold my 2 yeart old Sony monitor for $150, had gift certifics and Christmas cash, so really just a small amount of money out of pocket for the 24". There, justification for myself :D

LoL. I was thinking the same thing to! I had a 22" Westinghouse for only 4 months and while playing 360 on it looks ok I felt it can look better on a 24". So, I went for it as soon as I saw that 24" Gateway at Best Buy. Yeah you spend more for that 2" but then what it offers over my 22" Westinghouse justifies it in these areas.

- 2" larger obviously
- better image quality in sharpness and vividness in color in Xbox 360 setup
- can adjust in height, rotate from landscape to portrait
- backlight bleeding is less on this 24" than the 22". The 22" is inconsistent throughout the screen. The 24" has just a small bleed at the top right corner.
- PIP can display all inputs from DVI, VGA, component etc. The 22" Westy I couldn't get the PIP to display my PS2 hooked up in component to display in the PIP. Only S-video could display in the PIP.
- USB ports on the 24". No USB on the 22"
- 24" swivels so I can watch or play my games on the bed. The 22" is fixed and have to move the whole monitor.
- 1920 x 1200 res allows better tiling of windows and viewing area than a 1680 x 1050 which you need to scroll side to side more if 2 windows are side by side.
- HDCP support on the 24" and therefore can display HD movies as oppose to the 22" which does not support HDCP. Your chances on watching a variety of HD movies are greater on an HDCP (High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) LCD
- Menu buttons are far more convenient to switch inputs than on the 22". The 22" buttons which is on the side I have to make sure I know what button to select to change the settings than the next button to increase or decrease the settings. Also, toggling on the inputs you have to keep pressing it to get the input you want.

All in all, money well spent for my enjoyment and leisure in playing games or watching movies for entertainment. But, more importantly increases my productivity when I have to finish things relating to work, the extra room helps.

EZTune and Nvidia Display Optimization seem to compete with each other and do the same thing. In order to avoid excess programs running in the background, I've chosen to only use Nvidia.

After reading some of the posts here I thought it might help if I posted some clarifications on the EzTune software and why you might want to use it or not.

1) EzTune adjusts the monitor itself. Where as most monitor software and display drivers affect the output signal being sent to the monitor by the graphics card, EzTune makes the changes in the monitors hardware. This gives EzTune a huge advantage over color calibration software. So when you adjust things such as Brightness, Contrast, White Point, and RGB, this is making changes to settings with in the monitor. Instead of adjusting the signal you are sending to the monitor, you are changing the abilities of the monitor. Yes, you can adjust many of these settings using the buttons on the right side of the monitor however it’s much easier to use the sliders and menus within EzTune.

2) The exception to this is the Color Calibration wizard which adjusts the LUT within the graphics card. The advantage of using EzTune to do this is that instead of adjusting a single curve, we take a sample over 6 points in the color curves for a more accurate setting. You can see the six points being set in the curve in the lower left side during the wizard process. This procedure was developed with the help of Joseph Holmes, color expert with 38 years experience. http://www.josephholmes.com for more information.

3) EzTune also offers some plug-ins to further enhance the monitor. Most notably the Auto Pivot function which allows you simply rotate the monitor and have the graphics update automatically. If you have ever surfed the web and had to do a lot of scrolling you will quickly see the advantages of using these monitors in a portrait mode. I find it comes in handy for sites like CNN.com where articles run for several pages down.

4) You also get the use of the Theft Deterrence function. This feature renders the monitor unusable unless it is reconnected to the original system running EzTune with the proper PIN. I do recommend you take care when using this feature as once it detects a theft mode it switches the monitor to a Black and White mode which can only be disabled by speaking (or live chatting) with a Gateway Customer Care Agent.

5) On the latest Gateway monitors, EzTune offers Picture in Picture controls making it a breeze to watch connected DVD players, game consoles and other video devices while working on your system. AND, you can adjust the color of these inputs separately from your computer desktop settings. If you plan to hook up other devices to the monitor, you will want to use EzTune to control the PIP settings.

5) You can create multiple profiles for different uses or times of the day. For instance I set my system up to have a day and night setting which adjusts the brightness and contrast. A simple right click and I can load the setting most appropriate for the lighting of my home office. You can do the same thing for different applications such as text and graphics. In short you can have as many presets as you need, all available by right clicking on the desktop.

This covers most, but not all of the features. We are continually developing the software and if you have any suggestions, or issues we would love to hear them. We are always looking to improve the software. To make a submission to us, just click on the Help > Technical Support link in the application and send us a message. Unlike other support departments, we typically will respond the same day if submitted during normal business hours PDT or by the next business day. We pride ourselves on prompt responses to all inquires.

Regards,
Darv

Darvin Atkeson
Manager, Technical Support
Portrait Displays
http://www.portrait.com

After reading some of the posts here I thought it might help if I posted some clarifications on the EzTune software and why you might want to use it or not.

1) EzTune adjusts the monitor itself. Where as most monitor software and display drivers affect the output signal being sent to the monitor by the graphics card, EzTune makes the changes in the monitors hardware. This gives EzTune a huge advantage over color calibration software. So when you adjust things such as Brightness, Contrast, White Point, and RGB, this is making changes to settings with in the monitor. Instead of adjusting the signal you are sending to the monitor, you are changing the abilities of the monitor. Yes, you can adjust many of these settings using the buttons on the right side of the monitor however it’s much easier to use the sliders and menus within EzTune.
[/url]

cool, I thought that was strictly in windows. Cool to know it is hardware based.

After posting the benefits of using EzTune, I thought it might be helpful if I were to post some troubleshooting steps that might help if you run in to an issue. This covers only the most common issues we see. For further details please submit a support request as described in my previous post.

1) Locked to the Options Tab (Check For Updates) - When this occurs it means the software was not able to communicate with the monitor. There are a number of reasons this can occur and I will cover most of them below:

Outdated display drivers. – EzTune uses DDC/CI to communicate with the monitor. To do this, it must send the signal though the graphics card and thus through the drivers. Support has found that we can fix the vast majority of issues by updating the display drivers to current versions. We always test on the most current drivers available.

Cable issues. - Most cable issues are related to VGA cables. There are two pins for DDC communications. In older monitors these pins were not used and so many cables, adapters, KVM switches and docking stations do not connect them. When troubleshooting, it’s best to use the cables that came with the monitor and remove anything else in the connection when possible.

Old data in the Windows registry - We have included a Diagnostic tool with a Clean Registry function for cleaning out all previous monitor connections. We recommend you use this step last as it does modify the registry and causes Windows (actually the display drivers) to redetect the monitors.

2) NVIDIA Control Panel Crash - This is a known issue and the workaround is currently to use the classic NVIDIA controls. We hope to have this issue resolved soon.

3) Dual Monitors. - EzTune supports Windows Extended Mode. Basically this means that Windows sees each monitor as having its own desktop. Other modes are Mirrored and Expanded where Windows only sees one monitor. We may not work in these modes as the DDC/CI signals may not go to the proper monitor. In these cases just make sure that EzTune appears ONLY on the Gateway monitor you are trying to adjust. If it appears on the other monitor, or on both, you may get locked to the Options tab (No DDC/CI communications detected).

4) Laptops - As many of you probably know, laptops have non-standardized drivers (with the exception of Intel graphics adapters) meaning that driver updates must be obtained from the laptop manufacturer’s website. If there are newer drivers, we recommend you load them if you have problems with EzTune. In some cases, there may not be newer drivers. In some cases you can find updated drivers on the graphic card manufacturer’s website but keep in mind these have not been validated on your laptop.

5) Windows Vista - Current versions for Vista are in development and will be posted as soon as they become available.

For any other issues you encounter, go to Help > Technical Support and choose Yes to let it fill out the support request form automatically. If you cannot load EzTune, just go to our website and fill out the form to the best of your abilities.

Thanks
Darv

Darvin Atkeson
Manager, Technical Support
Portrait Displays
http://www.portrait.com

Need some help with the settings.

What're the best settings for this monitor?

I.E. Gamma, Brightness, Contrast, etc.

We do not see alike so why do you want to know the settings others have on their 2275s? Not only are we all different, each of our own eyes sees color differently. Try looking at a multi colored object, better yet a landscape, one eye at a time. Don't close the eye but cover it with a hand or something. You will see a small but noticeable difference in color between each eye.

I've had my 2275 for 2 days now and the only adjustment I've made is to scale back the brightness to around 70% from the default. This because mine sits in a alcove on my desk and as such no direct light falls on it. Over the next few weeks I'll be adjusting the other settings to MY liking based on photos I've taken.

I'll say this for the monitor. The picture is outstanding. It replaced a color calibrated NEC Dimondtron 19" CRT that I had around 5 years and it is making me wounder what I ever saw in the NEC. For MY eyes the color saturation is spectacular.

Your best bet is to use the included EzTune application and run the Wizard. This will guide you to adjusting settings to your liking. Note, if you are using Vista, you will need to download the updated version at : http://www.portrait.com/dtune/gwy/enu/upgrade.html

Good luck,
Tim-in-CA

- HDCP support on the 24" and therefore can display HD movies as oppose to the 22" which does not support HDCP. Your chances on watching a variety of HD movies are greater on an HDCP (High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) LCD

No, the 22" does support HDCP. Was definitely one of the selling points for me. :)

No, the 22" does support HDCP. Was definitely one of the selling points for me. :)

Sorry to mislead you but, I guess I was referring to my 22" Westinghouse, not the 22" Gateway LCD. I was just stating the advantages of moving from my Westinghouse 22" to the Gateway 24"

I will buying the Gateway 22" tomorrow, here is a list of reasons why I will be going with it over other 22" monitors (including the new Samsung and LG):

1.) Inputs. Not only will the 22" be replacing my current monitor but also my TV.
2.) Along with the first one I must say the PIP is a big deal to me, I play WoW (is 12 hours a week considered a lot for that game? Lol!) and when using a flight path I sometimes flip on the TV, PIP just makes it easy for me.
3.) Can purchase at Best Buy and that means if something is wrong it is an easy swap with little to no down time for me.
4.) HDCP on DVI, not so much compared to the newer (Sammy, LG again) 22" out there but many of the first models still out their retail do not have HDCP. Not a "huge" deal but its part of the package to me.

I am looking forward to my purchase, I have put a lot of research into these monitors and realize that all of the 22" have their short coming. Be it the TN panel, backlight bleed, etc. I am aware of this and aware that my personal taste is focused much more on ease of use than pure image quality from a colors stand point. I think anyone who plans on a 22" should be aware of that and just weigh their options and really take a trip to BB or CC or anyplace with monitors for view and see if they really mind not the greatest in color, etc.

I will buying the Gateway 22" tomorrow, here is a list of reasons why I will be going with it over other 22" monitors (including the new Samsung and LG):

I've had mine for a week now and really like it. Maybe I'm lucky but the amount of bleed is almost non existent. On a black screen I can see less than 1/4 inch at both the top and bottom at the mid pint of the screen. But long before it reaches the either the right or left ends the bleed is gone. In fact, I can't see any bleeding when the wallpaper is up or when a window is fully open.

The only real bitches I have is that the USB cable it comes with is too short for my setup and that it does not come with a DVI cable as my sons Samsung 940 did. BTW - BB wanted $55 for a 10ft cable that I got with shipping from Newegg for $25.

Let us know what you think about yours.

I've had mine for a week now and really like it. Maybe I'm lucky but the amount of bleed is almost non existent. On a black screen I can see less than 1/4 inch at both the top and bottom at the mid pint of the screen. But long before it reaches the either the right or left ends the bleed is gone. In fact, I can't see any bleeding when the wallpaper is up or when a window is fully open.

The only real bitches I have is that the USB cable it comes with is too short for my setup and that it does not come with a DVI cable as my sons Samsung 940 did. BTW - BB wanted $55 for a 10ft cable that I got with shipping from Newegg for $25.

Let us know what you think about yours.

For inexpensive DVI cables ... go to www.monoprice.com

Loving it so far, it actually a bit better than I expected now with a DVI cable (I had only seen it at Best Buy through VGA). There is only very small bleeding on the bottom, comes up maybe half a centimeter from the bottom of the screen and is only visible in a pitch black room. I do not have any pictures at this time (camera away with family on a trip) but I have found a wonderful review those looking into buying this monitor.

A user at the Widescreen Gaming Forum has posted simply an awesome review that covers basically all the important features and has tons of pictures covering the PiP, settings, etc. Really worth the read: Link.

I just picked up this monitor today, and so far I'm pretty happy with it.

First, it does have backlight bleeding on the top and bottom of the screen. It is very minimal on the top, and less than a quarter of an inch on the bottom. This was with the factory default settings, but after I lowered the brightness it was much less noticeable, and only with a totally black screen in a dark room.

After playing with the settings a bit the colors look fine, at least to my eyes. Another good thing is no dead or stuck pixels. Movies look good, and no ghosting that I can see when gaming either.

Being a TN panel the viewing angles can be an issue for some people, but for my setup it works just fine. The store display had the Gateway 22" and 24" side by side, and although viewing angles were obviously much better with the 24, I could not really justify spending the extra $280.

I don't have this monitor but I've been seriously looking at purchasing it...

One of the biggest factors for me is that it supports up to 1080p through component and DVI and has 1:1 scaling. Though the specs for the monitor and on the box I think only list up toe 1080i, if you press and hold the menu button for 3 seconds for the product tour to come up, and scroll to the HD topic, you'll see that it says "support up to 1080p resolutions."

I'm not sure if this is an error in the specs or not, but it would be nice to find out before I end up making the purchase. 1080i would be just as good for me as I'd mostly be using it to play HD movies and some ps3 gaming.

Hey guys, I'm a newb at all this HD stuff so I'll try and articulate my point as best as I can.
I'm pretty close to getting this monitor tomorrow and I need one question answered that will determine whether I get this or not.
My number one main reason for getting this monitor is just to play my console games. (Wii, Xbox 360 and PS2) I already have the Sony FW900 24" monitor for my PC gaming, and along with the VD-Z3 component-->VGA Transoder I also played my console games.
The problem with the VD-Z3 is only being able to get 480p,720p and 1080i
resolutions with no 480i support. Every Xbox 360 game of course is at least 720p so the problem isn't there. It's with Wii and PS2 games where a game not being at least 480p won't show up on a monitor. Most PS2 games that support 480p start in 480i by default. I usually have to access 480p and above resolutions in a option screen which has to be done blindly on my monitor or I need to hook the PS2 to a regular TV,enable my wanted resolution and then hook the PS2 back up to the monitor which gets tedious.
My question is, when using the component inputs on the FPD2275W. Can I start in 480i and then enable 480p or whatever resolution I need without doing it blindly or switching to a TV to do it? Thanks guys!

I just picked one of these up from the local Best Buy, and I have to say the backlight bleeding is beyond horrible. Returning it tomorrow for a FPD2485W :(

I have read through the thread and did not see anything posted about watching TV with the monitor. I am using it for computer and TV and have a HD cable receiver and was having trouble using component - the picture was terrible!!...even after hours of tweaking - I tried with the output at 1080i and 720p. I then switched to s-video and the picture is much better, but still a bit grainy(sp). Has anyone else had problems with this?

New to the thread and appreciate any help.

Hey guys, I'm a newb at all this HD stuff so I'll try and articulate my point as best as I can.
I'm pretty close to getting this monitor tomorrow and I need one question answered that will determine whether I get this or not.
My number one main reason for getting this monitor is just to play my console games. (Wii, Xbox 360 and PS2) I already have the Sony FW900 24" monitor for my PC gaming, and along with the VD-Z3 component-->VGA Transoder I also played my console games.
The problem with the VD-Z3 is only being able to get 480p,720p and 1080i
resolutions with no 480i support. Every Xbox 360 game of course is at least 720p so the problem isn't there. It's with Wii and PS2 games where a game not being at least 480p won't show up on a monitor. Most PS2 games that support 480p start in 480i by default. I usually have to access 480p and above resolutions in a option screen which has to be done blindly on my monitor or I need to hook the PS2 to a regular TV,enable my wanted resolution and then hook the PS2 back up to the monitor which gets tedious.
My question is, when using the component inputs on the FPD2275W. Can I start in 480i and then enable 480p or whatever resolution I need without doing it blindly or switching to a TV to do it? Thanks guys!

I have this monitor and just got a Wii last week. Wii started off by default at 480i and it displayed just fine. I already had component cables and I just changed the settings to 480p without having to use another TV. Also, I have an HDTV receiver that has a DVI output and I find that watching it in 1080i is the best as far as picture quality goes. I have not tried component via cable box since I first got it, but last I recall it had small bars on the top and bottom with 720p via component. Overall, I am very satisfied with this monitor but have a Dell 2407HC on the way since I find myself playing less PC games on it, and more DVD watching. VGA also looks great on the Gateway as well, since I have it hooked up to my laptop.

Back