Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

well, i now i have a problem with this monitor. it's starting to buzz now when i turn on the monitor. it's also taking a long time to turn on. like the other user posted, the gateway logo would stay on the screen for about 1-2 minutes then the dvi connection logo comes on for 1-2 minutes..

not sure if this is due the the colder weather and the screen needing to warm up or something. but it's starting to bug me.

can't return it now because my 14 days are up and none of the CC's in my area have it in stock.

Try removing the AC power cable and re-inserting to see if the issue goes away ...

You guys should feel lucky, when--if this thing does become available in canada it should sell for around $1000.00 CDN with tax!

Not likely,as I was in Furture Shop in Ottawa today with the wife shopping for a freezer and microwave,same isle as the microwaves,but on the other side of the isle.What do I see ?? FPD2485W 799 Cdn. with 3 year warranty,was not on sale,I asked and two reps,both told me "No,thats the regular price sir".I am going back on the 25th of Jan (Next payday) to snag one,with service plan for an extra 99$ for a full 5 year/on site/no questions asked/replacement,etc,etc,etc... :D I got one of the reps to hook it up to a HD-dvd drive and a Wii,looked great.Turning it around revealed it was built in Dec 2006.This was at the South Keys location for any locals on here,they had 7 in stock above my head,on the shelves.

I bought mine at FS last week and it only was a 1 year warranty............ :( same price tho.

I just returned mine today. The ghosting while playing GTR2 was too much. I just hooked up my old vp912b, No ghosting at all. I have a benq on the way but I'm worried about the lack of 1:1

I don't understand the ghosting that some have and others don't. I have played a ton of games on this thing over the last week and not a hint of ghosting that I can see. It doesn't make any sense unless there are subtle changes that were made to the hardware.

I'm never buying any Gateway products again. I returned this monitor and they shorted me on my refund saying their financial department can only do %15 restocking on the MSRP on their website and not on the discounted price they sold it to me at. Then they gave me some BS on how I have to mail the corporate office if I want the rest of my money. Don't order from their website if you plan on returning it and then expect to have the correct amount refunded to you.

Well, I had to return mine to BB as the backlight bleed was too much to deal with. Funny, they did make a geek squad guy test it before allowing the exchange. I got the new one home, no ghosting, no buzzing, no dead pixels, very minor banding...but to my dismay backlight bleed on all four corners of the monitor. Each corner shows about 1 inch of light. Btw on the one I returned, the upper right hand corner backlight bleed actually worsened over time and by the time I returned it, it was nearly 8 inches towards the center of the monitor. I am hoping the current level of bleed doesn't increase, though I don't think I can deal with all four corners bleeding for this price. Xbox 360 looks great through VGA as well.

I'll remove the ac power cable tonight and see if that helps.

both the gateway monitors i've had, had the black light bleeding pretty bad on the upper right hand corner. i noticed that all four corners are worsening. doesn't bother me much because i can only see it when i start up the comp or when i'm in a black screen which i don't see that often.

Well, I had to return mine to BB as the backlight bleed was too much to deal with. Funny, they did make a geek squad guy test it before allowing the exchange. I got the new one home, no ghosting, no buzzing, no dead pixels, very minor banding...but to my dismay backlight bleed on all four corners of the monitor. Each corner shows about 1 inch of light. Btw on the one I returned, the upper right hand corner backlight bleed actually worsened over time and by the time I returned it, it was nearly 8 inches towards the center of the monitor. I am hoping the current level of bleed doesn't increase, though I don't think I can deal with all four corners bleeding for this price. Xbox 360 looks great through VGA as well.

it WILL continue to get worse! i had the EXACT same problems.

I don't understand the ghosting that some have and others don't. I have played a ton of games on this thing over the last week and not a hint of ghosting that I can see. It doesn't make any sense unless there are subtle changes that were made to the hardware.

What type of games are you playing? I only noticed ghosting while playing driving games. I really liked the monitor but the ghosting really bothered me. Everything alse about the monitor was sweet. The menu controls are the best I've ever used, the 1:1, PIP all worked flawless. Not to mention that the Blue LED menu controls/power indicator matched my PC system's blue LED theme. If it weren't for the Darn Ghosting!

XBOX 360 (VGA 1080p)- Mainly Gears of War and Lost Planet at the moment.

PS3 (HDMI to DVI 1080p)- Resistance, Tekken 5 HD and Grand Turismo HD

Wii (Component 480p)- Zelda TP (looks like a mess, but it's 480P, that's expected. Thank you Nintendo for not allowing the Wii to run at 720p.)

PC (VGA soon to be HDMI to DVI Haven't tried max resolution yet but have been playing at 1680x1050 just to marvel at the size difference in 1:1 from my previous 21" Gateway)- Prey, Fear, Quake 4, and just a little Company of Heroes.

My only complaint about this monitor at the moment are the lack of HDMI, though I ordered an HDMI switch from Monoprice to resolve the lack of digital inputs. Also I have very slight bleeding at the corners of the monitor, but it really not bad at all.

I've experienced no buzzing, ghosting or dead pixels. Now that's not to say it isn't on some, I just haven't had it on mine. And believe me, when I buy something I LOOK for reasons to return it within it's return date. I got mine for 598.00 at Best Buy so I can still take it back, though for the price and performance I have with it I see no reason for that.

So how does the 360 look on this monitor? I'm so confused about getting this or the 37" Westy. Mainly because of the amount of space the Westy takes is why I'm leaning towards the 24". But man, for the extra couple of bucks, I can have that big screen and love the extra inches. But really, how detailed is the 360 on this monitor? I'm also worried that some of the images that I'm used to on a 32" CRT is going to be too small on a 24" monitor even if it's HD.

Should I go with the 24" and save some space and money, or go with the Westy?

Help me please?

I'm mainly getting the monitor for the 360 and the HD-DVD. No PC use really.

So how does the 360 look on this monitor? I'm so confused about getting this or the 37" Westy. Mainly because of the amount of space the Westy takes is why I'm leaning towards the 24". But man, for the extra couple of bucks, I can have that big screen and love the extra inches. But really, how detailed is the 360 on this monitor? I'm also worried that some of the images that I'm used to on a 32" CRT is going to be too small on a 24" monitor even if it's HD.

Should I go with the 24" and save some space and money, or go with the Westy?

Help me please?

I'm mainly getting the monitor for the 360 and the HD-DVD. No PC use really.

360 looks great actually on the 24" Gateway. I doubt anyone can say that the 360 looks better on another monitor as opposed to this. Other monitors can either come close or match its quality. If everything is all set right, it looks really clear. It's best on VGA set at 1:1 video scaling as oppose to component setup. There are glitches when you have the 360 set at 1920 x 1080 but, can be fixed with just a simple off then on of the power button. I did notice a slowdown in playing Gears Of War in a certain scene but, it went away. It wasn't anything major through the entire game. I always want to go bigger myself but then, for me 37" would be too big to fit on my desk and be used as a computer monitor also. Unless you have the room for it then go with the bigger screen. Most people would say if your getting an lcd display for console gaming and movies stick with an LCD/TV. If your going for PC use and PC gaming than an LCD monitor. However, I got this for Xbox 360 because of its resolution to support 1080P at a lower cost. As most 1080P televisions are too big for my needs and will cost more.

well, i now i have a problem with this monitor. it's starting to buzz now when i turn on the monitor. it's also taking a long time to turn on. like the other user posted, the gateway logo would stay on the screen for about 1-2 minutes then the dvi connection logo comes on for 1-2 minutes..

not sure if this is due the the colder weather and the screen needing to warm up or something. but it's starting to bug me.

can't return it now because my 14 days are up and none of the CC's in my area have it in stock.

Hey, I had this exact same problem on mine as well. It would freeze at the Gateway Logo and the Menu button wouldn't display yet until the Gateway Logo disappeared. This just happened suddenly and I was like...WTF? Then, I turned it off and turned it back on and still the same result. What I finally did was fully power it down by removing the A/C cord from it so no input power is going into the monitor. Then, it finally came back to normal.

BB did the same thing with my first 2485W return for a bad USB hub. BB seems to vary by store; the one near my work is basically no questions asked. The better strategy is to return for no stated reason, then buy a new one. The Geek Squad guy also claimed it was subject to a 15% restocking, which is dead wrong.

I did notice a slowdown in playing Gears Of War in a certain scene but, it went away. It wasn't anything major through the entire game.

I noticed slowdowns and stuttering during some of the cut scenes in GOW, but not during gameplay. I haven't noticed it in any other games, so I attributed it to GOW or the 360. GOW is the only game I've had bad disk errors with, and I'm on my second copy of the game. I'm running the 2485W at 1920x1080 via VGA.

I noticed slowdowns and stuttering during some of the cut scenes in GOW, but not during gameplay. I haven't noticed it in any other games, so I attributed it to GOW or the 360. GOW is the only game I've had bad disk errors with, and I'm on my second copy of the game. I'm running the 2485W at 1920x1080 via VGA.

I read up on this because I to had unreadable disc errors with GOW and it is a common problem. Some say it's the game itself or the optical drive in the 360 or could be a heat issue on the 360. Other games like Dead Rising had alot of Unreadable Disc error as well. I had this happen on Lost Planet also. It happened 2 times. Also, my slowdown also was not during gameplay. That would be very bad if slowdows are in gameplay. It's the game and how it renders it. I have Dead Or Alive 4 that fighting game that goes 60 frames per second and I don't notice any slowdowns when playing that game on this monitor. It's a shame though that S-PVA panels can display better images than TN panels but suffer in input lag. But then, TN panels do not suffer in input lag but pic quality not up to par as S-PVA panels.

Ferrris23 Posted:

Wii (Component 480p)- Zelda TP (looks like a mess, but it's 480P, that's expected. Thank you Nintendo for not allowing the Wii to run at 720p.)

PC (VGA soon to be HDMI to DVI Haven't tried max resolution yet but have been playing at 1680x1050 just to marvel at the size difference in 1:1 from my previous 21" Gateway)- Prey, Fear, Quake 4, and just a little Company of Heroes.

How do you have your audio connected? I am hooking up my 360 and PS3 to the monitor via hdmi/dvi for the PS3 and vga for the 360. I am also getting the TDX soundbar. Any suggestions?

My only complaint about this monitor at the moment are the lack of HDMI, though I ordered an HDMI switch from Monoprice to resolve the lack of digital inputs. Also I have very slight bleeding at the corners of the monitor, but it really not bad at all.

I've experienced no buzzing, ghosting or dead pixels. Now that's not to say it isn't on some, I just haven't had it on mine. And believe me, when I buy something I LOOK for reasons to return it within it's return date. I got mine for 598.00 at Best Buy so I can still take it back, though for the price and performance I have with it I see no reason for that.

I was very close to keeping mine. I had one dead pixel and the buzzing was minimal. In the end I just wasn't willing to accept the very-slight ghosting.

Ferrris23 Posted:

How do you have your audio connected? I am hooking up my 360 and PS3 to the monitor via hdmi/dvi for the PS3 and vga for the 360. I am also getting the TDX soundbar. Any suggestions?

If you are getting the sound bar, it has RCA style L/R audio input (red and white connectors) directly in the rear of the speakerbar. You can connect the PS3 audio into that one. For the 360, you can get a 3.5mm female to R/L female RCA at Radio Shack to use the PC audio input for your 360. You'll love the sound bar ... sounds great, plus if the sound bothers anyone, you can plug headphones directly into the side of the speaker bar for private enjoyment ;) It also has cool touch controls just like the display :p

After I got my new Mac Pro and set up just one 24" Gateway, I realized running two of these heat registers would not be cool in the summer. So I returned one and then started a "sifting process" trying to find the perfect pair of 22" displays.

Overall the 24" display is way too bright. It is brighter than a 37" LCD HDTV to the right of my desk. I ended up turning the brightness down to zero and getting used to the display burning hole through my skull. Color quality suffers from backing off and blacks are crushed. Notwithstanding, color quality was still better than a Samsung's 225BW and Spectre's 22WP gamer displays. I found that the crushed blacks were not a problem when I booted up Windows XP and played Neverwinter Nights 2 (I found out that these new Mac Pros rock for game machines when running Windows XP).

The 22" Gateways that I have to either side of the 24" have better color quality and are way easier on the eyes and do not radiate heat like the 24" Gateway. The stand on 24" Gateway rocks and I'm ordering two more adjustable stands for the pair of 22" Gateway LCDs.

Overall, the 24" Gateway suits my needs for more screen real estate (for work) but I will replace it when somebody makes a large display that I can adjust the light intensity of the backlight and that doesn't heat the room.

Near as I can tell the people who have buzzing have other electrical stuff on the same circuit that is causing their buzzing problem. I say this because I get a very slight buzzing when my laser printer fires up. The Samsung display screamed when my printer fired up and was more susceptible to taxed electrical circuits.

PHOTO-00299-F.JPG

Hey, I had this exact same problem on mine as well. It would freeze at the Gateway Logo and the Menu button wouldn't display yet until the Gateway Logo disappeared. This just happened suddenly and I was like...WTF? Then, I turned it off and turned it back on and still the same result. What I finally did was fully power it down by removing the A/C cord from it so no input power is going into the monitor. Then, it finally came back to normal.

yup, unplugging the ac cord helped.

BB did the same thing with my first 2485W return for a bad USB hub. BB seems to vary by store; the one near my work is basically no questions asked. The better strategy is to return for no stated reason, then buy a new one. The Geek Squad guy also claimed it was subject to a 15% restocking, which is dead wrong.

I worked at BB a while ago,and have never heard of this 'varying store by store' Something does not sound right here.... Did you fill out the warranty card by accident ? :confused:

As everything has to be 'intact' upon return for refund or credit or swap.

i bought a display model few days ago at BBY for 475. coming from a Samsung 215TW and NEC LCD1970GX, some things i noticed:

- this thing is huge!!! i saw it on display and thought it was the 21 inch, that my eyes were playin 'those games again :)

- bright! too bright!!! even when i set brightness to 0, it's still pretty bright. i'm not sure if it's some other reason, but my eyes turned red after the first day i used this... i wasn't smart enough to turn down the brightness til yesterday though... lol

- backlight bleed~~~ there's bleeding at each corner. seems to be less visible as the unit warms up...leading to another thing i noticed....

- banding. i've seen it on all LCD's...some more annoying than others guess. i need to fiddle with the settings some more :rolleyes:

- kinda... warm, no... kinda hot i felt the screen and it is really warm. when i touch my nec... not even close. the top part of the panel seems to be the warmest. if an lcd gets too hot, will it crack by itself?

- colors....:confused: they look washed out and kinda chalky.. i dunno how to explain it properly, sorry. i've tried to mess with the settings and eztune for a couple days, but still doesn't look as good as my NEC or Samsung. bright red objects seem to bleed at the edges. can anyone suggest some settings for color and brightness for everyday use like internet and movies? i don't think the presets don't look that good. Neverwinter Nights 2 wasn't as enjoyable as before...there seemed to be some kind of ominous haze....

- text is..kinda blurry. not very sharp like my other monitors. i had to even turn off the ClearType text smoothing thing in Desktop Properties. looks better with Standard, but still fuzzy around text edges. the whole screen just seems hazy... i tried the 21" Gateway last yr and i remember it seemed kinda hazy.. but the text was still sharp with ClearType smoothing. there was another one on display at BBY and it looked blurry too.. thought it was the settings, but i can't get it the way i want still. NWN2 text was blurry~~~ :(

-menu.. big improvement from the 21" but.... i wish there was a dedicated brightness/contrast, preset and input buttons.....and i wish i could rip out the speaker that makes all those menu sounds. i turn it off in the menu, but is it really necessary??? :p

is my display bad or are you guys having similar experiences? thanks.

senakun, I think many expereinced the same as you including myself. These monitors for the most part need to get a couple of revisions under their belts before they're contenders.

- this thing is huge!!! i saw it on display and thought it was the 21 inch, that my eyes were playin 'those games again :)

Yes, mine is also huge. Hence why I love it.

- bright! too bright!!! even when i set brightness to 0, it's still pretty bright. i'm not sure if it's some other reason, but my eyes turned red after the first day i used this... i wasn't smart enough to turn down the brightness til yesterday though... lol

After adjusting the settings, I am very happy with the brightness and contrast of this display. It IS bright, but that is a good thing IMO.

- backlight bleed~~~ there's bleeding at each corner. seems to be less visible as the unit warms up...leading to another thing i noticed...

Yes,. slight in each corners. But mine has all but gone away after a weeks use, other than that no backlight bleeding.

- banding. i've seen it on all LCD's...some more annoying than others guess. i need to fiddle with the settings some more :rolleyes:

I didn't notice any banding. It may be there, I just don't see it.

- kinda... warm, no... kinda hot i felt the screen and it is really warm. when i touch my nec... not even close. the top part of the panel seems to be the warmest.

Warm yes.but not much warmer than any other display I use.

some other reason, but my eyes turned red after the first day i used this... i wasn't smart enough to turn down the brightness til yesterday though... lol

- backlight bleed~~~ there's bleeding at each corner. seems to be less visible as the unit warms up...leading to another thing i noticed....

- kinda... warm, no... kinda hot i felt the screen and it is really warm. when i touch my nec... not even close. the top part of the panel seems to be the warmest. if an lcd gets too hot, will it crack by itself?

- colors....:confused: they look washed out and kinda chalky.. i dunno how to explain it properly, sorry. i've tried to mess with the settings and eztune for a couple days, but still doesn't look as good as my NEC or Samsung. bright red objects seem to bleed at the edges. can anyone suggest some settings for color and brightness for everyday use like internet and movies? i don't think the presets don't look that good. Neverwinter Nights 2 wasn't as enjoyable as before...there seemed to be some kind of ominous haze....

The colors on my Gateway are amazing, easily one of the high points of this display. I am playing PS3 and XBOX 360 at 1080p as well as PC games, all colors are very vibrant and anything but washed out. Seriously, I am still in awe over the colors on this display on all connections, even my Wii over component.

text is..kinda blurry. not very sharp like my other monitors. i had to even turn off the ClearType text smoothing thing in Desktop Properties. looks better with Standard, but still fuzzy around text edges. the whole screen just seems hazy... i tried the 21" Gateway last yr and i remember it seemed kinda hazy.. but the text was still sharp with ClearType smoothing. there was another one on display at BBY and it looked blurry too.. thought it was the settings, but i can't get it the way i want still. NWN2 text was blurry~~~ :(

Over DVI my text is crisp and sharp, wasn't as sharp over VGA, but that is common on all LCD displays, DVI gives a sharper image.

Sounds to me like you should return yours for another or learn to properly adjust your display.

Just my opinion, but I find this Gateway 24" to be simply amazing....and Huge! Like I have stated before I have been looking for faults as I am still in my return period, but I just don't have any issues with this display.

Just my opinion, but I find this Gateway 24" to be simply amazing....and Huge! Like I have stated before I have been looking for faults as I am still in my return period, but I just don't have any issues with this display.

O, three times, four times blessed! :(

I still got 10 days to play with it and figure out the text and colors thing. time to play Pirates! :)

O, three times, four times blessed! :(

I still got 10 days to play with it and figure out the text and colors thing. time to play Pirates! :)

What is BBY?

You got a display model also, I know it's a great deal but you never know what those have gone through on the shelves.

If I have my PS3 set up on through HDMI/DVI, the monitor set to 1:1 and my PS3 set to a 1080p resolution should there be small black bars on the screen. The reason I ask is because this bad boy of a monitor came in yesterday and I hooked it up after work late last night and the PS3 had the bars. When I woke up this morning to play again the black bars are gone. :confused:

What is BBY?

You got a display model also, I know it's a great deal but you never know what those have gone through on the shelves.

Best Buy... my friend works there and told me about it. they put up a new one on display out of the box.. looked the same. felt just as warm. i think i worry more about what it's gone through in transport. cuz boxes just get thrown all over the place. i bought 2x NEC 19" as display models a year ago, one of which i'm using now, the other i gave to my dad. they still run great. the gateway was up for 3 weeks at most. my friend told me people see the price tag (679, i think...) and just move rite along... lol

If I have my PS3 set up on through HDMI/DVI, the monitor set to 1:1 and my PS3 set to a 1080p resolution should there be small black bars on the screen. The reason I ask is because this bad boy of a monitor came in yesterday and I hooked it up after work late last night and the PS3 had the bars. When I woke up this morning to play again the black bars are gone. :confused:

There should be black bars as it supports 1:1, without the black bars is it full screen? Sounds like the setting changed to wide from 1:1 if there aren't any bars.

There should be black bars as it supports 1:1, without the black bars is it full screen? Sounds like the setting changed to wide from 1:1 if there aren't any bars.

Ok this is what just now happend. I got home and read your post then I turned on the PS3 and sure enough the black bars were back. Then I popped in Resistance and the bars went away. I checked to see if the monitor was still in 1:1 and it shows that it is. Then I switched back to vga (my pc) and surfed the net for a bit then went back to the PS3 and the bars were back. Is there an auto setting I should disable or something? Like I said though when the black bars are not there the monitor still states that it is in 1:1.

Gotcha. I actually just looked at the info screen and saw it was in 720p. If the PS3 menu screen starts off in 1080p and then I play something that is in 720p and then switch the game off why doesn't the menu screen just go back to 1080p instead of me having to switch to vga then back to dvi (which is they way I get to go back at this time)? Oh and right now I cannot select the "auto" setting on the monitors menu screen. Last night I remember hitting "auto" on accident on a couple of occasions. What did I do by hitting that? And why can't I select the feature now?

Appreciate the help btw ferris. :)

I'm hopefully going to pick one up tonight from BB (CC pricematch, 629 + tax -20 gift card)

I've been staring at the display model in store for a few weeks now, and I really don't understand the problems with display angles people are having. the angles look fantastic to me.

I'm not sure I understand the complaints about brightness either. The image looked very bright, yes, but also crisp with nice colors. Granted, maybe a fully white webpage or text doc or something would be worse, but its worth a try.

However, theres horrible, HORRIBLE color banding on the one screen with theblue background, I'm assuming thats just because of the computer they have it hooked up to (either vga, or the vid card, or it being set to 16bit color or something)

Gotcha. I actually just looked at the info screen and saw it was in 720p. If the PS3 menu screen starts off in 1080p and then I play something that is in 720p and then switch the game off why doesn't the menu screen just go back to 1080p instead of me having to switch to vga then back to dvi (which is they way I get to go back at this time)? Oh and right now I cannot select the "auto" setting on the monitors menu screen. Last night I remember hitting "auto" on accident on a couple of occasions. What did I do by hitting that? And why can't I select the feature now?

Appreciate the help btw ferris. :)

The Auto setting is for VGA, that won't be available in DVI. Now the PS3 menu SHOULD revert to 1080p after you are done playing a game, that doesn't sound right actually.

So you have a 1080p with bars menu, then you play Resistance, and when you go back to the menu it's full screen?

Back