Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

1 week so far and going strong with a NOV. 06 display. No buzzing, tearing, smearing, back light bleeding, or heat (keeps fingers crossed). My display even excepts 1080p signals over component 1 perfectly with 1:1!:)

Ferris23,

Thanks for the link, but that is an HDMI switch, and I am looking for a DVI switch. I wish that this monitor had an HDMI port, but unfortunately it doesn't. Looks like a great switch though.

Anyone out there using a DVI switch with this Gateway monitor that can make a recommendation? Again, I would want to use it to switch between a DVI cable going to my 8800 GTX, and another going to my PS3 for 1080p. Thanks for any help that can be provided!

Yes I know, just get a cheap DVI to HDMI cable from there and your set, it will still be cheaper than any DVI switch.

Sorry for being slow Ferris, but I am not following you exactly. I have to go DVI out of my 8800 GTX.

Are you saying to do this (below)?:

PC (8800 GTX) convert DVI to HDMI
PS3 HDMI

Both into your switch, and then re-convert the HDMI to DVI coming out?

Seems like a lot of conversions, but if you've had success with this kind of thing let me know.

Well I have been happy with mine for the month I have owned it. The only complaint I have is the blacks but I can live with it.

Sadly though this morning as I was checking email the thing went black. Gateway splash screen when turning it on then nothing. Could not even see the menu if I selected it from the side panel. When I unplugged the monitor from the pc, did not even give a "no input signal" message. If I used my second display to disable and enable it in the Catalyst software would get a picture for less then a second. Called gateway and they are shipping me a new one. Was nice talking to a English speaking rep on both phone calls, so far my experience with Gateway support has been very good.

Wow, excellent to hear that Gateway support is spot on. They may not have the best tech support in the world, but as long as they will do an advance replacement I'm a happy camper.

Sorry for being slow Ferris, but I am not following you exactly. I have to go DVI out of my 8800 GTX.

Are you saying to do this (below)?:

PC (8800 GTX) convert DVI to HDMI
PS3 HDMI

Both into your switch, and then re-convert the HDMI to DVI coming out?

Seems like a lot of conversions, but if you've had success with this kind of thing let me know.

First of all, with all digital cables and all fairly short lengths you will lose not a lick of image quality.

Basically here is what I have:

1) From monitor to HDMI switch using a DVI to HDMI cable. DVI out from the monitor and HDMI in to the switch.

This guy:

24041.jpg

Now that goes into the OUT port on the switch.

2) The PS3 is straight HDMI, so HDMI out from the PS3 to HDMI IN port 1 on the switch.

3) The PC again uses a DVI to HDMI cable. DVI out from the PC to HDMI IN port 2 on the switch using the same cable mentioned above.

Again you are using all digital connections with no "conversions" taking place with the actual signal.

Works a treat with no hand shake issues, no image quality loss and it's easier switching the DVI/HDMI switch with a push button than it is cycling through a monitors OSD to change input source. Supports 1080P and all aspect ratios, it's essentially a cheap way to get multiple digital inputs on any display. They also sell a 5 port I think.

My local CompUSA just got in nine new monitors, so I would assume these are the newest ones, not the November ones with this buzzing problem everybody is buzzing about.

I think I will take the plunge and buy it tomorrow.

I have several questions, and these answers would be purely matters of opinion, but I would appreciate any input. Hey! There is no wrong answer here!

I have a new Core 2 duo with 2 gigs of ram, with the Accelerator X3000 integrated video card. I don't do any "gaming" right now, but I want to get the best quality display I can. I do not have a whole lot of money to throw around, but on the other hand, I want to get the maximum potential out of this monitor. So:

*Should I spend the $100 or so on a Nvidia GeForce GS 7300 (PCI-express), and the $20 or $30 on the DVI cable?

*Is there a better choice than the Nvidia GeForce GS 7300?

*Is it a must to have the DVI hookup for the best quality display?

*Should I spend the extra $70 or so to buy CompUSA's 2 year extended warranty?

Thanks Ferris! I get it now. Sorry for being so slow. I am going to give this a shot, sounds like a great option. Thanks again!

ID64 that link doesn't work.

Furthermore I have done nothing BUT game on this thing and have no issues that I find bad enough to complain about. Some very minor ghosting is only noticeable if I stick my face to the screen and try to find it.

Try another link...but really if it bothers you that much take it back. Again I have 360, PS3 and PC games and have nothing but praise for this display.

ID64 that link doesn't work.

Furthermore I have done nothing BUT game on this thing and have no issues that I find bad enough to complain about. Some very minor ghosting is only noticeable if I stick my face to the screen and try to find it.

Try another link...but really if it bothers you that much take it back. Again I have 360, PS3 and PC games and have nothing but praise for this display.

Thanks for suggestion and I'll definitely take it back. I am trying to find out if that's an issue across all model and people just have different reaction to it. I am not pushing you or anyone else on this board to return this monitor. Just set you background to blue and move mouse cursor left-right. do you see a shadow trail?

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=3741994231621228051

How do you make an AVI like that?

I did the same thing against a blue background and have nothing even close to that.

Just plugged in my Gateway, and wow! Bright! I can't believe how dull my 17" CRT looks next to it.

ID64, I am not getting that dark ghosting like in your video. However, when I look closely, it looks almost like I do have it, but it's not dark.. I'm not sure if it's ghosting or what, but I do see a little ghost-like mouse pointer when I move my mouse around. It's not really blurring, but if I move the pointer quickly, there is a little something there. It almost looks like a little halo of slight-brightness around the pointer.

I fired up UT2k4 and it looked great. I didn't see any ghosting.. nothing that caught my eye, at least..

I'm off to do further testing!

umm....I mean I set my background to blue, moved the mouse around, and had nothing like those trails your video is showing.

I haven't seen trails like that since back in college.

;)

How did you capture that video?

Just plugged in my Gateway, and wow! Bright! I can't believe how dull my 17" CRT looks next to it.

ID64, I am not getting that dark ghosting like in your video. However, when I look closely, it looks almost like I do have it, but it's not dark.. I'm not sure if it's ghosting or what, but I do see a little ghost-like mouse pointer when I move my mouse around. It's not really blurring, but if I move the pointer quickly, there is a little something there. It almost looks like a little halo of slight-brightness around the pointer.

I fired up UT2k4 and it looked great. I didn't see any ghosting.. nothing that caught my eye, at least..

I'm off to do further testing!

Let it warm up for a 30 min and try it again.

umm....I mean I set my background to blue, moved the mouse around, and had nothing like those trails your video is showing.

I haven't seen trails like that since back in college.

;)

How did you capture that video?

With Sony SR1 HDTV camera, downconverted to divx

My local CompUSA just got in nine new monitors, so I would assume these are the newest ones, not the November ones with this buzzing problem everybody is buzzing about.

I think I will take the plunge and buy it tomorrow.

I have several questions, and these answers would be purely matters of opinion, but I would appreciate any input. Hey! There is no wrong answer here!

I have a new Core 2 duo with 2 gigs of ram, with the Accelerator X3000 integrated video card. I don't do any "gaming" right now, but I want to get the best quality display I can. I do not have a whole lot of money to throw around, but on the other hand, I want to get the maximum potential out of this monitor. So:

*Should I spend the $100 or so on a Nvidia GeForce GS 7300 (PCI-express), and the $20 or $30 on the DVI cable?

*Is there a better choice than the Nvidia GeForce GS 7300?

*Is it a must to have the DVI hookup for the best quality display?

*Should I spend the extra $70 or so to buy CompUSA's 2 year extended warranty?

Note, this monitor ships with the DVI cable included, so there is no need to buy another one. If you are not gaming, but want to connect digitally, they should get an entry level card such as the GS7300 or maybe an ATI X1300 or X1600.

Tim-in-CA

Actually, you can have my video running and move your mouse pointer on the same background :)

Ehh, I just learned to live with the ghosting, it's annoying as shit, but I'm not TOO bothered by it.

I tried moving my mouse around on your video and I'm not getting the same ghosting that you are, ID64. I did find this test to test for ghosting and on that dark gray background, I do get a very little bit of similar ghosting.

ID64,
My panel has ghosting that looks exactly like yours.
Like you it shows up the worst on either a pure green screen or a mixed blue or gray screen.

The screen I have is dated as week 48 ( Nov./06 )

Other then that the screen seems fine. But the ghosting is far worse here than on my much older Samsung 213T.

BTW, I've tried both DVI & VGA connections to my 8800GTX and both have the same results.

ID64,
My panel has ghosting that looks exactly like yours.
Like you it shows up the worst on either a pure green screen or a mixed blue or gray screen.

The screen I have is dated as week 48 ( Nov./06 )

Other then that the screen seems fine. But the ghosting is far worse here than on my much older Samsung 213T.

BTW, I've tried both DVI & VGA connections to my 8800GTX and both have the same results.

Interesting... i thing we are getting somewhere!

So, as we can see there are different degree of ghosting on this panel. Looks like later manufacture date have less ghosting. That gives me hope that I can replace the one that I have later under extended warranty plan

I just went through some dead pixel tests and went through the EzTune software. No dead pixels that I could find! There was one questionable spot, but I think it was just dust.. EzTune seems to work well for adjusting the brightness and contrast and stuff. It's nice because it can control the monitor settings and you can control the PIP from the right-click menu. I was pleasantly surprised. There's even a Theft Deterrence setting in EzTune so that if the screen is removed from the system, you have to enter a PIN to get it to work again!

Also, my screen was manufactured in Week 49, 2006, which would be the first week of December, I guess.

The screen still seems so bright! I'm still very impressed with how much more colorful it is than my old monitor. My pictures look so much more vibrant on this thing.

One thing that is bothering me is that there is definitely banding in gradients. And I loves me some gradients. After going through the EzTune software, the "User" preset seems to produce the least banding, but the banding is definitely there.

New version of EZTUNE!

I am not sure if it's THAT new but anyways :) version 1.40. Works fine with nTune now.

ez.JPG

Do people with the new (December, 2006 or later) monitors have buzzing sounds coming from their Gateway FPD2475Ws?

Damn, I got the same issue as on the green, blue and gray. The worst is on the green. When I move my mouse around there's a dark colored shadow that moves along with the mouse pointer. It is really noticeable. It looks like a tadpole swimming across my desktop when I move it around. I tried the same thing on my 14.1" IBM notebook and it does show a slight shadow trail as I move the mouse. But, it's not dark in color and nowhere near as long a trail as how it is on the Gateway 24"

Decent I think. At least that is the impression I got from a poster a few pages back who said they did a cross ship replacement. What are you exchanging?

It took a couple of email back-and-forths, but Gateway is sending a new monitor. I emailed on Saturday night regarding the backlight problem and some slight buzzing, and the first tech said I should check my video card. Boilerplate response, so I pushed the issue and asked if I could get a replacement. They agreed, and sent one out yesterday.

Gateway will put a temporary authorization of $98 on a credit card, though. When they receive the old monitor, this authorization will be removed. Of course, if you don't ship the old one back, you'll get charged the $98 plus the retail of a new monitor.

I'm just hopeful that I'll receive a unit without the backlight bleed and without the buzzing.

1 week so far and going strong with a NOV. 06 display. No buzzing, tearing, smearing, back light bleeding, or heat (keeps fingers crossed). My display even excepts 1080p signals over component 1 perfectly with 1:1!:)

I had no buzzing or backlight bleed for almost three weeks, and then both problems started. Right now, the backlight bleed is horrible and getting worse, particularly in the upper-left corner.

I had no buzzing or backlight bleed for almost three weeks, and then both problems started. Right now, the backlight bleed is horrible and getting worse, particularly in the upper-left corner.
Okay, now I'm really worried. I've had mine for just over a week and have not had any problems yet. I've been reading all these issues and thought I was lucky. Now after reading your post, I'm not sure if I should just return it and avoid the hassle. What was your build date?
I can still return it to the store as I'm within the 14 days. If you had to do it all over again, would you? I've been undecided between this Gateway and the Dell FPW2407. The Dell has had problems too, but it is now on it's fourth revision.

Okay, now I'm really worried. I've had mine for just over a week and have not had any problems yet. I've been reading all these issues and thought I was lucky. Now after reading your post, I'm not sure if I should just return it and avoid the hassle. What was your build date?
I can still return it to the store as I'm within the 14 days. If you had to do it all over again, would you? I've been undecided between this Gateway and the Dell FPW2407. The Dell has had problems too, but it is now on it's fourth revision.

I love this monitor. I had a Nov06 build date (I'll check the week when I get home), and I'm optimistic that I'll receive a Dec06 or later, which seem to not have the buzzing or backlight issues. The Gateway tech was aware of both problems (after some prodding), but who knows - they may send me a display with the same issues.

Some interesting observations about my December model. As of last night, I now have a buzzing noise in back, not very loud but it is there. It was NOT there 2 weeks ago. So that is annoying, however it is only audible when I stick my ear to the back of the monitor. Which I don't do often. :)

I also noticed something else, the room I keep my PC in is cold until I run a little space heater. The night before was the first time I turned off my PC and monitor in quite some time. On a cold boot, with cold components, Ithe screen had slight back light bleed in all four corners. However after about 30 minutes the monitor was back to an even black screen.

I think the bleed is by design or a part of the way the monitor works when the bulbs are cold and as far as the buzzing? Well, it isn't that bad and personally I don't think it is a sign of any defect, just an annoyance to those who really have it loud.

I may swap my display out once more at Best Buy, not sure if I feel like doing all that again though.

Back