Gateway FPD2485W - 24" HD LCD

How can the 360 output to more than one display device at a time?

From the video of Forza 2, you can hook up 3 360's on a router and blammo. There's your setup. So basically it's 3x360's 3xForza 2 and a router. If I'm correct.

:p

I went ahead and exchanged the November model I posted about several weeks ago (no idea what page my original post is on anymore) and hand-picked a December model. I was disappointed to find that the December model I chose, in addition to having the same (minor) issues my November model had, also had the infamous buzzing power supply and the USB ports didn't work (when I plugged them in I got a "This USB device is not recognized" message from windows). So I took it back again and handpicked a January model - much better. No bleed, no buzzing, Xbox 360 games play great over VGA in 1080p - I'm happy. I still notice a little bit of ghosting under certain conditions (usually bright colors moving on a dark gray background) but it's by no means a deal-breaker for me. I had a houseful of people over this past Saturday night playing games on the 360 and nobody had any complaints about the picture.

Unfortunately, my USB ports still seem non-functional with my January model. Now, when I plug in the USB cable, I get nothing - no message from windows at all. Other USB devices that I plug into my computer work fine, but when I plug the USB cord for the monitor in I get no response from Windows. Has anybody else had any problems with their USB ports? When they worked on the November model I had, I didn't have to do anything special - I just plugged in the cable and they all worked. I'm wondering since this is the 2nd monitor in a row I've had that the USB doesn't work is maybe I'm doing something wrong? But it's USB, you just plug it in and it works...right?

I just purchased this monitor at best buy last weekend, and honestly im happy with it, i dont have any issues with buzzing or dead pixels at all. Ill check to see the date of manufacture and post back with u guys, but im happy with it, now i just need to upgrade the rest of my system so i can play BF 2142 @ 1920x1200!

I guess this thread is dead, a indication not to buy this monitor...

There were probably no responses because people didn't know where to start. Your research is dated, why would you even consider buying a 2405? The 2407 and 244T use the same S-PVA panel, the major differences being the drive electronics and price tag and now, the ability to do 1:1 with the 2407 Rev. A04. Its also been reported the Gateway uses the same S-PVA panel as the 2407 and 244T. How exactly did you come to the conclusion the Gateway was a 6-bit panel?

Anyways, I'll make it easy for you. If you're mostly concerned with color accuracy (the only point that came across clearly in your post), get the Dell 2407 or Samsung.

The End.

From the video of Forza 2, you can hook up 3 360's on a router and blammo. There's your setup. So basically it's 3x360's 3xForza 2 and a router. If I'm correct.

:p

You have to purchase three - THREE - XBOX 360's to do this? For that price, I'll purchase another 8800GTX and a couple more 24" Gateway's and play GTR 2 on my PC.

Unfortunately, my USB ports still seem non-functional with my January model. Now, when I plug in the USB cable, I get nothing - no message from windows at all. Other USB devices that I plug into my computer work fine, but when I plug the USB cord for the monitor in I get no response from Windows. Has anybody else had any problems with their USB ports? When they worked on the November model I had, I didn't have to do anything special - I just plugged in the cable and they all worked. I'm wondering since this is the 2nd monitor in a row I've had that the USB doesn't work is maybe I'm doing something wrong? But it's USB, you just plug it in and it works...right?

Your PC's USB port is probably not supplying sufficient power to the Gateway. Check this in the Device Manger if you're using Windows.

I recently got a replacement monitor from Gateway. It's a Dec. model (grumble...grumble). I've been putting it through it's paces to see if it's any better than my last. The inverse ghosting thing is just as bad and is becoming less bearable everyday. To add insult to injury the new one has a dead pixel or two.

I'm going to wait till Gateway gets my old one back and they take the held charge off my credit card. Then I'll try to get back in touch with their customer service and see where that goes again. Maybe I can get a later model. Although what I really want to do is talk to some one higher up about this inverse ghosting thing. As of right now I will never buy another monitor with overdrive.

Currently my review of this monitor reads: Great looking, nice size, good inputs, terrible inverse ghosting. Good for those who a big monitor for static images, not for those who play FPSs or other fast moving games.

As far as the service menu thing goes: My friend sets up various display systems for businesses and has lot of experience with service menus. He said while a lot of TVs have service menus, monitors almost never have them in his experience.

I just purchased this monitor at best buy last weekend, and honestly im happy with it, i dont have any issues with buzzing or dead pixels at all. Ill check to see the date of manufacture and post back with u guys, but im happy with it, now i just need to upgrade the rest of my system so i can play BF 2142 @ 1920x1200!
Do you notice any bleeding or banding issues?

Been reading this thread lately and decided to give it a shot anyways.

I'm here to give my impression, since it seems lately this thread has been hijacked into a "Why the Gateway FPD2485W sucks" thread.

I am coming from an HP 2335 and decided that I could give the HP as a gift and upgrade myself to a slightly larger screen size (same max res. on both monitors).

1. PC Gaming
I have played Neverwinter Nights 2 and Battlefield 2142 on the monitor.
I have not noticed any ghosting or tearing, either through gaming or normal usage.

My PC setup:
Athlon X2 3800+
eVGA 8800GTX running at 1920x1200

2. Buzzing
I don't hear anything at all and I think I'm pretty sensitive to things like that.
I could imagine it being at a pitch where younger people might hear it. Kind of like that sound that stores were using to keep kids from loitering.
There is also the case where some people did get bad monitors.

3. Xbox 360 over VGA
I went and got the VGA cable from BB today (been meaning to).
Hooked up the XBox and played Full Auto, since I figure it is one of the more screen active games I own.
Resolution was set to 1920x1080.
I had video scaling set to 1:1 and it displayed black bars on the top and bottom.
I did not see any tearing whatsoever and it was ok.
I cycled through the available resolutions and found only two of them were weird.
848x480 and 1280x720 did not display properly. I was given a screen with a very green tinge to it. I can only assume that it was due to the monitor not supporting it, since they were not in the list of supported video modes.

4. Heat
The monitor does get hot to the touch. Even the connectors are hot enough to notice.
Not sure if that's a bad sign or if it's just the design. I believe the HP has a thicker casing, since I can feel warm air from it, but the plastic isn't that hot.

5. Component
I hope that no one was expecting this to have 1080p support, since it's not listed on the site or in the manual.
I noticed an issue where if I had the following set up:
Main -> Component 2
PIP -> DVI
The component picture got shifted to the left.
The only way to correct it was to power cycle the monitor after I turned PIP off.
This is the only combination that exhibited this odd behaviour.
I figure it's probably a design issue, since both monitors I had exhibited the same problem.
I believe component is scaled to fill the vertical, I always get the side bars for the component output.

6. fine print
I did not test the 1080i output using the XBox 360, cause I was too lazy to unhook the HD component cable from my HT setup.
I might get around to it this week to check out component using resolutions > 480p.
I'll also try to watch some DVD's on it to see how it looks, though I have my own HT setup for that.

I noticed several posts where people are giving the definitive cry of doom to stay away from this monitor.
From what I read (and that was a lot of messages to go through), all I can say is that ther are also several people who have had no issues.
Please refrain from the definitive cry of doom, since we all know that the majority of complaints will make it online, but satisfied people have no need to seek out forums like these.
I'm sure the BenQ thread will have it's share of problems soon enough.
There may be QC issues with the Gateway, as with all companies, but I'll see how it goes.

These are the issues with the BenQ monitor that kill it for me:

1. PIP only works with one digital and one analog source. So you could not do DVI + VGA or DVI + Component. I read this in the FP241W manual. I usually have a last gen console plugged in, for when I get bored. (The current gens are plugged in to my 42" Westy).

2. 1:1 pixel mapping (at least until the fix is released). I have some reservations with this, considering the BenQ monitor manual implies that they did not plan on having it at all for the FP241W (not listed in the manual). I'm assuming they felt the pressure from inquiries as well as reviews and message boards (companies do monitor the internet) that they decided to finally include it.

3. Lack of a local store to buy it from. I like seeing the physical object, since I'll be staring at it a lot.

Summary:
Pros:
+ 1:1 pixel mapping for DVI and VGA
+ got the 10% discount from BB (was not able to swing the 12%)
+ was able to use $50 reward zone bucks
+ 2 component inputs
+ MSRP of $679
+ PIP works with almost any combination of sources
+ Cool touch sensitive flush controls :cool:

Cons:
- anomaly with Component 2 + DVI PIP.
- non-standard Component connector layout (RGB vs. RBG) [More of a PITA than a con]
- swivel located on base rather than on support arm (whole bottom base swivels)
- state taxes :mad:
- 1 year warranty.

Personal gripes:
- one dead blue sub pixel :(

To anyone looking at this monitor, if you can afford the time, it doesn't hurt to buy it from the local BB and give it a test run.
Inital feeling: Unless you're super anal or need exacting specifications due to work (basicall photo/video editing), I think this is a good monitor for the price.

I will be keeping it for a while, so I'll see how it goes.
I will be using it primarily for PC gaming, programming, and internet; plus the dead sub-pixel doesn't bother me. Wouldn't have noticed it had I not gone looking. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
I did end up getting the 3 year warranty, since that + using Amex gives me 4 yrs of warranty on this sucker.
Right now, I'm more inclined to keep it.

I did buy two monitors and both had a dead sub pixel in the same area (I felt it was the same location).
First one had worse backlight leakage. Second one seems pretty damn good.
I did notice the serial numbers were close together, so I wonder if panel runs could have the same problem in bunches... can anyone answer this?
Obviously, I returned the first one.

Thank you for your post, this has helped me a lot. I want something that works out of the box and does everything it says it will, without any hassle on my part to work around bugs with certain modes or certain inputs. If I have to pay a little bit extra for that, I'm willing to do so.

I spend a few hours in 2 BB's and 1 compUSA yesterday looking at the 3 Gateway FPD2485W. Here is what I found out
- Gateway FPD2485W (MGL6B, Nov 2006) used on the Intel GMA (Graphics Media Accelerator) X3000 seem to reproduce the exact same problems posted in this forum (banding, distortion at lower resolutions, black screen at lower resolutions, image shrink at 1680x1050 with black bars on all 4 corners and ghosting.

However, when I tested the GatewayFPD2485W (another MGL6B, Nov 2006) on the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE there was no banding, no ghosting, no distortion at lower resolutions, no black screens when changing resolutions, no image shrink at 1680x1050 and no black bars at lower resolution and no buzzing or any audio noise. I didn't notice any input lag either.

Therefore, it appears to me that some of these issues are simply related to an inadequate video card. However, I am sure there are some people who simply had a bad monitor. As it stands now, I've found 2 BB's in my area with a MGQ71 in stock. I didn't read that the x3000 or the 7300 LE have HDCP compliance.

As aaronjb said above, this sounds to me like a power issue (although I find it strange that the USB hub on the monitor would be receiving it's power through the USB cable and not from the monitor's own power supply -- anyone know if this is typical?). But anyway -- which USB port are you plugging this into on your computer? You might try a different one if you haven't already. I've had some issues before with the USB ports on the front of my case not supplying enough power to run some devices and had much better luck with the ports in the rear of the case (directly attached to the motherboard). It could be that some USB ports in your computer aren't supplying enough power, but you never noticed this before because you were using low-power devices.

bootstrap said:
But anyway -- which USB port are you plugging this into on your computer? You might try a different one if you haven't already.

Yeah, I've gone through all the USB ports on my machine, front and back. None seem to notice when the Gateway is plugged into it. All my other USB peripherals work fine when plugged into my desktop. I've even tried the Gateway in ports that I use regularly for other things and still no dice.

bootstrap said:
It could be that some USB ports in your computer aren't supplying enough power, but you never noticed this before because you were using low-power devices.

Here's the odd thing - this is my 3rd Gateway (returned my first two for various reasons stated earlier in this thread). The very first one I had (a November model), the USB worked great - I plugged it into my machine and it recognized the Gateway's USB hub right away. The 2nd one I had (a December model), I would get a "This USB device is not recognized by windows" message when I plugged it in. Now, when I plug this third one in, I don't get any message at all. I'm inclined to agree that it's some sort of power issue, but what I don't understand is if that's the case why did the first monitor's USB hub work? Unless they changed something with the power usage on the USB hub from the November to January models? I dunno.

It's not that big of a deal to me, since I've got plenty of extra USB ports free on my machine. Obviously it would be nice if they worked on the Gateway tho. I'm going to try it out on one of my other desktops to see if I get the same result.

I would like to chim in on the USB voltage subject.

I baught a 6 hub USB expansion box that had it's own power cord to power the unit. It also came with a warning that said most computers will be able to run this device ok, but recomended you always plug it directly into the back of the computer. They felt your computers back USB ports will usually be the strongest on your machine. All the better for running a USB hubb.

The issue really is we have 2 different indipendant voltages involved.

The USB hubs power for the device itself.

The USB's signal voltage that is supplied by your PC, and communicates with each device plugged into the USB, and relayes it back to the computer. It strength is drawn directly from the 1 port you plug into on the computer.

The HUB's manual said that some PC manufactures use too low of a signal voltage on the front USB ports, and even sometimes the back USB ports too. Most PC's do fine but off brand units may be running lower USB signal voltage.

For every port on a USB hub, the signal has to be divided evenly accrost each active port. The signal voltage your pulling from the back of your computer's USB port, will be divided by the Gateway's USB ports. Ya gotta hope your PC likes pumping out a strong USB signal voltage or improper communication between devices and the computer will occur.

Mabey it's amps that get divided accrost each port on a USB hub? Hmmmm .... Anyway, the signal get's weaker on each divide.

Having recently purchased the Gateway FPD2485W I am promptly returning it today. The banding is horrible. It cannot display a smooth gradient and tries to color correct it which causes a "Color Correction Flicker". What I cannot live with is the horrible ghosting while playing FPS games. I created a video to show you how bad it really is. I doubt the issues are due to a low power video card. I am currently running the display off of a 2.66Ghz Mac Pro (2Gb RAM, Quad Processor Workstation) - ATI Radeon 1900 XTX. I utilized the Lagom lcd-test website. It's a great resource for checking display settings. http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

HP 1730 LCD: Day of Defeat: Source
This LCD does not ghost. This is a normal video of what it is susposed to look like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=180GSVqZZnA

Gateway FPD2485W: Day of Defeat: Source
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLwUJCerp08

Banding Problems
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzv7yUV_TAE

Gateway Banding vs Normal LCD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x7J_woAw88

Gateway Contrast Test Failure
This can be solved by cranking Contrast & Brightness too 100%. This test was conducted at 60% brightness & 60% contrast. I included it because 100% brightness & contrast burns the eyes IMHO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xfLSspLbqM

I'm in the process of uploading the other videos I have taken. The contrast is bad, the ghosting is horrible, and the monitor has a serious banding issue. Looking forward to getting a different monitor. It's really a shame. The gateway with the THX speaker bar is a gorgeous looking monitor. But it performs very poorly for Gaming and graphic design. Maybe if my needs were much simpler I could stick with it. But as it currently stands I cannot play fast paced FPS games on this monitor. It's too distracting.

Having recently purchased the Gateway FPD2485W I am promptly returning it today. The banding is horrible. It cannot display a smooth gradient and tries to color correct it which causes a "Color Correction Flicker". What I cannot live with is the horrible ghosting while playing FPS games. I created a video to show you how bad it really is. I doubt the issues are due to a low power video card. I am currently running the display off of a 2.66Ghz Mac Pro (2Gb RAM, Quad Processor Workstation) - ATI Radeon 1900 XTX.

Ghosting during Day of Defeat: Source
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLwUJCerp08

Banding Problems
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzv7yUV_TAE

Gateway Banding vs Normal LCD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x7J_woAw88

I'm in the process of uploading the other videos I have taken. The contrast is bad, the ghosting is horrible, and the monitor has a serious banding issue. Looking forward to getting a different monitor.

Could you re do those videos? I didn't see any ghosting in the first video and the banding video shows what looks like 1/3 of the monitor. Thanks

Could you re do those videos? I didn't see any ghosting in the first video and the banding video shows what looks like 1/3 of the monitor. Thanks

Look at the Window Sills. There is bad ghosting. I will upload the video of what it is susposed to look like so you can see the difference. It'll be up in about 15 mins. It also only shows 1/3 of the monitor because it's that 1/3 that has a gradient that displays banding. The other 2/3's is just white with text (It's a webpage).

Thanks!

Your display seems pretty bad, mine is nothing like that really. Some minor smearing but the banding and flickering are not an issue on my Dec. model. Not saying that yours is faulty as clearly there is a slight difference from panel to panel. But I find this display exceptional for PS3, 360 and PC gaming.

What do you mean by switch back and forth? I am on that page and things look fine when I scroll. Explain...

What do you mean by switch back and forth? I am on that page and things look fine when I scroll. Explain...

Turn your brightness & contrast to 100%. In FireFox open up two tabs. On one tab open up http://www.macworld.co.uk/business/news/index.cfm?newsid=17420. On the other tab open up http://www.cnn.com/. Look at the gradient on the left hand side of the Macworld tab. Switch back and forth between the two tabs and you can see flickering as the banding tries to work itself out. It should be a smooth gradient with no visible lines whatsoever. The gateway has a huge problem showing smooth gradients (AKA Banding).

I JUST got the dec model. there's banding issue. However, after tweaking with the eztune, the banding is less visible and the color is much more accurate. So be sure to use the software to adjust the contrast and brightness.

Now I do encounter problem where the display will loose signal from time to time, is this normal?

Look at the Window Sills. There is bad ghosting. I will upload the video of what it is susposed to look like so you can see the difference. It'll be up in about 15 mins. It also only shows 1/3 of the monitor because it's that 1/3 that has a gradient that displays banding. The other 2/3's is just white with text (It's a webpage).

Thanks!

That ghosting is characteristic of the smearing/inverse ghosting on this panel. Severity varies from panel to panel and month to month but it'll always be there in one form or another.

As for the banding, did you calibrate your colors/brightness/contrast at all? Its well documented this panel has horrible color accuracy/banding out of the box but with some tweaking and adjustments its largely correctable. What's the url to that webpage? I've compared to some of the other banding tests people have posted and its not nearly as bad as what they're seeing.

Do you notice any bleeding or banding issues?

Not that im aware of, is there a way to test it? I dont get that ghosting in battlefield 2142. BTW i have the MGL6C model, which is a december build.... Should i return it? I dont have the buzzing PSU issue or anything

If you don't notice any problems and you don't hear any sounds...

Then you're good to go and you shouldn't worry about it.

I have a Nov model and I do notice a bit of the ghosting mentioned. But it's not enough for me to return the monitor. Blacklight bleed is common on these Nov monitors I guess. This is my second. Reason why? The last one developed a nice yellow line running from top to bottom. Other than that, the image quality was good and just 1 dead pixel on an area where you couldn't see it.

My new one doesn't have any issues other than the ghosting. But if I don't look for it then it's not there.

----------

Quick question to you guys that use Photoshop and ImageReady on it.

Do you guys use the EZtune or the Photoshop Gamma thingy?

I'm curious about that.

how do i test the backlight bleed?

Download Dead Pixel Buddy. Select black as testing color.
Turn off all lights. You will see the bleed if there is any.

Usually with this panel, when it is cold or just turned on the panel edges will have bleed as th monitor warms up then bleed will lessen to a degree. Also, don't forget about your contrast and brightness levels as they may affect this.

PS3 @ 720p is full screen, for some reason. This is using HDMI to DVI of course. Again 1:1 seems to work for everything else except for PS3 @ 720p, if this is not the case then please list your settings and show a pic.

Does anybody know anything more on the 720p issue over HDMI on PS3? I installed version 1.54 on my PS3 but 720p still fills the whole screen. The aspect ratio control in fact doesn't do anything on 720p. Did anyone call Gateway for this?

Download Dead Pixel Buddy. Select black as testing color.
Turn off all lights. You will see the bleed if there is any.

Usually with this panel, when it is cold or just turned on the panel edges will have bleed as th monitor warms up then bleed will lessen to a degree. Also, don't forget about your contrast and brightness levels as they may affect this.
Ill test this when i get home and post the results.

TalonMan,

Been a while since I last posted about issues I had using Jerrods color profile. I have tried to kill any other program that deals with the display settings and reinstalled the windows color applet. I then tried to add the profile to the monitor and apply it, but still receive the same error message "Could not associate profile...". I also tried to add the profile through the display settings, color managment tab and when I try and apply it for the monitor I get "An error occurred while trying to associate gateway-fpd2485w-60contrast-61bright.icm. This is not a valid color profile."

Not sure what else to do to try and get that profile working.:(

I just got one of these (dec 2006 version) yesterday and after reading a bit here and noticing a bright bit of backlight bleed i exchanged it for a model with "MGQ71" as the serial number prefix -- this is the January 2007 version. Not only does the backlight appear to be perfect, I have no stuck pixels anymore either. The only strange thing is that I have a kind of "ghost" of very high contrast areas about 4 pixels to the left of them, like one might see from an old TV set using antennas with bad reception. This occurs with VGA and is lessened by manually setting the phase to 0. I'm about to check DVI now -- I'm pretty sure that won't show this problem -- but a strange issue popped up with the previous dec06 monitor when in DVI mode; while playing games it would occasionally go 100% black for about half a second -- I think this is an nVidia Linux driver issue, but one can hope...

I just got one of these (dec 2006 version) yesterday and after reading a bit here and noticing a bright bit of backlight bleed i exchanged it for a model with "MGQ71" as the serial number prefix -- this is the January 2007 version. Not only does the backlight appear to be perfect, I have no stuck pixels anymore either. The only strange thing is that I have a kind of "ghost" of very high contrast areas about 4 pixels to the left of them, like one might see from an old TV set using antennas with bad reception. This occurs with VGA and is lessened by manually setting the phase to 0. I'm about to check DVI now -- I'm pretty sure that won't show this problem -- but a strange issue popped up with the previous dec06 monitor when in DVI mode; while playing games it would occasionally go 100% black for about half a second -- I think this is an nVidia Linux driver issue, but one can hope...
Please post back your experience in games using the MGQ71. What I am concerned about is Ghosting and banding. You can use these websites to see if it's there or not using DVI
LCD Test
Ghosting Test

Yeah, I've gone through all the USB ports on my machine, front and back. None seem to notice when the Gateway is plugged into it. All my other USB peripherals work fine when plugged into my desktop. I've even tried the Gateway in ports that I use regularly for other things and still no dice.

Here's the odd thing - this is my 3rd Gateway (returned my first two for various reasons stated earlier in this thread). The very first one I had (a November model), the USB worked great - I plugged it into my machine and it recognized the Gateway's USB hub right away. The 2nd one I had (a December model), I would get a "This USB device is not recognized by windows" message when I plugged it in. Now, when I plug this third one in, I don't get any message at all. I'm inclined to agree that it's some sort of power issue, but what I don't understand is if that's the case why did the first monitor's USB hub work? Unless they changed something with the power usage on the USB hub from the November to January models? I dunno.

It's not that big of a deal to me, since I've got plenty of extra USB ports free on my machine. Obviously it would be nice if they worked on the Gateway tho. I'm going to try it out on one of my other desktops to see if I get the same result.

Silly question, but are you using the USB cable that came with the monitor or one that you had lying around? Do you have another PC or notebook to try the hub out on. It seems suspcious that two consecutive montiors have the same USB hub issue.

By this time, we should all know that Ferris23 has the Panel from God, because his display exhibits not even a hint of the issues that have occurred with all other FPD2485W displays. ;)

I love this display, and I pass on its good points loud and clear on a number of forums. But to deny that it has what may be, for some folks, make-or-break issues is to not be honest.

I RMA'd one FPD2485W because of backlight bleed (a Nov. model), and now I have a Week 50 '06 model which has minimal bleeding. However, I can still see the ghosting/trailing issue.

I said my display has slight smearing, or as it has been named inverse ghosting. It does not flicker, have backlight bleed, buzzing or any banding that I can see. Panel from god? Sure, if you say so. I have numerous LCD's at work and home, all have some form of ghosting, this panel is no exception. It is also not worse than any I have used and in my opinion gets a lot of flack for no reason. Find me the perfect LCD that has NO ghosting, NO issues at all and I will buy one for you and me. Read the BenQ thread, people have issues, read the Dell 2407 thread, people have issues. LCD technology is not perfect, but it's damn good as is this monitor IMO.

Back