Gateway LT3103u Netbook

I would like to build a cooling system for one of these... does anyone have one that they would let me mess with? maybe someone in the Kansas City area? I think I could build a triple heatpipe setup for it... that should move some heat...

from the looks of it the single heat pipe barely cools the single 1.2GHz cpu... and even the tk-42 and similar low clocked duals are lucky to run...

The issue on this laptop with respect to overclocking is power, not thermal. That is, how much power the VRM can supply the CPU. When a puter just "turns off", thats the VRM failing.

So... if you increase thermal capacity, you're still gonna be limited by power capacity.

When I did the swap in one of the ones I had, I had to make sure that the laptop had been sitting turned off for a good while to make sure there was no heat in the cpu, and then it would run long enough for me to get into windows and throttle it down. Not sure what else I can tell you. What I have found is that the TK-42 is the only cpu that seems to work on a regular basis in this netbook. I have only seen stories of successful swaps with this cpu. Other's it seems to be hit or miss.

What's the difference in the other BIOS?

btw, I didnt get a confirmation email from the other forum, so i havent been able to post there.

Help please!! I just installed the tl-50 (amd turion 64 x2) into my netbook and everything is dont but when i hit the power button it only lights up for a second and then the light turns off, the fan never goes on and there is no other noise.

I re installed the stock processor and it boots and runs fine.
Any ideas guys while i still have the netbook apart?

Thx

This happened to me once when i pulled the memory and placed it back in(no processor changes or other system changes).

I re-seated the memory and it booted. ?

Sorry I didn't see the updates to this thread sooner. But, from what I have read, there are two different versions of this netbook that have different tendencies to work with different options like cpu, memory and overclocking through fsb. The following link is to a subforum of the gateway forums. It is dedicated specifically to the lt3103u. It's full of great information, and hopefully you guys can find some answers there. Unfortunately, short of what has already been mentioned, I don't have any advice I can give you.

http://www.gatewaynetbooks.com/index.php/forums/11-hacks

I'm considering getting a TL-60 or another S1G1 45nm SOI proc. Are you aware of anyone trying one of these?

I have a L310 I am not using... it's for sale... make offer

1.2GHz Dual core, 512k x 2 L2, 13w...
it's basically a dual core version of the CPU already on this Gateway, but is draws the sam amount of power as the stock L110 1.2 Single core

it's only a few days old... just came out of a Aspire

could just be my specific machine rejecting it :(

not crying for a $5 project hehe

what is the price on the L310 you're selling btw? I do want to upgrade the processor to at least a dual core

could just be my specific machine rejecting it :(

not crying for a $5 project hehe

what is the price on the L310 you're selling btw? I do want to upgrade the processor to at least a dual core

well its kinda a new CPU, it has maybe 4 or 5 hours on it... but honestly I have no clue what i want for it... PM me an offer, lol

The issue on this laptop with respect to overclocking is power, not thermal. That is, how much power the VRM can supply the CPU. When a puter just "turns off", thats the VRM failing.

So... if you increase thermal capacity, you're still gonna be limited by power capacity.

it has more issues than that honestly :(

I slapped a TF-20 in my gateway and did some performance test/comparisons using Performance test.

And yes it is at almost 2Ghz :D

cT3sJ.png

I wouldn't run it like this indefinitely though, it tends to get toasty.

Sorry for the long img (unless you like it), and that the configs aren't listed all the way down.

8dDzb.png

Last edited:
Sorry for bumping an old thread but it is relevant.

Will the TL-60 go right into a LT3103u? I ve got one wasting away here and it seems like $50 could go a long way to sprucing this thing up. Mainly looking to just making it zippy for surfing and I use it on some low demand tuning software for my car.

Just upgraded this bad boy and I wanted to share my findings:

- Windows 8 Pro 64 bit installs fine and finds most of the drivers itself. The one exception is the graphics drivers. I was able to use the 64-bit windows 7 drivers off of gateway's site, but I had to let windows install them. If I use the installer it will crap out.

- I tried upgrading the wireless card to a Intel Ultimate N 633ANHMW. The laptop would not POST with it installed and I'm not sure why exactly as there is no WLAN whitelisting with this laptop (so far as I can tell). Your mileage may vary, but I've already seen other posters have similar findings after searching for a resolution.

- I upgraded the laptop with a dual core AMD L310 which makes everything so much smoother over the the single core L110. The bad news? My board's power delivery can't handle the L310 fully. It will lock up the computer and go to a black screen when running Intel Burn Test, LinX, or Prime 95. That said, I was able to get the new CPU mostly stable using crystal CPUID to change the multiplier and voltage (I have a scheduled task that sets the new clocks and voltage at start up). I run the CPU at 1GHz and 0.8V. My motherboard has mention of "Rev C." on it if that helps.

- I was able to update the laptop with a sandforce Kingston 3K 128GB SSD with relative ease.

Why did you choose this over the other higher clocking dual cores tried by other members?

Do you think the power brick is having problems delivering enough juice or the board itself just can't handle it?

Why did you choose this over the other higher clocking dual cores tried by other members?

Do you think the power brick is having problems delivering enough juice or the board itself just can't handle it?

I went with the L310 for two reasons. It was cheaper than any Turion X2s and Gateway's site listed it as compatible with the LT31. So I thought I'd have the easiest time with it. Go figured. :D

I think it's the power delivery circuitry on the motherboard that's my problem here. The 6-cell battery I have and the power brick are the same that come with the LT31s that do include the L310 by default (if I recall correctly). Indeed, it didn't matter if I had just the battery plugged in or used just the power brick with no battery -- it would always lock up running IBT or Prime95.

That said, I've only gotten 1 blue screen and 1 black screen crash since I did the upgrade at the end of January with the chip running at .8V with 1GHz clock speed. If I look in the event viewer there are several WHEA logger events that windows generally corrects. The vast majority of these occur before my scheduled task to change the clock speed is fired. However, I do have another scheduled task that fires if windows ever sees a WHEA logger event while I'm actually using windows so I can monitor stability. So far this has only happened twice.

Hope this all helps someone.

Back