Gateway MX7525

Mh0user

Limp Gawd
i was wondering if anyone has had any exp. with this model. the specs are everything i want (minus the slow hdd - can be fixed) and at a decent price. i will mainly be using it for gaming and school.

Best Buy

thx to anyone that can give me feekback.

well there are a few things
1. Slow hdd as you said
2. only does 1.5gb(odd it doesnt to 2gb)
3. video card not that good

Sure it may play some games at lower res, but for ~$1400ish you can get something better. I think dell just had the new dual core duo for around that after coupons(may be over now) and for around that price it had 7800 go, 7200rpm sata hdd, can do 2gb of ram, ect. I guess it just depends what you want to use it for, and maby im a bit spoiled with my good deal(I9300 1gbddr2, 6800 go, 60gb 7200rpm, dual layer, 17"ws with truelife, ect, for around $1230 shipped).

i mostly do massively multiplayer gaming (WoW, FFXI, EQ, EQ2) and im looking for something that will 64-bit app ready. as this will be my first notebook purchase...i want the best performance and a lil eye candy when i play my games

well at best this will give you a little eye candy, but i wouldnt count on a whole lot. Its roughly comparable to a 9600xt desktop series. If you want amd 64bit then your selection of graphics card for this price range is pretty slim, trust me i looked around. I ended up going with the 9300 and couldnt be happier(sure i would have liked to go amd, but i wanted a good gaming laptop). When i had my 6800 go it scored around 4200 or so i believe in 3dmark05, would run half life 2 maxed out. Now i put in a 7800gtx go and now get 7500 in 3dmark05.

something like this may be better since they have the x700 (though they only have 64mb and the x600 has 128mb, but still.
This one
or
This one

the X700 has 8 pixel pipelines and 6 vertex engines
the x600 has 4 pixel pipelines and 2 vertex ones

in referance to your previous post about upgrading your gfx card in your laptop is there anyway to find out if im able to do the same if i were to get this gateway. like i said im fairly new to the whole laptop area. also where would i go about obtaining such hardware. thx for the help :) i thought no one was going to anwser this thread.

well i think there may have been one or two gateway models you could upgrade, but i dont remember which ones, and i wouldnt count on being able to do it on this one. Check out notebookforums.com, thats where ive learned most of my information. The dell 9300/xps2 are some of the few that are able to uprade, though you must get the card directly from them.

hmm i checked out that site read that this uses hypermemory where it has 256 shared memory...is that a good thing?

I think this is a better deal:

http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/system/ntbkx649700.asp?v=d

I have had an older model of that Gateway notebook. Great notebook, dont get me wrong. But as soon as you said you want to play with eye candy this notebook no longer really is an option. I dont even know how well the x700 will keep up with eye candy in new and future games. All the MMO's you listed should do just fine on an x700 though.

Grab an MT-40 (2.2GHz w/ 64bit), 120gb 5400 rpm drive and you are at about $1500

could anyone recommend what the best notebook mem is...ie, cosair/kingston (dunno is they make ocz mem for notebooks)

also any decent hdd...

the corsair xms is the best that that site offers. its low latency ram, great for those turions.
I'd get it, its not too much more.

also, one thing to consider, something i'm actually torn on right now, that turion notebook is a rockin set up, for sure, and I really want a turion.

but.

this system. http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/system/ntbkx56700.asp?v=d

can be configured for the same general price, with almost all the same compnents, except you also get a 256mb nvidia 6600 that uses the upgradeable mxm standard.

as much as I want the turion, this system is better, and potentially upgradeable, for the same price. it also has HD audio, which is a nice touch.

happy hunting. I know I'm having trouble deciding!

ATI has not implemented it very well as of yet. They are getting a touch behind on laptop graphics, an area they had owned for some time.

yeah ive kinda been reading into this mxm standard nvidia is trying to push through...i think it would be wonderful to just be able to upgrade when you want...and not have to worry about having to buy a whole brand new notebook just to stay up with the current market of graphics technology

lol if this gateway had it id be a happy camper

Back