Gateway XHD3000 - 30" Widescreen Extreme HD Display

My XHD3000 is on its way back to J&R. I was unlucky enough to get one that had the blackout issue. At first I was going to ignore it since it only seemed to happen when i first started a game. Then its started happening more frequently. Another problem that I found very annoying, was when I would load a game (sometimes), the screen would go black and then it would change to another input (usually my sat box) as if it no longer acknowledged the DVI input.

Also, i was not overly impressed with the video when using my monitor for HDTV (Dish Network) or Blu-ray (PS3).

I went ahead and picked up a Samsung LN32A550 and so far its working out much better. Granted I no longer have the 2560x1600 (I can hear many of you yelling at me already), but the 1080 on a 32" screen still works out pretty well. In addition, Blu-ray and my Dish Network look much better on this display.

I considered just getting an exchange, but the HD visuals weren't too my satisfaction and i'm not even A/V junkie.

My XHD3000 is on its way back to J&R. I was unlucky enough to get one that had the blackout issue. At first I was going to ignore it since it only seemed to happen when i first started a game. Then its started happening more frequently. Another problem that I found very annoying, was when I would load a game (sometimes), the screen would go black and then it would change to another input (usually my sat box) as if it no longer acknowledged the DVI input.

Also, i was not overly impressed with the video when using my monitor for HDTV (Dish Network) or Blu-ray (PS3).

I went ahead and picked up a Samsung LN32A550 and so far its working out much better. Granted I no longer have the 2560x1600 (I can hear many of you yelling at me already), but the 1080 on a 32" screen still works out pretty well. In addition, Blu-ray and my Dish Network look much better on this display.

I considered just getting an exchange, but the HD visuals weren't too my satisfaction and i'm not even A/V junkie.
Well that sucks, sorry to read that. Did you calibrate the monitor at all?

Well that sucks, sorry to read that. Did you calibrate the monitor at all?

Not professionally... I have a calibration DVD that I use, and it improved it alittle, but the over all visuals were nothing to write home about.

I have to admit, there is more support (calibration and otherwise) on LCD TVs on the net (like AVS Forums) then you will find for monitors.

Ok I got my XHD3000 today for J&R, out of the box the monitor is gigantic, compared to my 2005wfp and very nice looking.

I really like the stand, I think it is metal and it feels very sturdy.

My one says the build date is June 2008.

Plugged it to my PC via Nvidia geforce 9400 GT 1gb and running at native resolution of 2560x1600 at 59.7 Hz.

No dead pixels, uniform backlight.

Does not give out as much heat as I thought it would. You can work sitting an arm length away,

I did not play with the other inputs yet.

MY only complaint is:

I am getting a bit of a headache after using it for almost 2-3 hours.

I have adjusted the brightness and gamma via the monitor control and further modified brightness,gamma and contrast via nvidia control panel.

My image is sharp and color crisp, but not as sharp and crisp as my 2005wfp.

Also, when I tried to make video of the monitor using Logitech Quickcam Orbit AF, I noticed a WAVE like pattern shimmering up and down the vertical length of the monitor.

I repeated the same experiment on the 2005wfp but I did not notice the wave like pattern.

Is it possible that for 30" monitors the refresh rate of the monitor resonates at the fps of the camera?

Can this slight shimmer or wave like ripple irritating my eye and hence giving me a headache?

Or is this normal and my eyes just need to get used to the monitor?

Any input from other xhd3000 users would be very much appreciated.

In all other way this monitor is perfect, even the sound bar is surprisingly good.

Thanks,

Nick

Finally Gonna upgrade from 21inch CRT to a LCD Monitor.

My father bought me the XHD3000 for christmas! 999 Canadian$ free shipping boxing day special. They had only 10 of them on NCIX and I got the last one. Weee!

Since it's coming ground i'm gonna get it only next week. Gonna report when I get it. Gonna try with the PC + my PS3. Can't wait!

Nickbar, I'd see how your eyes are doing after about three days with the new screen. I had a headache the first day I used mine as well. If it persists it may be a concern, but I imagine as your eyes adjust things will be just fine.

Congratulations by the way! Same to you Cyant, I think you'll love it!

I have a couple of Gateway 30" as well as Dell and HP 30 inchers. Out of the box the Gateway is too bright for normal office lighting (the Dell 3008 is even worse). You can turn down the brightness on the monitor or increase the brightness of your work area lighting with an incandescent lamp. I do both.

The AV-perfectionist line is that normal DVI cables have no business being lengthened past 2m.

1920x1200x60 is stretching the practical bandwidth of a single-link DVI cable - it needs to invade obsolete technical features (reduced blanking) to find enough places to put the pixels. I suspect it's switching back to single-link to run at this resolution, and single-link pushed to its limits does not like being 20ft long.

Paradoxical possibility... can you increase the refresh rate? Feeding it 1920x1200x85hz or something strange like that might force it into dual-link mode, if it accepts it at all.

I could not change the fresh rate. Window XP does not allow me. If I choose 16 bit color instead of 32 bit color at 1920X1200X60HZ, I don't get all green dots noise. Since I use 2560X1600X60HZ most of time, I just accept this limitation. I would like to buy a shorter DVI cable but the computer could not move close enough to the monitor due to space issue.

I am thinking to buy a DVI repeater, it may help but it is too expensive and most of them do not support dual link :(

Ok I got my XHD3000 today for J&R, out of the box the monitor is gigantic, compared to my 2005wfp and very nice looking.

I really like the stand, I think it is metal and it feels very sturdy.

My one says the build date is June 2008.

Plugged it to my PC via Nvidia geforce 9400 GT 1gb and running at native resolution of 2560x1600 at 59.7 Hz.

No dead pixels, uniform backlight.

Does not give out as much heat as I thought it would. You can work sitting an arm length away,

I did not play with the other inputs yet.

MY only complaint is:

I am getting a bit of a headache after using it for almost 2-3 hours.

I have adjusted the brightness and gamma via the monitor control and further modified brightness,gamma and contrast via nvidia control panel.

My image is sharp and color crisp, but not as sharp and crisp as my 2005wfp.

Also, when I tried to make video of the monitor using Logitech Quickcam Orbit AF, I noticed a WAVE like pattern shimmering up and down the vertical length of the monitor.

I repeated the same experiment on the 2005wfp but I did not notice the wave like pattern.

Is it possible that for 30" monitors the refresh rate of the monitor resonates at the fps of the camera?

Can this slight shimmer or wave like ripple irritating my eye and hence giving me a headache?

Or is this normal and my eyes just need to get used to the monitor?

Any input from other xhd3000 users would be very much appreciated.

In all other way this monitor is perfect, even the sound bar is surprisingly good.

Thanks,

Nick
LCD panels do not have a refresh rate. What you are probably seeing is the backlight modulating. I've noticed that after about 10 or 15 minutes (not always the rule) that the light will flicker as if it's adjusting and then it evens out until the panel goes blank for power save and the cycle repeats. It isn't annoying but I'd like a real explanation of the behavior. No one seems to know. It only happens once for the duration that the screen is lit and only lasts about a couple of minutes.

I'm beginning to think this is the 30" to get. The dell 3007wfp-hc obviously just doesn't have the same inputs - and i've received a lot of poor quality 3007wfp-hc's. I know that the dell is supposed to have less input lag - but the backlight issues and color conformity are a nightmare.

Doing returns through Dell has also become a pain in the ass. Plus at least this gateway one will accept ps3/xbox immediately.

I returned my XHD3000 when the power supply fried itself. The inputs were great and I definitely wanted an LCD that had more than a single DVI port. I bought a Dell 3008WFP, which has all the inputs found on the XHD, and it's fantastic. I like it better than the XHD in every way: panel, style, build.

Over the past month, I did a massive amount of studying on this monitor and the 3007wfp-hc. I ended up with the 3007 and I feel I made the best choice for reliability for strictly PC Gaming. I got a soundbar for the unit off of eBay for $20 shipped as well.

I spent days of my off time googling reviews on websites, youtube, etc. about this unit from the last year... and tracked down e-mails to ask if they still had the product, any issues since the review, etc. Only 2 reviewers out of at least 10 didn't have any issues since their review. 1 was a retail store, 1 was a free review site. That scared me greatly. No one gets to see that stuff about product reviews, because most reviewers don't change reviews later on down the line, or update them after they've finished them.

I really wanted the outputs, so I could keep my 360 in the computer room, but decided the Dell would be a better package in the long run. So the 360 stays in my living room.

I don't like Dell as a company, but their monitors are top notch. Gateway is getting taken over by TigerDirect (sales division) and no word yet on what will happen to the tech support. Imagining myself up a creek without a paddle 2 years from now was what made me go with the Dell.

If you have the cash, Mr. Wolf had the right idea with the 3008WFP

But the 3008wfp has more inherent latency. Quite a bit more in fact. Plus you're dealing with Dell returns, instead of J&R. That alone is worth saving 1000 dollars for. If you run into a problem with your Dell you will lose hours (up to 15 hours of support calls for my current 3007)... and isn't your time worth money as well?

Many of the XHD's problems were fixed a while ago. Blackouts are far less common now. The biggest issue is likely going to be latency for most people deciding on this monitor.

But the 3008wfp has more inherent latency. Quite a bit more in fact. Plus you're dealing with Dell returns, instead of J&R. That alone is worth saving 1000 dollars for. If you run into a problem with your Dell you will lose hours (up to 15 hours of support calls for my current 3007)... and isn't your time worth money as well?

Many of the XHD's problems were fixed a while ago. Blackouts are far less common now. The biggest issue is likely going to be latency for most people deciding on this monitor.
You're dead wrong about the Dell 3008. It's a better monitor in every way than the XHD3000 I returned. Even HDTV looks fantastic on my 3008. The biggest mistake everyone makes when calling Dell for customer support is choosing home when prompted whether your item is intended for home or business use. Choose business even if you only use it at home. You'll deal only with English-speaking reps who actually want to help. Try it. You'll be amazed at the result.

What did I say that was wrong? Its been shown that the 3008 has much more latency - throughout this thread in fact. The CSR comment speaks for itself.
I didn't speak to picture quality.

Bought one at the end of last month from newegg, but I'm receiving some minor blackout issues - Mainly when I start a game, about 5 minutes in it'll blackout for a second or so.

Dual link DVI at 2560x1600

Any ideas on how I might be able to eliminate it? It doesn't happen every time, and I've only seen it happen in WoW, but as people have mentioned it happening more frequently as time has gone on, I'm wondering if it might be worth sending it back to newegg and hoping the one I get in return doesn't have the issue.

Besides that, I really like the screen. Good picture quality once calibrated, seems to be mostly OK with backlight bleed - A bit at the top, but a very small amount in comparison to the samsung 20" I was using previously.

I only have a tad of bleed on the corners. No blackout issues so i have to advice...unless you want to make a warranty claim...im not sure if gateway started replacing monitors because of blacking out though. they didnt at first.

i just ordered an XHD3000 from J&R for $899, waiting on it now... I researched this thread, and many others but can't locate any #s on input lag for the XHD3000, does anyone have any info?

if not, I am thinking of testing this when I get mine... I'd post it if others r interested, unless its been done before. I have 1x15" and 2x19" CRTs around the house. shouldn't be hard to test for lag, eh?

I don't feel any input lag at 2560x1600... BUT when using non-native rez they input lag is hmmmm very noticable. Fortunately I don't play first person shooters on my PS3 so it dosen't bother me.

I love my XHD3000 =)

^ + 1
love the xhd 3000 - and that's considering i paid $1800 for it when it came out. $899 is a KILLER deal.

^ + 1
love the xhd 3000 - and that's considering i paid $1800 for it when it came out. $899 is a KILLER deal.

Same here; $1000 for the second. Hopefully the third will be closer to $800. Awesome monitor for the price.

Awesome monitor for the price.
Damn right! I paid less for my 30" than I did for the 24" which it replaced. No regrets here. To be honest, I feel the lag the most with PC games for some reason. The PS3 didn't feel laggy. That was using HDMI. I didn't try the component inputs.

Hi guys, when i plugged this in I found out that some menu items of the OSD menu are inactive on my monitor: Auto, Video Adjust, Geometry and Audio are not active in the Main Menu. I am using the monitor at default 2560*1600 resolution. Any ideas why this happens?

Hi guys, when i plugged this in I found out that some menu items of the OSD menu are inactive on my monitor: Auto, Video Adjust, Geometry and Audio are not active in the Main Menu. I am using the monitor at default 2560*1600 resolution. Any ideas why this happens?

it's because u have it connected via Dual-DVI, all the other connectors allow u to use all the OSD.

Hey everyone,

Pretty sure I read this whole thing from the beginning over the last 1+ year. I was an early adopter Sep. 2007.

Thought I'd document my issue. When I bought it through HSN, I bought their 2-year warrenty and had to use it today. I bought it 11-27-207.

So far customer service has been easy, but probably won't get a new monitor for 2 weeks... no bluray, PS3 or multitasking until then...

To explain the issue is somewhat difficult. There is a BUNCH of green vertical lines and the entire color of the picture is distorted. This is the same on HDMI, DVI and possibly everyother connection. It also does so on Gateway's screens and OSD.

Here are links to pics:

http://i40.tinypic.com/1eux3k.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/346sz76.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2w2o9s7.jpg

Hope everything goes well for me from here... paid BOOKOO bucks for it back in the day

Beleive it or not... they are sending me a check for $1700 haha :D

The process went ok and about as timely as one could have hoped for. Should get the check in the next 7-10 days.

I ordered the KDL40XBR7 Sony 40" LCD 1080p with 120hz (retail at $2100, but got it for $1550) and two of Acer's latest 23" 1080p monitors (on sale for $200 each) instead of rebuying the XHD3000 because of lagging issues when using the PS3 (since its not native resolution, no lag when doing the full 1600p with the PC)

Just got my check

They even covered Tax charges for a total of 1,814.64

Read some bad things about the HSN Warrenty, but frankly I have yet to have anyone say they've had a better experience than this

So...after 1 year and 2 weeks I have developed the green tint on my screen :mad:

Gateway won't even talk to me unless I pay $59 to call their after warranty number. i have seen the youtube video of the person who has the same problem. as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoTe32WxjC8

Tell you what, when this monitor works it ROCKS, but now it is useless to me especially in my time of financial need, i can't really go out and buy another quality monitor right now. I also had the blackouts but didn't even mind them. They only happened when connected to my mac but not when i was watching tv but this green tint thing is horrible just like gateway service. despite my hatred for gateway right now, i even considered buying another at the current sub 1k prices with and extended warranty but can't even find a reputable place right now that has it in stock and would honor such a warranty. it was a great monitor when it WORKED and yes i used many of the inputs on it. i may have to go dell unless there is a new competitor that can rival a fully functional xhd3000.

i'm also willing to pay top dollar to have this repaired for the long run if anyone knows a good repair shop please let us hardforum people know.

my first post, not a good one :(

Can someone who owns one of these tell me if the anti-glare coating looks grainy or sparkly mainly on white backgrounds compared to the Dell 3007 or Samsung 305t.

Bought mine back in January from Newegg, June 08 manufacturing date.

Worked flawlessly until a few days ago, then I started to develop green lines running through the screen horizontally.

Tried a few things to see if I could fix the issue myself, unplugging it, changing cables, inputs, etc. No luck. Tried today to talk to them about a warranty replacement/repair, and was told my warranty ran out a month ago.

Guy told me to send my proof of purchase to some gateway email address, so I did that, waiting on a response there.

Loved this monitor while it worked, and it worked flawlessly for about 6 months, but now I've developed the issue previously mentioned.

Hopefully they'll get this taken care of. I'll post more as it progresses :(

I too had a XHD3000.... LOVED IT! That is until it crashed 14 months later and Gateway provides no access to repair parts. I have put in an inquiry to Lawyer and Settlements requesting an attorney to file suit. I think it would be great if all of you have also been left without options by Gateway also did so to validate the number of these complaints and the validity of a potential "class" for a suit against Gateway. Here is the site:

https://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/submit_form.html

I live in the UK and my imported Gateway XHD3000 30" from the states has finally succumbed to the dreaded pixel corruption issues extensively reported on the Internet. I now can't see beyond a 6" inch top to bottom rainbow colored (with white background) pixel corruption on the left hand side. Previous I was able to live with two or three pixels, right hand side, that would disappear after 10 to 15 minutes of warming-up which also started in even the first 12 months of warranty. For the Farmer issue has only just started, ironically a week into upgrading an HD box.
I have contacted HSN.com but my 12 month warranty has expired and I am awaiting Gateway USA response as Gateway UK no longer exists. But due to my previous contacts with their USA customer support and technical department I am not hopeful of their cooperation in supplying a replacement TFT monitor as they seem to want to wash their hands of any responsibility for this monitors failing hardware.

Has anybody been able to source a original or alternative comparable replacement 30 inch screen from a reputable third party OEM manufacturer or supplier, preferably in the UK or European market? If not I would consider a USA or Taiwanese supplier because looking at the current crop of 30 inch monitors nothing seemed to be close to this monitor with regards to its dual PC display /HD TV credentials even two years after its release. Unless anybody knows that this is not the case with a current or up and coming alternative model I am prepared to repair this model at a reasonable cost.

Any arguments for or against repair will be gratefully considered, thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
If its a no go my friend I would simply just consider a 1080p 32" HDTV or higher. some of the newer ones have a PC mode that is great. I have a XHD3000 that is just about a year old.. working fine right now...

man...gateway seemed to wipe the earth of xhd3000's...i cant find a monitor or part anywhere...i was hoping to get a second now that it isnt 1600....nothings to be found

man...gateway seemed to wipe the earth of xhd3000's...i cant find a monitor or part anywhere...i was hoping to get a second now that it isnt 1600....nothings to be found

Yea I can't find any more either. I would love a second, but no luck thus far :(

I've had mine 2 years without issue. Love the Monitor!

I would be very upset if it screws up like the other one's here. There is no other monitor close that I have found in regards to the inputs. I have DirecTV running into mine as well as a couple PCs hooked up. It's nice to have DirecTV HD in a PIP box, KILLER!!

Hopefully mine will hold up till another "comparable" monitor comes out. I run it 2560x1600 so TV as a monitor is not an option.

Back