Gateway XHD3000 - 30" Widescreen Extreme HD Display

Cool idea turning the small monitors in landscape mode, maybe I'll try that.

Though I use SLI and that removes the multiple monitor option.

Two video cards and ultramon, yes.

And those are 20" Dell 2001FP's.

thanks much...that's why i like this site so much...great info and tips.

as you can see, i am a quick study :D

82n8pk8.jpg

happy holidays all (for our usa members)

Hi all,

Wow...now I'm totally jealous! GJ ...beautiful setups.

I also had a question about the color range, someone said in a review that this monitor has a 73 (I think) vs a 96 bit color range.

I wanted to get this for my wife's graphic design and art business, but worried about this color issue. Can someone explain what exactly they mean and would it have an effect or not really.

Oh....could this be hooked up to a Mac Mini....or other device with less than the full 2600 resolution? I am looking for a Quiet PC type solution....That is for my brother-in-law who Also wants one...LOL.

I can't imagine how this would look with HD or Blu-Ray content....I wish someone had one in the Lansing, Michigan area to look at...sigh.

Happy Thanksgiving

Well, it has 72% color gamut (not bits) compared to 3007wfp-hc's or the HP's 92%.
Honestly, for normal usage - it makes no difference. But it really depends on how important color accuracy is for your wife's graphic design and art business. If it's critical, you might as well get her an Eizo Graphic Models or even a NEC. For an Eizo professional model, you'll be paying more for it than this 30" gateway - yet only get about 24 inches.

You can hook it up to single link DVI for an effective resolution of 1920x1200. It will upscale it to 2560x1600, which doesn't look too bad for movie watching and gaming - but doesn't look too good for graphic design. But you have an option to run it at 1:1 pixel ratio, where you'll get black bars all around. If you can't support the native resolution of 2560x1600, don't get this monitor - plain and simple.

HD content looks above satisfactory on this monitor.

Thank you very much, you helped me rule out some paths I was considering.

Why in the world would they limit it to 72%....slightly blemishes an otherwise near perfect monitor.

I was re-reading this and researching all the great Black Friday deals, and perhaps someone can help point me in the right direction.

What graphic cards run at this ultra high resolution? AND run quiet...I had heard that some of the cards sounded like jet engines taking off and I wanted to either buy or build a system that was virtually silent and then use this monitor as the centerpiece.

What graphic cards run at this ultra high resolution?
Any card that has at least one dual-link DVI port. Anything less and you won't achieve the full native resolution of the display.

Alot of cards run at the native resolution.
The question is, are you going to be doing any gaming on it.
If not, any video card that supports dual-link should suffice.

Such as this.

But if you're going to game with it, you'd atleast need a 8800GTX to even try to run at native with eye candy on.

if you're planning to run this monitor at 2560x1600 in a gaming environment without 1:1 pixel mapping. You'll probably want to know...at this resolution, SLI/CF is recommended if you normally go heavy on eye candy/AA/AF.

Although I haven't researched into this monitor as much as I would love to. Not sure if it has 1:1 pixel mapping.

Darn though! If this monitor was a IPS panel..I would pick it up for sure. I'm still contemplating between a dell 3007wpf-hc, this, a nec 2490, and a refurbished a- grade FW900 with a 1 year warranty. Damnit...Making up your mind on monitors is just too damn difficult.

edit- seems it does have 1:1 pixel mapping. Obviously it should considering the size/price. I just didn't want to state it did when it didn't, so I did it just to be safe only to scroll up and see someone post about it..So ha!..I beat you to it before you could criticize me...Mwahaha! I am victorious!!11!!!!1

if you're planning to run this monitor at 2560x1600 in a gaming environment without 1:1 pixel mapping. You'll probably want to know...at this resolution, SLI/CF is recommended if you normally go heavy on eye candy/AA/AF.

Although I haven't researched into this monitor as much as I would love to. Not sure if it has 1:1 pixel mapping.

Darn though! If this monitor was a IPS panel..I would pick it up for sure. I'm still contemplating between a dell 3007wpf-hc, this, a nec 2490, and a refurbished a- grade FW900 with a 1 year warranty. Damnit...Making up your mind on monitors is just too damn difficult.

This has 1:1 pixel mapping.

The one great thing about this monitor is the upscaling capabilities.
If you can't run certain games at its native res, you can always bump it down and have the Realta chip upscale it for you. And the results are pretty good.

I play Crysis at 1680x1050 and it looks fine.

*edit* damn.. you beat me to it.. I R Loser...

*edit* damn.. you beat me to it.. I R Loser...

Mwhahahah!!11!1...hahaha. Your edit gave me a good laugh. But yea, I've given a brief look into the monitor and got a bit upset at the pressure point defect with the cross like screw. It turned me off considering how ill received the customer support was from gateway. But after I read the solution was just in a small first batch..the ill taste was lifted. The only issue I see now is the PVA panel. If this monitor had a IPS panel..IMO it would be the perfect monitor for me...=(

OHH THE SORROW! :(

Mwhahahah!!11!1...hahaha. Your edit gave me a good laugh. But yea, I've given a brief look into the monitor and got a bit upset at the pressure point defect with the cross like screw. It turned me off considering how ill received the customer support was from gateway. But after I read the solution was just in a small first batch..the ill taste was lifted. The only issue I see now is the PVA panel. If this monitor had a IPS panel..IMO it would be the perfect monitor for me...=(

You can't always have it your way, this ain't burger king you know. ;)
But yeah, although IPS would have been great - it would've added much more to the overall price. Plus, this is still a damn fine monitor as it is.

You can't always have it your way, this ain't burger king you know. ;)
But yeah, although IPS would have been great - it would've added much more to the overall price. Plus, this is still a damn fine monitor as it is.

Indeed. I wanted a IPS panel since color accuracy is important in my work. I'll probably end up getting a Nec2490WUXI...Or just nabbing a refurbed fw900 from accuraiteit till FED/OLED become the norm....bah..I keep making up my mind to one thing then changing it the next day.

Indeed. I wanted a IPS panel since color accuracy is important in my work. I'll probably end up getting a Nec2490WUXI...Or just nabbing a refurbed fw900 from accuraiteit till FED/OLED become the norm....

Well if color accuracy is uber important, just stick with the GDM-FW900 or go all out and get the Eizo Coloredge CG241W. :p

bah..I keep making up my mind to one thing then changing it the next day.

Yeah I was like that too before I purchased this monitor. And I honestly don't regret it..
It may be due to the Eizo's in the office for all the color critical work. >_>

I kept it, but am awaiting a replacement one with 3-year warranty instead of the 1-yr.
Gateway is currently on backorder of the monitor and will not be shipping out until early December.

So once I get it, I can choose the better one and the 3yr warranty will be applied.

Alot of cards run at the native resolution.
The question is, are you going to be doing any gaming on it.
If not, any video card that supports dual-link should suffice.

Such as this.

But if you're going to game with it, you'd atleast need a 8800GTX to even try to run at native with eye candy on.

Well for building a living room HTPC, this card will be perfect. Thank you....does anyone have a pro or con on getting a barebones Shuttle case and sticking this card in it? I'd like to build a small form factor HTPC and Shuttle's are at least that....although, I do remember seeing another case that was also pretty slick looking and small but I can't remember where.

I was looking at the combination blu and HD drives but they are a bit too high for now. Any seen or have the new Samsung Blu and HD drive? Pricey but pretty cool if it worked well.

I just ordered one of these bad boys from BestBuy.com and I will be giving my thoughts on it shortly.

Mwhahahah!!11!1...hahaha.... The only issue I see now is the PVA panel. If this monitor had a IPS panel..IMO it would be the perfect monitor for me...=(

Now that I see it's available via Best Buy, makes me want it even more as I have two in my town and I could take it back if I got a bad one and return it.

I'm stuck on the color issue, what I would be replacing is my wife's 2001 Apple 22" LCD display, so my biggest worry would that she would see a negative difference between her current Apple display and this Gateway with it's 72% color gamut. I'm thinking that I don't know, I was assuming that the Gateway would be fine, but I don't know what Apple produced 6 years ago and how it compares. And how would I find out what panel it used?

I had forgotten how old that Apple monitor was, I had to look it up on the web....wow..how time flies.

Thanks for any info.

I'm stuck on the color issue, what I would be replacing is my wife's 2001 Apple 22" LCD display, so my biggest worry would that she would see a negative difference between her current Apple display and this Gateway with it's 72% color gamut. I'm thinking that I don't know, I was assuming that the Gateway would be fine, but I don't know what Apple produced 6 years ago and how it compares.
Do the Apple displays have a much higher color gamut? I have an Apple monitor, and even through the contrast ratio kind of sucks, I was always impressed by the color range.

Apple displays are 72% gamut from my knowledge.

The color representation shouldn't cause too much concern when compared to the ACDs. Although upon closer inspection, there will be.

Anyways, DonutHunter - if your wife works with very color critical projects (e.g. pantone color matching), then she might notice some differences even with proper calibration.

Apple displays are 72% gamut from my knowledge.
Really? Even the 30" models? I guess I need to research more into this, but I notice that there is no banding on my ACD in certain cases where banding might appear in my other LCD displays.

Really? Even the 30" models? I guess I need to research more into this, but I notice that there is no banding on my ACD in certain cases where banding might appear in my other LCD displays.

Yes. The no visible banding might be due to a few factors

- better factory calibrated presets
- s-ips panel

Generally, when you calibrate the brightness/contrast and gamma settings - the banding will not be visible in most above decent monitors.

Even on my XHD3000 after proper calibration, have no banding issues.

What did you use to calibrate it? Something professional or something we consumers can use.

Can someone who has this monitor give us some idea how plain old text is on screen at the high resolution? How does 8, 10 point type look at say 20 inches....hard to read? Easy...I was thinking my wife would be using Leopard soon and had hoped that Leopard was using Resolution Independence, so the monitor would be fine at that super high resolution. But I found out that Leopard doesn't have it enabled yet....maybe some time next year, so now how easy it is to read the type is still important until that technology is fully implemented.

Man this monitor looks so awesome. I may try to get this for Christmas. Need to do some budgeting.:D

What did you use to calibrate it? Something professional or something we consumers can use.

I borrowed the Eye-one xt from the office. >_>
But even a consumer grade el cheapo calibrator such as Pantone's Huey Pro would help out if you're looking for some decent color accuracy.
If you're not willing to spend the cash or color accuracy is not mission critical, you can even calibrate it via eye with Eztune - although it does take some patience and a keen eye for color tints.

Can someone who has this monitor give us some idea how plain old text is on screen at the high resolution? How does 8, 10 point type look at say 20 inches....hard to read? Easy...I was thinking my wife would be using Leopard soon and had hoped that Leopard was using Resolution Independence, so the monitor would be fine at that super high resolution. But I found out that Leopard doesn't have it enabled yet....maybe some time next year, so now how easy it is to read the type is still important until that technology is fully implemented.

Text looks crisp at native resolution of 2560x1600.

I have four 30 inch monitors on my machine, two Dell 30 inch, the HP 30 inch and the Gateway 30 inch. I'm looking at a data model with hundreds of tables that I can stretch across all four monitors. I like the Gateway the best even on type but the differences aren't huge. I've had the Gateway for about a month.

I have four 30 inch monitors on my OverDrive PC, two Dell 30 inch, the HP 30 inch and the Gateway 30 inch. I'm looking at a data model with hundreds of tables that I can stretch across all four monitors. I like the Gateway the best even on type, but the differences on type aren't huge. I've had the Gateway for about a month and it is my favorite overall monitor.

I have four 30 inch monitors on my OverDrive PC, two Dell 30 inch, the HP 30 inch and the Gateway 30 inch. I'm looking at a data model with hundreds of tables that I can stretch across all four monitors. I like the Gateway the best even on type, but the differences on type aren't huge. I've had the Gateway for about a month and it is my favorite overall monitor.

That is great to hear!

This is probably one of the most informative posts in the whole thread. There is nothing like a long-term comparative experience of competitive products in a user's home/work environment. That should just about cinch it for anyone still on the fence about getting this monitor. Thanks for letting us know. :)

Baller status!! I cant imagine what kind of work you need for four 30" screen...

What kind of Work? Right now:

Specifying enterprise application integration in a SOA IDE by defining Service Components from a Management Level Power Point, cross referenced to a process Visio, cross referenced to an web-based procedure manual with several data models that are unreadable at less than the full 30 inch screen while checking my email from my client for answers to questions about the documents with Evernote to track questions/issues.

My boutique consulting firm usually works fixed price and 30 inch panels easily pay for themselves. Any corporate IT architect or design consultant would benefit from multiple screens.

I have four 30 inch monitors on my machine, two Dell 30 inch, the HP 30 inch and the Gateway 30 inch. I'm looking at a data model with hundreds of tables that I can stretch across all four monitors. I like the Gateway the best even on type but the differences aren't huge. I've had the Gateway for about a month.

I third, fourth the others, thanks so much for this review...really helpful. Now if we can only find a Coupon at BestBuys or Gateway that will make this monitor a bit more affordable.

And a second thanks to enyceexdanny for his mention of the Eizo http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/cg241w/index.asp and the LaCie http://www.lacie.com/download/datasheet/526_lcdmonitor_en.pdf

Both of these look great for high end color work, but she's an old Apple Monitor fan and says she doesn't need the 96% gamut....but they sure do look pretty! Never would have found them without your hint on the forum. She now wants to want til our money is better, but I'd love to surprise her for X-mas with the Gateway but with a 'wife' that is a dangerous proposition...lol......!

Back