Gateway's FPD2185W: a 21in widescreen 2005fpw killer!

XionStorm, thanks for the write up on the capacitor replacement and the diagram. I have two of these monitors that experienced these same symptoms. I was able to get one monitor up and running. The Electronics Supply store here in town only had enough of 5V 470uF caps for me to fix one monitor. I'll have to order the rest from your links, to get the other up and running. I was actually shocked how smooth it went, because I have never been the best with a soldering iron, but I was able to get the old capacitors removed, and the new ones installed with no issues. I did struggle with using the soler-pult to desolder, and just eneded up strickly using deslolder wick.

Also, robertiy said you had the 50V 10uF and 25V 47uF reversed on your diagram, but I found that they matched my board. Unless you updated the diagram after he pointed it out.

Now off to fix my 360's Rock Band guitar.

Thanks Again!

I have my Wii hooked up via component, PC via DVI, and 360 via VGA. I'm using an audio coupler which then connects to my line in in my sound card. It's a pain in the ass switching the cables around though for when I'm switching off between the wii and 360.

I don't think it is good practice to couple different sources together. I use this passive mixer to hook multiple sources into one input on the sound card.

Hate to dig up an old thread, but the DVI input on my 2185W crapped out a week or two ago. I've had it for two years, so it's not under warranty anymore. I guess I'm stuck using the VGA now? D:

My Moms monitor FPD2185W has the same symptoms blue led no power. I took it apart and the caps look fine but D101 and D102 are burnt. Does anyone know the value of these so I can replace them?

Picture004.jpg

I replaced the 8 caps and ine still wont come on. However it now detects signal, and it will even show my desktop for about 1 second and then goes black if i hook up vga/dvi while pc is booted. I gonna replace the other four caps this week as soon as they get here. I dont feel lke its gonna fix it tho,, the remaining caps look fine. well see..:rolleyes:
I Got the fhd2400 now but compaired, Im not happy.. The view angle bites..

Mine is starting to flicker that i bought in august 2006, i bought the best buy warranty so hopefully they just give me a refund after reading this thread.

For those that have replaced the usual 8 caps with still no success, I wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Upon opening my FPD2185W, I noticed that 3 other capacitors were bulging (highlighted in red). As I had purchased 25 470 uF 35v 105 degrees NRSZ caps and I had everything out and open, I decided to replace these 3 caps as well. Everything is back together and running.

If you have any doubts about your ability to successfully remove and replace all these capacitors, just ask yourself- can you really make the monitor any less functional? Other than copper pipes, I had never soldered before in my life. I spent a total of $40 (solder, iron, desoldering iron, caps) and felt it was a worthy gamble on an lcd I believe I originally spent close to $500 on.

I took Joe up on his offer for replacement capacitors to repair 2 of my FPD2185W monitors. After installing the new capacitors following the instructions elsewhere in this post, both monitors are working perfectly. If you need replacement capacitors for your monitor, I suggest contacting Joe [[email protected]] to get the parts you need.

Silly question, but is there a fix for a failed DVI connection? I can use the VGA port just fine, but it's kind of a bummer that the DVI no longer works on this thing, which I paid like $500 for a few years back.

Mine has the same symptoms. Will probably order the parts in the next few days. I thought i was the only person until i read this thread again after soo long.

Thread Necromancer Strikes Again!

My Gateway died late in 09 after having the same symptoms as everyone else, having to shut it down in order to display an image blah blah blah till it died. It is now up and running again thanks to this thread. :)

Many thanks to XionStorm for his detailed diagram, instructions and links they all worked like a charm.

In case someone else comes across this thread in the future and needs this help as well, I suggest ordering 3 additional capacitors not mentioned by XionStorm that are:

http://www.newark.com/rubycon/16zlh470m8x11-5/cap-alum-elect-470uf-16v-radial/dp/38M1508?Ntt=38M1508

These 3 are clearly highlighted in DorkOffs image in his post 5 above this one.

I found these three had failed (bulged tops) as well, and @ .18 cents each why not?

One additional note: When I initially reassembled the monitor it had a green hazy static and an overall green tint to the screen but all the connectors were solidly in place. My cause was the main cable (made up of like 40 thin cables) between the LCD and daughter board had two pins wiggle loose where it seats into the back of the LCD panel, I reseated them as best I could and I was good to go with a clear image again.

My mantra during this whole debacle while learning to de-solder and then solder all these crappy capacitors?

If you have any doubts about your ability to successfully remove and replace all these capacitors, just ask yourself- can you really make the monitor any less functional? Other than copper pipes, I had never soldered before in my life. I spent a total of $40 (solder, iron, desoldering iron, caps) and felt it was a worthy gamble on an lcd I believe I originally spent close to $500 on.

My only regret is I had told friends if this did not work I was taking this out to the range in a tribute to Kyles hard drive experiment and putting a wide range of different caliber holes in this thing .40, .38, .44 and a 12 gauge finale and then posting a video. :D

If you have not heard of the [H] way to delete 18 or so drives:

http://www.spike.com/video/50-bmg-bullet-vs-18/3232720

If any need a hand with your FPD2185W of ~DOOM~ feel free to post or throw a PM

Last edited:
God you Gateway users should get together and sue that company for how badly they are screwing you.

I will settle for talking anyone I ever run onto away from any gateway products. Being an IT guy I am pretty sure I (and others burned by this joke of a monitor) can get the word out sufficiently to do enough damage to sooth my conscious. The upside here is I have my much relied upon second LCD back and now can look at upgrading my GPU (5850 or so) instead of trying to get a deal on a Monitor. :D

Mine I think died last night. Went to bed last night and woke up to the screen black with the blue LED button flashing every second. I could see a faint white light flashing on the screen itself when the button would flash. I unplug it and it would do the same thing, connected to the computer and not connected. After about 5 minutes the blue power button will stay on with no picture or anything. You press the button and nothing, and then again when you unplug it will start all over.

I think it's gone, lasted me 4 years and a couple months I think, surprisingly. :(

I just replaced the 8 capacitors plus the 3 on the other board and now the pic comes on but stays on for about 30 seconds and then the screen goes black. any suggestions? i'm going to recheck all my soldering today. but any help would be greatly appreciated!

My FPD2185W is still running strong. I used to have a power problem that would require me to un/replug the power cord, but this has not cropped up recently.

I recently acquired an AMD 6950 and am having trouble getting more than 640x480 over DVI (using a DVI-D Single link cable) in Windows 7. VGA gives me 1680x1050, but the picture is not as sharp as I would like (or it could be the new card/drivers, not sure). My old card (Nvidia 8800GT) worked 100% over DVI under Win7 but required a custom EDID.bin file to give proper resolution in Linux with the Nvidia drivers.

I am not sure if this is a corrupt EDID or what: my old card was plug-n-play on Windows 7 but not on Linux. Win7 even recognized the display with the proper model number and all.

Anyone have ideas as to whether this is truly a corrupt EDID or something that could be remedied by a new cable. If EDID, are there any options besides Powertune?

Does anybody still have this monitor? or the guys that have repaired them, how are they working?

My friends Gateway's FPD2185W failed back a few months ago and we are planning to take it appart and check the capacitors

Hello. That is my first post. I would like to thank you guys for providing a very important infos. I have had corrupted data in DVI eeprom and some cards worked good (especially old like nVidia 7900, 8800) and some not (Radeon 5770). I have fixed it using informations from this thread.

I'm using this LCD since 2007 so that will be four years and hadn't any problems to send under 3 years warranty. No bad pixels, ghosts and lines. Everything is perfect and I don't want any other LCD :)

Keeping this tread necro going becasue of the useful info in these last couple of pages

This is my first post but I wasnted to contribute.

My monitor had this problem too:
For a few days, It wouldnt wake up from sleep, and I had to pull the power and plug it back in.
then even that stopped, the blue light would come on, and then dim some, but the gateway logo and everything never came on.

I found this page showing the capacitors, and what to replace.

All over the internet are sites that sell kits for this, including the 8 capacitors on that board, and a handful of other caps. A google search on fpd2185 repai will brign them up.

just wanted to post here, I had bought this monitor as a loor model from circuit city back in 2007, and it worked for me all the way up until last week, and my brother bought the same one when it came out in 2006, and his is still running no problem. It jsut seems very strange the difference in quality between the same monitor.

Thank's everyone on this thread for investigating this in the first place instead of throwing yours out!

woooo yeah! I still have this monitor and I still love it. I too had the problem with the capacitors. I was able to fix it. Frigging awesome. I suck at soldering but I still manage to fix junk with my lame little 15 dollar iron.

I think I got this monitor back in late 2005? I can say it was worth it.

I'm having one heck of an annoying problem with a new system build, and I was wondering if the monitor could be the cause.

I had a Core2 Duo system with a cheap NVideo 8400GS graphics card, which worked fine on this monitor through the DVI connection. I upgraded my system to a Core i5-3570k with built-in graphics, and I had no display through the DVI output, or through the HDMI output with an adapter. VGA worked. I assumed that it was a bad motherboard, so I RMA'd it. The replacement does exactly the same thing! It's not a driver problem because it works the same in the BIOS, Windows, and Linux. I checked the monitor with another system and the DVI port still works. I also tried the computer's HDMI output with my TV, and I got no signal, but I don't know if it was putting out a compatible video mode (although I had assumed that the BIOS would fall back to VGA mode or something.) So I was thinking it was still some sort of motherboard problem, even though nobody else seemed to be having it, but then I saw a few old posts here about the DVI port being flaky on this monitor. Is it possible that mine could be working with some video cards and not others? If so, is there any way to fix it?

I'm having one heck of an annoying problem with a new system build, and I was wondering if the monitor could be the cause.

I had a Core2 Duo system with a cheap NVideo 8400GS graphics card, which worked fine on this monitor through the DVI connection. I upgraded my system to a Core i5-3570k with built-in graphics, and I had no display through the DVI output, or through the HDMI output with an adapter. VGA worked. I assumed that it was a bad motherboard, so I RMA'd it. The replacement does exactly the same thing! It's not a driver problem because it works the same in the BIOS, Windows, and Linux. I checked the monitor with another system and the DVI port still works. I also tried the computer's HDMI output with my TV, and I got no signal, but I don't know if it was putting out a compatible video mode (although I had assumed that the BIOS would fall back to VGA mode or something.) So I was thinking it was still some sort of motherboard problem, even though nobody else seemed to be having it, but then I saw a few old posts here about the DVI port being flaky on this monitor. Is it possible that mine could be working with some video cards and not others? If so, is there any way to fix it?

I would highly doubt it's some sort of DVI compatibility issue in the monitor itself, but more likely a configuration issue with the board, or another defective board. This monitor was one of the first with HDCP support, making it ahead of it's time, and I actually still use one at my work and I haven't run into any issues like this with current chipsets.

Normally, by default, the board should have onboard video enabled, but some boards have you select which digital output to use (dvi or hdmi, display port, etc), so you might just be unlucky with your settings. I'd dig back into your bios.

Back