GB K8NS, on its way out?

black_b[ ]x

[H]ard|Gawd
I tried adding some memory and got some weird problems. Mobo has 3 slots, previously had 2 single-sided sticks of 256MB (Corsair ValueSelect DDR400). I upgraded the BIOS to the latest F18. I got a new stick of 512MB Corsair ValueSelect DDR400, it is dual-sided. I can't get them to work together, and the problems aren't always the same.

At first it hung just before the memory test in bootup, then I got long single beeps (bad mem?). I tried setting command rate to 2T, then 2T with manual timing to 3-3-3-3-8, reducing speed to 166MHz, at one point I had the single 512 booting to windows, closest I got was the 512 and one 256 getting past POST beep, but after it determined the amount of memory for the bootup it froze. After that I couldnt get the 2 original sticks to work right, or even one stick for a while (tried both). After various resets and CMOS clears, its back up and running on the original 2 sticks. The PC also has lockup problems in an RC sim called RealFlight. It was running fine for 5 min, then in a menu screen the mouse slowed down and the whole system locked. It does this in Civ 4 as well, but I think BF2 works.

Should I just send this thing back? try memory again with higher timings? I'll try the new stick in my PC i guess (hopefully it plays nice with ballistix)

Back