Geforce 770 & 780 coming in May

I see the 23rd mentioned in this thread but has anyone confirmed that is the date of release? That is the last day for my step-up on my 680's and I wouldn't mind a bump to the 780's.

I see the 23rd mentioned in this thread but has anyone confirmed that is the date of release? That is the last day for my step-up on my 680's and I wouldn't mind a bump to the 780's.

They most likely won't be available for order when they are announced.

Thanks for the info, Kyle. Another question - any idea if the custom cards will allow custom PCBs as well? BIG fan of the MSI lightning line here, as i'm sure others are.

Totally, but I honestly pray to god they dont use some stupid total power draw of 106% on the 780 GTX like they did on Titan, that was one of the things (on top of the price) and I did not like.

Totally, but I honestly pray to god they dont use some stupid total power draw of 106% on the 780 GTX like they did on Titan, that was one of the things (on top of the price) and I did not like.

Well, obviously a custom PCB would solve that problem. The MSI lightning GTX 680 for instance could go up to 300% on power draw (on the OG LN2 BIOS), and could handle that fine due to the additional power phases and super beefy VRM.

I'm just not sure if nvidia will allow this sort of thing on the 700 series - I really hope they do.

Expect something like 25% faster than a GTX 680.
The unknown at this time is price ($599 - $699?) and availability.

that would put it too close to the titan.

expect 10% 15% tops.

im sure it will be $499 like the 580gtx and the 680gtx were.

that would put it too close to the titan.

expect 10% 15% tops.

im sure it will be $499 like the 580gtx and the 680gtx were.
no way its just 10-15% faster. mark my words it will be over 20% faster as that's easy to see based on the specs.

This sounds like a no-brainer for most people considering a Titan. Most of the performance for 1/2 - 2/3 the price.

I would be suprised if it came out at only 500$

although I hope it does cause I will buy one day one if it is man

Well, obviously a custom PCB would solve that problem. The MSI lightning GTX 680 for instance could go up to 300% on power draw (on the OG LN2 BIOS), and could handle that fine due to the additional power phases and super beefy VRM.

I'm just not sure if nvidia will allow this sort of thing on the 700 series - I really hope they do.

If there's no voltage control, custom PCBs, and especially coolers (considering the Titan one is pretty good) are almost pointless. Certain custom cards like the Lightning may end up being binned, and capable of overclocking ~50-100mhz better than reference cards, but that's about it. It will still be a silicon lottery.

To me, the only three cards that stood out among the GTX 680s were the Lightning, Classified, and Galaxy HOF. Why? Because they all had some form of voltage control that allowed them to clock beyond 1350mhz easily.

If there's no voltage control, custom PCBs, and especially coolers (considering the Titan one is pretty good) are almost pointless. Certain custom cards like the Lightning may end up being binned, and capable of overclocking ~50-100mhz better than reference cards, but that's about it. It will still be a silicon lottery.

To me, the only three cards that stood out among the GTX 680s were the Lightning, Classified, and Galaxy HOF. Why? Because they all had some form of voltage control that allowed them to clock beyond 1350mhz easily.

I know. The rumor is that the voltage of the GTX 700 is more flexible, which gives me hope for such custom PCBs with voltage control - some rumors indicate the 770, for example, being able to get 1.3V out of the box.

I should add. Partners are being allowed to customize the GTX 780 from the get-go. I really think custom PCBs will be allowed - consider the EVGA teaser trailer which was released yesterday. It certainly indicates the possibility.

Nope... the chart is from an article from April 27th and is "calculated" from the older rumored specs like a 320-bit bus width. Note it doesn't even refer to it as a 780.

REAL info ;) :
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/31430-nvidia-gtx-770-detailed-as-well
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/31429-nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-detailed

http://videocardz.com/41631/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-final-specifications

Looking like there's one small surprise left, I'm hearing... which as someone else speculated, is likely either a performance boosting driver day-and-date with the cards, or some kind of lower amount of voltage control.

My guess
$499 for the gtx 770
$649 for the gtx 580

Last edited:
http://videocardz.com/41631/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-final-specifications
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Performance
The site also shares some insight on the performance. The GeForce GTX 780 will be 25 to 50% faster than Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition. That’s according to the official slides, which usually include only selected titles. According to an Nvidia-made performance slide that we had a chance to see, which pits the new card to AMD’s Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition, the GTX 780 should end up anywhere between 25 and 50 percent faster than the HD 7970 GHz Edition

Is that true ? I mean the 7970Ghz is pretty much the same performance, if not a hair faster then the GTX-680. The comment above would make the GTX-780 approx 30%-55% faster than the 680 ? I thought everyone is saying it's only 20% faster than the 680 at best.

Is that true ? I mean the 7970Ghz is pretty much the same performance, if not a hair faster then the GTX-680. The comment above would make the GTX-780 approx 30%-55% faster than the 680 ? I thought everyone is saying it's only 20% faster than the 680 at best.

As I linked above and commented...

GoldenTiger said:
Looking like there's one small surprise left, I'm hearing... which as someone else speculated, is likely either a performance boosting driver day-and-date with the cards, or some kind of lower amount of voltage control.

We'll see in under 6 days now :).

My guess
$499 for the gtx 770
$649 for the gtx 580

Doubtful. The 770 has been rumored at $399 since the beginning, and virtually all current ones say $500-600 for the 780.

gtx780specsprice.png

Doubtful. The 770 has been rumored at $399 since the beginning, and virtually all current ones say $500-600 for the 780.

$500 for a 780 would be amazing, a little too amazing.
I say the low end is more like $650, probably stretching to $750.

We'll see who's right in a few days I guess!

I'm hoping they come in at those price points, I'll def be in for 2x 780s if so.
It doesn't make sense (not to me anyways) to have a 770 at $400, then the 780 at $650+. That's a huge price difference for the next step up. But Nvidia could probably pull it off without any competition from AMD.

Oh I expect AMD to respond to this release. NV is basically cutting $100 off their entire enthusiast line. AMD has to respond.

Why is it hard to believe that the new flagship card will cost the same that the old flagship card did? If technology prices climbed with the newly gained performance each generation we would be mortgaging our houses to pay for core i5s

I'm hoping they come in at those price points, I'll def be in for 2x 780s if so.
It doesn't make sense (not to me anyways) to have a 770 at $400, then the 780 at $650+. That's a huge price difference for the next step up. But Nvidia could probably pull it off without any competition from AMD.

I agree on both counts... but I think the price gap would be too big perception-wise, so I'll be keeping a candle for $500-550. :)

Probably more to do with the titan being released at $999.99. However, I do expect the 780 to launch at $499.

$649 for a GTX 580 seems pretty high :D

The suspense is killing me! Release the cards already!

The suggested prices of the gtx 480 / 580 / 680 weren't they all in the 649.99 ballpark? and they are just slowly discounted through its life cycle?.

The suggested prices of the gtx 480 / 580 / 680 weren't they all in the 649.99 ballpark? and they are just slowly discounted through its life cycle?.

All 3 launched at $499 MSRP in North American markets.

The 470 and 570 launched at $349 and the 670 was $399.

The 460 1gb was $229 and 465 was $279. 560 was $199 and 560ti was $249. 660 was $229 and 660ti was $299.

Last edited:

I think the 580 was around $500

*edit: ninja'd! Was busy finding the info on this ipad

I'm thinking $550 and newegg markups pushing them up to $580-$600. Then if you want 6GB of memory (3 is pushing it for surround right now and could quickly get outdated), add on another $100.

Don't really feel bad copping three Titans at $900, $900, $800 this week regardless of what happens with the 780. Probably have to wait a month for 6gb 780s and only would have saved $100-$200 per card, which isn't even worth the 10% or whatever boost the Titan has over the 780.

. Then if you want 6GB of memory (3 is pushing it for surround right now and could quickly get outdated).

I have 1 670 2gb pushing 5760 x 1080 with no issues on high , custom/ultra.

But I guess if you mean for constant 100+fps and 1200p and higher then yea.

I have 1 670 2gb pushing 5760 x 1080 with no issues on high , custom/ultra.

But I guess if you mean for constant 100+fps and 1200p and higher then yea.

Crysis 2 with all of the textures and graphical patches uses almost 4GB for me without AA.

Not everyone running surround uses tiny monitors like yours, brah.

Why is it hard to believe that the new flagship card will cost the same that the old flagship card did? If technology prices climbed with the newly gained performance each generation we would be mortgaging our houses to pay for core i5s

Because the 780 isn't a flagship card like the 580 and 680 were. Now, something exists called the Titan - and a $500 780 means slightly worse than Titan performance for half the price. nVidia's lineup has changed since the release of the 580 and 680, so you can't really compare the launches.

Because the 780 isn't a flagship card like the 580 and 680 were. Now, something exists called the Titan - and a $500 780 means slightly worse than Titan performance for half the price. nVidia's lineup has changed since the release of the 580 and 680, so you can't really compare the launches.

The Titan is not a flagship card

What's even more amazing is that your getting a GK110 with Compute, instead of a respun GK104 with gimped Compute for roughly the same price.
The 780 is a steal in my book. Titan looks, almost Titan performance and Compute, for nearly half the cost.

For anyone to think it's too much, has been buying from AMD too long.

Back