Geforce 9800 GX2 coming Feb 19 (expreview.com)

Metalarm

Limp Gawd
I'm surprised I haven't seen any threads on this, but here it is!

http://en.expreview.com/?p=133

After some infos of D9P, we also notice the release date of GeForce 9800 GX2 aka D9E. The date is Feburary 19th,2008, not the rumored Mrach.

We can not learn much of the card, Only knows it will be a dual GPU card and communicate with built-in SLI. It also have a SLI connector so it will become the another card supporting Quad SLI like its predecessor 7950 GX2. The power module of the card is somehow different, it have one 6pin and one 8pin power connector.

What was so bad about the 7950 GX2's when they came out? After Drivers got good, they could out bench almost anything really.

Odd naming, though expreview.com may be wrong about it. Or NVIDIA could be getting even stranger with their naming (what's in the water there is what I want to know). Two G92 cores should be 8800 GX2, but if it's the new chip (as 9600 GT sounds like it will be) it would be very odd starting with a dual-PCB unit. I'd think the dual-G92's are much more likely.

What's wrong with the 7950GX2 is that on my Asus P5K XP system the drivers flake out with a screen scramble at the end of every driver install and on my Asrock DUAL-SATA2 Vista install the screen goes blank for a few seconds every time I right click the desktop. EVGA sent me the 7950GX2 as a replacemnt for 7900GT and I don't care if it is faster, the card has flaky behavoir on both my mb's (neither is on Nvidia's compatibility list for this vieo card) and I'm not happy with the exchange. Now setting up my third RMA. :mad:

Meanwhile, I bought one of those Galaxy 8800GT with the Zalman like HSF and it is rock solid.

Looks like it only has 1 SLI bridge, but probably in the future.

Read more carefully: The picture was of a 7950 GX2. Note it doesn't have the 8+6 pin power connectors either. They don't have any pictures of the new card, just info. They really shouldn't have put up the picture when it would be so misleading.

Read more carefully: The picture was of a 7950 GX2. Note it doesn't have the 8+6 pin power connectors either. They don't have any pictures of the new card, just info. They really shouldn't have put up the picture when it would be so misleading.
people posted previously < ownt.

Bwahaha! :D That just made me laugh for some reason.

But yeah, the whole dual PCB is GHEY. Is jacks up everything - especially COOLING. Usually there's two ghey ass loud little fans. It's a bastard card if you will.

Looks like I'll be waiting even LONGER now. Cause the real deal will soon follow this POS. We've seen it before.

Weird, I thought the GX2 was going to come out first as an 8 series card and the D9E was a single GPU card to be released shortly thereafter.

expreview is a seriously questionable website. these were the same guys responsible for the early 38 series crossfire benchmarks that got all of the ati fanboys sucking their panties up into their assholes.

Cool! I have the silverstone ST85ZF power supply the problem is I have 4 x 6pin cable can I get a 6 Pin PCI-E to 8 Pin PCI-Adapter Cable

Feb is about 3 months after what we were told back in June during Nvidia's shareholder's meeting. Seeing as how dual slot cooling is more and more an accepted norm, going dual pcb's with the 8800gt core seemed like logical step to me. I'm not sure if this is going to be nvidia's D9E when everything pans out, a chip refresh and a die shrink doesn't qualify as new a gpu imo. This dual card seems better named as a 8900GX2, rather than 9800GX2.

Though I have to say that a potential 2x performance over an 8800GT in a single graphics adapter does sound very good, especially with a regular dual SLI setup, almost like having the power of 4 8800GTX's

lol, that's funny but they're still right. It will be another 2 PCB featured card. Lets say I know someone who knows someone :) However, he's a dick most times---and an asshole the others :)

And at the small chance my buddy is wrong :p, I really don't see how this is such a bad idea. Seriously, it gives those with intel or non sli boards some SLI goodness. It also give the SLI owners something crazy like quad gaming without using every single slot on your board. Now what the hell is wrong with that?

If you look at quad GPU crossfire, you'll see how there's absolutely no room to add anything to your box without sacrificing graphics. This is easily a win win.

Some people will complian about anything, I had the 7950GX2 and it stomped all over everything at the time, dual PCB is hardly an issue, current cards are already pushing the limits length wise, some people simply cannot fit in the 8800GTX/Ultra cards due to length.

i dont think dual PCB was the issue. It was the crappy drivers for a long time.

What's wrong with the 7950GX2 is that on my Asus P5K XP system the drivers flake out with a screen scramble at the end of every driver install and on my Asrock DUAL-SATA2 Vista install the screen goes blank for a few seconds every time I right click the desktop. EVGA sent me the 7950GX2 as a replacemnt for 7900GT and I don't care if it is faster, the card has flaky behavoir on both my mb's (neither is on Nvidia's compatibility list for this vieo card) and I'm not happy with the exchange. Now setting up my third RMA. :mad:

Meanwhile, I bought one of those Galaxy 8800GT with the Zalman like HSF and it is rock solid.

So, you own two MB's that are not on the compatibility list for the 7950GX2 and that is somehow a fault of the card?

I would have called EVGA the second I knew neither MB was compatible with the 7950GX2 and exchange it for a different card.

An RMA will not fix anything if they send another 7950GX2.

i dont think dual PCB was the issue. It was the crappy drivers for a long time.

I agree. The drivers absolutely blow in regard to the 7950GX2 and they always have since about the time Vista came out and they first tried to bring Quad-SLI to market.

This is what I am interested in hearing... I am sick of hearing about the 8000 series. I was wondering where the rumors and info on the next 9000 series is lurking...

My 7950GX2 didn't really have the staying power I had hoped for, kind of upsetting that I ended up replacing a $560 card with a $300 card only a year and a half later. I guess that's what comes with running games at 1920x1200 though.

My 7950GX2 didn't really have the staying power I had hoped for, kind of upsetting that I ended up replacing a $560 card with a $300 card only a year and a half later. I guess that's what comes with running games at 1920x1200 though.

As Kyle once said, NVIDIA really needs to hand out some kind of free 8800 sereies card to anyone who bought the 7950GX2. They basically got ass raped on performance and drivers.

I'm glad I skipped it. I had the 7900GTX SLI setup and went for X1950XTX's and as a result I had great performance all the time. I didn't have to put up with bullshit drivers and crippled Vista performance.

I am seriously angry now. I don't like sli/crossfire I don't want it and I don't want to have to deal with it. I hate the possibility of not being able to use the power of my graphics cards because the game doesn't support it or the drivers are garbage. All I have to say is way to fail both amd and nvidia.

I am seriously angry now. I don't like sli/crossfire I don't want it and I don't want to have to deal with it. I hate the possibility of not being able to use the power of my graphics cards because the game doesn't support it or the drivers are garbage. All I have to say is way to fail both amd and nvidia.

Well we don't know what is really being released Febuary or later. There are too many conflicting reports. First off D9E is supposed to be a new GPU. So the whole GX2 approach seems unlikely and other information suggests that they won't be releasing anything new until March or April. Not Febuary as reported by the site linked above.

I say wait and see what happens. There is no need to get bent out of shape just yet.

So, you own two MB's that are not on the compatibility list for the 7950GX2 and that is somehow a fault of the card?

I would have called EVGA the second I knew neither MB was compatible with the 7950GX2 and exchange it for a different card.

An RMA will not fix anything if they send another 7950GX2.

Did I say that? It's the fault of EVGA for not making sure it is compatible with my mb's or asking me if that is the card I would like in exchange for 7900GT. Did I say I started an RMA so they can send me another 7950GX2? No, I did not say that. The person handling my RMA has to talk to his manger to see what other card they can offer me. Brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

dont get so worked up people....this cannot be 9series material, it would be dissappointing if the next "high-end" single slot /single GPU beast is such a long time away.....it could essentially be 2 different dual PCB models 1 model with an dual g92(112sp) and another model with dual g92(128sp).....the dual PCB's are the 1TF monsters people rumored of earier this year...also the colling on the 79gx2's does not look adequte for use with g92, so it will be interesting to see how these are cooled and how hot they run idle/load....will be interesting....

IMHO...they will dump an 8800gx2/8850gx2 in our laps,it will still pound a R670x2,an CONTINUE to drain the g92's for all they are worth,they probably have tons literaly of 65nm tech that needs to be used for somthin before switching to 45nm or whatever for g100.....although it may seem as if g100 is being delayed,its really just an ace up their sleeve after the 8series is depleted to nearly 0....

since AMD/ATI are lacking too, they need to but cannot launch somethin or anything that can force the hand of NV to unleash G100 sooner......

also EXPR rumored 9600gt(g98) on paper is basicelly the little brother of the 8800gt ,officially EOL any 8500gt - 8600gts replacing the g84/86 cores respectively thus IMHO should be named 8700GT or 8800GS....g92 did not warrant a 9800gt , why should g98 warrant a change to 9600gt???? g100 cores should warrant a change of naming a new series of 9XXXxxx

Intel has already decided to delay CPUs because there is no competition.

WRONG.

They are delaying only QC Penryns due to other reasons. The Wolfdale Penryns are still on track, thank goodness.

WRONG.

They are delaying only QC Penryns due to other reasons. The Wolfdale Penryns are still on track, thank goodness.

I keep hearing this and I can't help but hear "BULLSHIT" in my mind. Why would they delay the lower end quad cores due to problems if the high end QX9650 is working just fine? I swear people just can't apply common sense and logic to any news they hear in order to decide if it is fact or fiction. Obviously tech news is hit or miss. What has been reported by several sites and what is really going on appear to be vastly different things.

Back