Geforce AGP problem

DuffMan72

Limp Gawd
I just bought a Geforce 6200 AGP video card for my crappy P3 system, and I'm already having problems with it. I'm only able to use a max resolution of 800x600, 4-bit color, even after the drivers are installed. I checked my device drivers, and it said

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

I disabled some of my devices, such as my sound card and PCI usb port, and I still have the same problem... what the hell do i do?

I have 256 megs of ram, I'll add another 384 soon to see what happens.

My specs are:
PIII Coppermine 933mhz
256 megs of ram (soon to be 384)
300watt power supply that hasn't failed on me in 5 years.

Update:

Still doesn't work on my PIII. But for some sick, sad reason, it works on my PII. I'm guessing it's something to do with my motherboard.

If you have onboard video did you remeber to disable it...

As stated above definetly seems like an IRQ issue.

For some reason, I can't see what resources the video card is using in the device manager menu, although I can see what everything else is using. I've seen that error code list on Windows XP, and it hasn't really helped. How can I assign the IRQ to a video card without it being interfering with something else? (I already enabled "assign IRQ to VGA" in the BIOS settings).

DuffMan72 said:
I have 256 megs of ram, I'll add another 384 soon to see what happens.

My specs are:
PIII Coppermine 933mhz
256 megs of ram (soon to be 384)
300watt power supply that hasn't failed on me in 5 years.

what model mobo do you have

Thanks for the advice, but video cards keyed like the 5900xt are meant to run on both the older and newer standard of AGP. My 6200, for example, functions on my extremely old PII computer, which disregards that guy's theory. I think I'm gonna try a new PSU, see how that works out.

DuffMan72 said:
Thanks for the advice, but video cards keyed like the 5900xt are meant to run on both the older and newer standard of AGP. My 6200, for example, functions on my extremely old PII computer, which disregards that guy's theory. I think I'm gonna try a new PSU, see how that works out.

well i dont know what chipset is on your PII system... i linked a page that talkes about agp slots and a thread from here that looks at a similar issue
http://www.abcd.com.au/v/agp_slot.htm
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=966288

Back