Geforce GT220 for PhysX

usually that will be the 9600GT with 64. I couldn't find a GSO available right now with more than 48.
yeah exactly. another great move by nvidia to cut down the SAME model number by 1/2. But that's another story.

It sounds like unknown-one already has two 96sp GSOs available.

However, if you're buying something new, it probably is better to go with 9600gt since most new GSOs have 48

yeah exactly. another great move by nvidia to cut down the SAME model number by 1/2. But that's another story.

It sounds like unknown-one already has two 96sp GSOs available.

However, if you're buying something new, it probably is better to go with 9600gt since most new GSOs have 48

Yeah. If I remember right, they started the GSO out as a budget step above the 9600GT with some extra processing power and extra RAM, but then they started making the gimped ones with the extra RAM, no doubt to play of the fancy GSO name. Doesn't GSO sound cooler?? Anyways, the "gimped" GSO's aren't worthy dedicated physx GPU's by any means. Probably comparable to a GT 220.

Also, next good sale on Batman, I'll bite the bullet and get it for some physx testing. That game is supposed to run good on the 295 as well, so it should be a good, fair physx test. As far as I'm concerned, the dedicated physx card is worth it in Mirror's Edge, yielding a 10% (or more) boost versus having the GPU. With half my 295 running the graphics, going from 52 fps or so to 58 fps is just enough to make it feel a little smoother. From what I've heard, the difference will even be greater in Batman.

You wouldnt happen to have Cryostasis would you? To me, thats the most impressive Physx game to date...the first Ive seen that actually uses water particles.

SirKronan - These tests are hugely informative, thank you for taking your time to do them. Its a shame that actual hardware sites haven't taken the time to do similar tests themselves.

I can't wait to see your results from Batman. Bad timing on trying to get that game btw, there was a HUGE sale for it on Steam last weekend. ;)

Also, you should own Batman: AA anyway. IMHO the second best game from last year, only beaten by the outstanding Uncharted 2 for the PS3.

SirKronan - These tests are hugely informative, thank you for taking your time to do them. Its a shame that actual hardware sites haven't taken the time to do similar tests themselves.

I can't wait to see your results from Batman. Bad timing on trying to get that game btw, there was a HUGE sale for it on Steam last weekend. ;)

I know, and with Just Cause, too. Arg. I meant to pick it up then, but we had family over and I still had to work you know. I wasn't on my main rig for several days, because my "office" is also the guest bedroom, and that's where the family stayed. It'll happen again. Cryostasis has also been on sale several times.

There is a chance I might be able to get an 8800 or possibly a 9800 for some testing as well in the PhysX department, but I will wait until I get a better library to test before I "borrow" those cards.

By the way, is UT3 a good tester for this? I know it supports nVidia hardware physx.

Edit: Just noticed this - could it be legit??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...0332429&itemid=160414766715&ff4=263772_263802

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Could be legit, that seller has nearly 7000 positive ratings, 10 neutral ratings, and one negative rating. Looks like a safe ratio to me.

Yo...what 9800 card could you use? Im really looking at getting a 9800GT as I need a single slot solution for Physx...let me know!

Yo...what 9800 card could you use? Im really looking at getting a 9800GT as I need a single slot solution for Physx...let me know!

Oh, it might be a while, but it will be either an 8800GT or the 9800GT. I'll post tables or graphs of all the findings in an organized fashion after I get more results with more games, but it won't happen overnight. Life happens, you know! I sure wish I had more free time.

Edit: What about Dark Void?

Last edited:
Im sure Dark Void would be a good test...dont really know what Physx effects it uses though...plus, if you are buying its a pretty bad game from what Ive heard...but what do game reviewers know?

A single GTX 275 handles this game cranked with hardware physx enabled just fine. I didn't even have to overclock it.

The GT220 is definitely not a good recommended physx card, the 9600GSO with the 96sp is probably the minimum OK physx card, a lot of people are using 9800GTs and 9800GTXs.

I still haven't figured out why PhysX is broken if I enable SLI and use both "halves" of my 295 to play Mirror's Edge. Until I get more games to test I won't know if it's limited to Mirror's Edge or not. I don't have issues in ANY of my other games, but few, if any of them have hardware enabled physx.

Edit: to clarify, if I enable SLI and use the "whole" 295 to play Mirror's Edge without enabling physx, gameplay is smooth and fast and all good. Frame rates are great. But the minute I enable PhysX, whether the 295 or the dedicated card are doing the physx rendering, I get those weird 3 fps sections when there's heavy physx. With SLI disabled (half the 295) the game runs fine with or without physx enabled, with or without the dedicated card being enabled too. It doesn't make any sense. I've tried two or three driver revisions, multiple restarts, and two different dedicated physx cards now.

I think its Mirrors Edge to be honest...my laptop has a 9800m GTS 512MB (which granted is only 64sp) but when Physx kicks in itll go fast and run fine then next thing I know its slows to like 3 fps! LOL! So Im pretty sure that, even though I love Mirrors Edge, but the Physx is broken...it should be pretty quick!

I had a Ageia PPU and it ran Mirrors Edge perfectly...well, not perfectly, definitely bottlenecked my 4890's, but it was still playable, no 3fps and that stuff...

I think its Mirrors Edge to be honest...my laptop has a 9800m GTS 512MB (which granted is only 64sp) but when Physx kicks in itll go fast and run fine then next thing I know its slows to like 3 fps! LOL! So Im pretty sure that, even though I love Mirrors Edge, but the Physx is broken...it should be pretty quick!

I had a Ageia PPU and it ran Mirrors Edge perfectly...well, not perfectly, definitely bottlenecked my 4890's, but it was still playable, no 3fps and that stuff...

Well it never drops down like that with just half the 295. Minimum FPS was like 52, even with AA enabled at 1920x1200, everything on highest. I'm going to test some other non physx games just to make sure I don't have any SLI issues. Even though the 295 is only a single card, it's still "SLI in a card."

SirKronan: I may have found a fix for Mirrors Edge

Navigate to "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Mirror's Edge\Binaries\"
(may be slightly different depending upon where you installed the game)

Delete PhysXCore.dll
Delete PhysXDevice.dll

This will force the game to use the latest PhysX system software installed on your PC rather than the old version it comes with. See what happens :D

SirKronan: I may have found a fix for Mirrors Edge

Navigate to "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Mirror's Edge\Binaries\"
(may be slightly different depending upon where you installed the game)

Delete PhysXCore.dll
Delete PhysXDevice.dll

This will force the game to use the latest PhysX system software installed on your PC rather than the old version it comes with. See what happens :D

Sounds like it just might work ... I'll check it out. Thanks!!!

Also, I've got a GTS 250 coming for dedicated physx comparisons.

Hey, looks like that worked. SLI enabled on the 295, latest drivers, PhysX on the 240, no framerate drops. It seems to be capping it at 60-something, but I know how to fix that one easily!

Thanks a lot!!! Now it's time to do some REAL testing. With the 295 you have the unique ability to test both how much a dedicated physx card will help a high end graphics card or multi card solution, and how much it will help an upper-midrange card. I can't wait to do some more telling testing with PhysX now that it's working better.

Yo...that Mirrors Edge fix worked! AWESOME! Thanks a lot man! Full Physx max graphics and resolution (1920x1200) on a 9800m GTS! Never would have guessed that would be possible!

Heh, glad I could help :D

Can't wait to see how that GTS250 performs!

Well, it's a day late. It went "Out for Delivery" and then ended up back at the warehouse for some reason. The other package that was also supposed to be delivered yesterday showed up, but that was the one I didn't need!! It's always that way with Newegg. Their stuff usually shows up late to me, even though I'm not in a 2 day shipping zip code. Everybody else I order from gets stuff here on time or WAY EARLY, including Dell, Amazon, ZZF ... even BestBuy.com. Newegg has great customer service, but they consistently have the crappiest shipping service, at least for me personally.

Yep. Time to get a new game to test. In Mirror's Edge I notice virtually no difference between using a dedicated 9600GT, GT 240, or GTS 250 for PhysX. Results are a tad higher in minimum frames per second on the GTS 250. Max and average stay about the same, and even then, the difference is only 2-3 fps, and it's not extremely consistent. I really need to do some testing with Batman or Cryostasis .... Although honestly, just changing your dedicated physx card from a 240 to a 250 shouldn't really be that noticeable of a change I guess.

Yep. Time to get a new game to test. In Mirror's Edge I notice virtually no difference between using a dedicated 9600GT, GT 240, or GTS 250 for PhysX. Results are a tad higher in minimum frames per second on the GTS 250. Max and average stay about the same, and even then, the difference is only 2-3 fps, and it's not extremely consistent. I really need to do some testing with Batman or Cryostasis .... Although honestly, just changing your dedicated physx card from a 240 to a 250 shouldn't really be that noticeable of a change I guess.

Not if you talk to Unknown-One. I wouldn't jump into that conversation though :D

Not if you talk to Unknown-One. I wouldn't jump into that conversation though :D

I think it's just because of mirror's edge. Maybe it's more noticeable in another game. Or maybe there's something ELSE I'm doing wrong.

But seriously, if it's THIS HARD and takes THIS MUCH WORK just to get it working right

IT'S NOT ****ING WORTH IT.

At least that's how I feel after all this work ... sometimes I hate nVidia.

But seriously, if it's THIS HARD and takes THIS MUCH WORK just to get it working right

IT'S NOT ****ING WORTH IT.

At least that's how I feel after all this work ... sometimes I hate nVidia.

To be fair, weren't all your issues caused by the old version of PhysX that Mirrors Edge tries to use?

Things probably would have worked right from the start if we had known to remove those DLL files earlier.

Keep it in one thread, please. Now you're just being a troll.

Back