GeForce GTX 285 Is this good deal ?

$300 is nice, but i'd say wait till the 22nd, You'll see them go even lower ;)

I would wait until the end of next week before making a decision.
ATI refreshed lineup should put some on pressure on NVIDIA.

Thanks for all the input, I will wait. lol. I have 3 EVGA GTX260 SC now, just wanted to step up some. :)

I just paid the $184 dollars to setup to the 285. That should last me for awhile I think. I had the 260.

Nope $309 is a bad deal for old tech. A 5850 has better performance than a 285 and costs only $259 while giving DX11 and Eyefinity support. Once the 285 is priced appropriately lower, like ~$200, it might be considered a good deal at that point.

Not to mention in the last 9 months, the GTX 285 has gained at least 15% in overall performance, and more depending on the game. When the 285 first came out it benched as fast as the 4890 does now! If Nvidia doesn't come up with new cards soon the 5xxx series is going to flex its muscles as new drivers come out.

Not to mention in the last 9 months, the GTX 285 has gained at least 15% in overall performance, and more depending on the game. When the 285 first came out it benched as fast as the 4890 does now! If Nvidia doesn't come up with new cards soon the 5xxx series is going to flex its muscles as new drivers come out.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the super-folder Fermi. CPU features yes, increased folding performance most likely, gaming features where?? And this was the whitepaper for the corproate workstation graphics card, they don't even have a whitepaper for the product that would be aimed at gamers yet. Wait till 2010 if you're waiting on green team. I'll enjoy my 5870 in the meantime. :)

The latest [H] review shows 4890 is pretty much equal or very close to GTX285 for graphically intensive games like Crysis, ARMA while costing what, $100 cheaper?

I really don't see a valid reason for a GTX285 at its current pricing (which I'm sure will drop very soon).
5850 beats it for cheaper, and 4890 comes really close to it for a lot cheaper.

The latest [H] review shows 4890 is pretty much equal or very close to GTX285 for graphically intensive games like Crysis, ARMA while costing what, $100 cheaper?

I really don't see a valid reason for a GTX285 at its current pricing (which I'm sure will drop very soon).
5850 beats it for cheaper, and 4890 comes really close to it for a lot cheaper.

x2

Seriosly...I've been saying that GTX 285 is extremely overpriced for a while now. The fact (as proven by latest [H] review) that 285 delivers marginal if none at all performance gains over 4890 does not and did not ever justify its $350+ price tag.

But now that 5850 is out the $320+ average price is completely unjustifiable.

Last edited:
Back