GeminII vs RVT-12025 HSF User Review

Unless you've been living in a cave, I think everyone knows about the Cooler Master GeminII heatsink. One of the largest heatsinks on the market being able to house 2x 120mm fans.

The Kingwin Revolution RVT-12025 is much lesser well-known unless you've heard about the Xigmatek HDT-S1283. The Kingwin is a rebadeged Xigmatek and sold here in the US for $30.

GeminII w/ 2x 120mm 2000RPM 79cfm fans
DSCF0935.jpg

vs.

Kingwin RVT-12025 w/ 1x 120mm 1500RPM 99cfm fan
DSCF1184.jpg

TEST SETUP:

Intel C2D Q6600 B3 (2.4GHz, 3.0GHz, 3.2GHz)
EVGA 650i Ultra motherboard
EVGA 8800GT 512 (600/1500/900)
2GB (2x1GB 800MHz) PC2 6400
Corsair VX550W PSU
Antec 900 case
All fans full speed
Closed Case

AMBIENT ROOM TEMPERATURE: 21C (+/- .05C)
Prime95 tested small FFT: 15 minutes

VOLTS & SPEED:
With both tests, I used the exact same voltages:
2.4GHz
Vcore: AUTO

3.0GHz
Vcore: 1.312v

3.2GHz
Vcore: 1.343v

I kept an exact ambient room temperature of 21.0C throughout the tests monitoring it with a thermometer sitting above and in front of the case.

During the load tests, I ran Prime95, small FFT for exactly 15 minutes.
DSCF1198.jpg

Results:

chart.jpg

Cooler Master GeminII (lapped)
With a lapped base & 2x 120mm fans at full speed does okay. Idle speeds range from 38C-39C. During Prime95 load, the temps jump from 58C-70C. That’s not exactly impressive considering the size and weight of this HSF.

Kingwin Revolution RVT-12025
Here we see at idle, a -2C difference over the GeminII. This is pretty good considering it’s 200g lighter and only a single 120mm fan. Also, it’s much quieter. Putting a load on it, we see that the RVT-12025 does a MUCH better job at cooling the CPU across the board. At 3.2GHz, the RVT-12025 is a full 7C cooler than the GeminII.

Kingwin Revolution RVT-12025 = $30

Cooler Master GeminII = $30

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 = $40

Also, I don't know about the others, but the GeminII was essentially free AR, for months. I got mine for $8 shipped. I'll take a max of 7*C for 1/3 the price any day.

Very good review though.

The reviews you posted for cluboverclocker & Bib bruin compare the gemini to the 90mm version of the Kingwin, not to 120mm version.

Also, I don't know about the others, but the GeminII was essentially free AR, for months. I got mine for $8 shipped. I'll take a max of 7*C for 1/3 the price any day.

Very good review though.

I just posted current prices. I got my GeminII for $15 shipped, but I still had to buy two 120mm fans, adding another $8 on top of that.

Besides temps, I think the best thing about the RVT (besides the temp) is that I can now access my memory much easier now. :)

The reviews you posted for cluboverclocker & Bib bruin compare the gemini to the 90mm version of the Kingwin, not to 120mm version.

Good catch, I was unaware that there were multiple versions!

Any good comparisons out there to the 120 version?

Do0ders you posted this on the maximumpc forums to... SpAMiNg TeH iNterTUbeS!!!!!!!11!!1:p

Anyway, I'd still take the thermalright 120 Extreme over this cooler.

I was looking at the Kingwin for my C2D and wondered how flat the base is. One possible drawback to the exposed heatpipes is my reluctance to lap the base for fear of weakening the 'pipes.

so the kingwin ($29.99 @ directron) is 100% identical to the xigmatek? (fan, hardware, everything?)

There's no reason to lap the base. It appears that the base was lapped from the factory, the bottom of the pipes appear much more "raw" if you will, like they were already ground down. You DO have to put the TIM on a bit differently, spreading a layer on the HSF, then a dollop on the CPU.

As for being exactly the same, the Kingwin comes with a different (going to assume worse) fan, though I immediately put a Yate Loon on mine. From what another member implied, Kingwin mounts the fan at the factory, the Xigmatek version comes with the fan unmounted. From what the other member said, this definitely protects the fins a lot more.

I am eying one of these for my next upgrade. We'll see how the GeminII fares on the supposedly cooler running 45nm chips first, though.

I was deciding on the 90mm version then the 120mm for weeks then opted for the zerotherm OC edition. I dunno Coolers these massive scare me without a blackplate

Hello, I wrote the ClubOC review. I just got done testing the 120mm version, it performs pretty much identical to the GeminII according to my testing. Of course, the Revolution does not have the extra benefit of cooling the Northbridge and RAM, though.

Back