General Budget Build

PC_User

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi All,

Looking to build a PC for ~$500. It will be primarily used for office applications, internet browsing, multimedia, and other general tasks. No gaming or strenuous usage for this system. Considering a micro ATX build to save some space.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

CPU: i5 3570 - $120
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H - $75
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333 - $37
Samsung 840 120GB SSD - $100
Antec EarthWatts 380W - $45
DVD Burner - $17
Micro ATX Case - $38
Fans - $15
Tax & Shipping - $45

Total - ~$500

A Core i5 3570 for $120? Da hell?

Some additional questions:
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? UEFI? etc.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?

Ninja'd in some questions there ;)

Oh and niiice on the CPU.

A Core i5 3570 for $120? Da hell?

Some additional questions:
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Now
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? UEFI? etc. Nothing specific. Just looking for a general use PC that will last ~4 years or so.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Will use 64-bit Win 7

Go for this RAM instead:
$31 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10600CL9S-8GBNT 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM

At $50, that PSU isn't worth it IMO. Save yourself $5 and go with this PSU:
$45 - Corsair 430CX V2 430W PSU

Case wise, that's a really crappy case since it doesn't have free shipping and only comes with one 80mm fan. Check out the Fractal Design Core 1000 instead. Comes with one 120mm fan and significantly better cooling:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352009

SSD wise, you can still get the faster Samsung 830 128GB for $110 shipped plus no CA sales tax here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...7PC128B_WW_128GB_SSD_830_SERIES_INTERNAL.html

Go for this RAM instead:
$31 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10600CL9S-8GBNT 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM

Case wise, that's a really crappy case since it doesn't have free shipping and only comes with one 80mm fan. Check out the Fractal Design Core 1000 instead. Comes with one 120mm fan and significantly better cooling:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352009

SSD wise, you can still get the faster Samsung 830 128GB for $110 shipped plus no CA sales tax here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...7PC128B_WW_128GB_SSD_830_SERIES_INTERNAL.html

Thank you sir! Much appreciated. Was lost with the case as it has been a while since my last build.

Took a look at what the OEMs were offering. I could get this pre-build system for $440 shipped w/ tax. What do you think? Build my own system based on specs above or buy the HP desktop? Spec-wise it is slightly worse but will cost a bit less and won't require time spent building (and will come with OS license).

Kind of ashamed to even ask this question (since I've always built the systems) but this will be used by family members and not sure it is worth the time spent building it.

u4l5u.jpg

My main issue with that prebuilt PC is that its a HP. The quality of HP prebuilt PCs aren't that great in my experience. Dell and Lenovo definitely are better in quality IMO. But if your experience with HP is better, then go for it.

Also, that HP has Windows 8.

*shudder*

The extra $60 gets you a SSD instead of a mechanical drive, 2GB more RAM, and probably a longer warranty period since most stuff in your own build is going to be warrantied for 3 years vs. probably 1 year on the prebuilt. To top it all off, you know what you're putting in your build is going to be quality vs. who knows with the HP.

I would avoid prebuilt just for the sake of upgradability. And the fun you have building it.

I would avoid pre built just for the sake of upgradability. And the fun you have building it.

Completely agree! And you know the system in and out! Most of the products that you purchase these days with your own build have longer warranties then getting a pre-built any wase! Example my PSU 7 years, MB 5 years etc... :D And the computer you can say is all yours!

My main issue with that prebuilt PC is that its a HP. The quality of HP prebuilt PCs aren't that great in my experience. Dell and Lenovo definitely are better in quality IMO. But if your experience with HP is better, then go for it.

I have never gotten a pre-build DT so do not have much experience with either. Certainly would prefer to go with Lenovo or Dell but those have worse specs and are more expensive.

Also, that HP has Windows 8.

*shudder*

The extra $60 gets you a SSD instead of a mechanical drive, 2GB more RAM, and probably a longer warranty period since most stuff in your own build is going to be warrantied for 3 years vs. probably 1 year on the prebuilt. To top it all off, you know what you're putting in your build is going to be quality vs. who knows with the HP.

I would avoid prebuilt just for the sake of upgradability. And the fun you have building it.

Completely agree! And you know the system in and out! Most of the products that you purchase these days with your own build have longer warranties then getting a pre-built any wase! Example my PSU 7 years, MB 5 years etc... :D And the computer you can say is all yours!

You guys all have valid points. If this build were for me, I wouldn't even consider anything other than a self-built system. However, it is for the parents and their usage is very basic. I think an Ivy Bridge i5 + 6GB system should be able to last for years (upgrading from a very slow C2B w/ 2GB). Warranty is certainly a valid argument.

Does HP really use such low-quality parts? The PSU might be some 300W Chieftec but I would expect other parts to be decent (although who knows). Also, I would probably go with my own build but the 128GB SSD might not be enough space.

Last edited:
For the parents? That prebuilt would be fine. Should have said so in the first place :)

For the parents? That prebuilt would be fine. Should have said so in the first place :)

That's what I was thinking...unless you guys think that most of the parts (except CPU) are so crappy and failure-prone that it is worth going the self-built route. :)

Last edited:
Last question - For general everyday use...

Would you guys recommend I get a 128GB SSD and re-use an older 320GB Seagate for storage or go with a 500GB WD Blue as the primary drive?

Danny, the Corsair CX430 does not seem to have very good reviews on Newegg. Should I be reading into this at all?

Take them with a grain of salt.

However, if you're truly that scared by Newegg reviews, then go for the Antec NEO ECO 400C if you have a spare power cord available.

Take them with a grain of salt.

However, if you're truly that scared by Newegg reviews, then go for the Antec NEO ECO 400C if you have a spare power cord available.

Thanks. Went with the Corsair after reading positive reviews.

One last question regarding mobo -

Should I save some $ by choosing this ASRock B75M as an alternative?

Back