General rad setup questions

haelduksf

Limp Gawd
Couple of quick questions that occured to me browsing the forums here, didn't see the answers anywhere, so I thought I'd start a new thread instead of hijacking :rolleyes:

First of all, would mismatched fans on a shrouded 120.2 rad be a bad thing? It doesn't sound like it would be a problem, but then my aerodynamics knowledge is a bit sketchy.

Second, why does the Swiftech Apex kit come with the fans bolted to the rad? Is there some sort of secret to their rad design, or have they just skimped on a shroud for their $250 kit?

haelduksf said:
Couple of quick questions that occured to me browsing the forums here, didn't see the answers anywhere, so I thought I'd start a new thread instead of hijacking :rolleyes:

First of all, would mismatched fans on a shrouded 120.2 rad be a bad thing? It doesn't sound like it would be a problem, but then my aerodynamics knowledge is a bit sketchy.

Second, why does the Swiftech Apex kit come with the fans bolted to the rad? Is there some sort of secret to their rad design, or have they just skimped on a shroud for their $250 kit?

1) Not an issue, but most people run matched fans.

2) Their radiator basically has a built in shroud just like the BI series.

They pre-mounted as much stuff as possible to make it easier and faster for the normal end user to get the system up and running quickly................ :eek:

Bio-Hazard said:
They pre-mounted as much stuff as possible to make it easier and faster for the normal end user to get the system up and running quickly................ :eek:

now where's the fun in that? I think they should have shipped the thing with the storm block completely disassembled so that everyone could have the joy of putting every little piece together! Actually tbh I would kind of enjoy that, I grew up loving lego's and such hehehe.

About the shroud, no they did not include a shroud, and if you so desired you could make one and remount the fans, it should give you a nice 15% + performance boost.

As far as I know, no one includes a shroud with their kits as standard............ :cool: If they did, there wouldn't be any call for after market sales................ :eek: Not only will a shroud give you a performance increase, it'll also help silence yor fans.............. :cool:

Yep, shrouds are always nice to have if you can fit them. I haven't seen any shrouds specifically designed for Swiftech's new radiators (no, the couple of mm clearance on the rad itself isn't much of a shroud), but there are plenty of shrouds made for Black Ice radiators, and those might fit Swiftech's.

Back