George Hotz Gives $10k To The EFF

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like George Hotz gave the left over donations to his legal defense fund to the EFF. Sure, he didn't refund the money to all the people asking for it but at least it went to the EFF.

As promised, all left over legal defense money, plus a little to bump it to a nice number, has been sent to the EFF. Thank you all so much for your support, without it, things could have been much worse.

I wonder if this is a tax-deductable donation and how low his taxes might be and/or if he'll get a big refund from having donated $10,000?

I wonder if this is a tax-deductable donation and how low his taxes might be and/or if he'll get a big refund from having donated $10,000?

Does he even have a job or a taxable income? Seems like a kid like him probably wouldn't pay taxes anyway. That would be giving in to the man.

I can see being miffed that your donation essentially went to him not going to jail, but at least it held off sony for a bit longer.

FWIW lots of people rip off their legal defense fund and use it as income, but someone giving him money for legal defense is taxable if he decides to keep it. he can't write it off since it was never taxable income in the first place. it's just money that was gifted to his legal defense fund post tax that he's transferring on to the EFF so he doesn't have to pay taxes on it.

IANAL but that's pretty much how it works.

I didn't mean he was too young to pay taxes, I meant that he was unemployed and probably believes that taxes are immoral or whatever nonsense.

Hacking a PS3 makes you an anarchist of some sort?

Why do people insist on telling others about grammar, spelling or reposts? Who gives a flying PHUCK.

I'd be pissed if I gave that guy any money... in that not only was it not used for what it was bragged to be used for, but that in the end, it was given to an unfair, questionable organization. (After all, unless it is something that brings them in the light for more donations, the EFF really don't care.)

Oh, well.

I'd be pissed if I gave that guy any money... in that not only was it not used for what it was bragged to be used for, but that in the end, it was given to an unfair, questionable organization. (After all, unless it is something that brings them in the light for more donations, the EFF really don't care.)

Oh, well.

While I am disappointed that he didn't fight Sony, I'm not pissed.

Asking someone, even with financial backing, to take up a lawsuit with a multi-billion dollar company who can spend more on lawyers than he'll ever earn in his lifetime, and possibly face jail time, destroy his employment prospects for the rest of his life, and possibly incur fines that'd essentially impoverish him until he dies is rather arrogant.

Back