get a seagate 7200.10 500gb or a WD re2 500gb disk?

just like the title says.
should i get a seagate 7200.10 500gb or a western digital re2 500gb?

will be using it as os drive + storage, so i will be making a 100gb and a 400gb partition.
i like the 5year warranty. and the drives cost about the same.

williamjohansson said:
just like the title says.
should i get a seagate 7200.10 500gb or a western digital re2 500gb?

will be using it as os drive + storage, so i will be making a 100gb and a 400gb partition.
i like the 5year warranty. and the drives cost about the same.

The WD RE2, it has 5 year warranty as well and outperforms the seagate. Check out the review at storagereview.com

the SE16 series is the quietest drive at SPCR. I'd recommend it.

EDITED>> They're both have a good reliability record.

I've used both brands and recommend either.

WD. Seagate is not quieter. Read the SPCR review... That model has a 5yr also. My 250gb SE16 (basically same as RE2 sans certain enterprise features) is dead silent with all fans in my case at least 7ved (below 1000RPMs) quiet and they say the 500gb version is much quieter.

Never had problems with WDs, and I hear many stories about louder Seagates and higher motor variances.

Either would be a good choice really, but since I dont like loud annoying things the WD is a proven no brainer (at least for me).

hmm, the WD se16 "only" has 3 year warranty so i keep thinking that a couple of bucks more for the re2 or 7200.10 would be worth it since it has 5 year warranty? but will i really be using the same drive in 3 or 4 yers from now?

im having a REALLY hard time deciding.
silencing the hdd's is a given for me so im not worried about the noise really. vibration dampening+acoustipack is your friend.
im alsso thinking of maybe getting one of the new 36gb raptors and a cheap 300gb disk instead.

i would go with the Seagate 7200.10, i have 7 of them and they are great:)

If you are not using RAID, it is not recommended to use the RE or RE2 drives. If you do go with WD, go with the KS series.

i just got the 500GB RE2 drive 2 weeks ago. It is dead silent and performs extremely well for a large capacity drive. The RE2 means it has a feature called TLER which is meant for RAID applications. However many many people use these drives as a single drive and i have never heard of anyone having problems. TLER means that the drive will stop trying to correct a bad sector after 7 seconds rather than keep trying although if a sector is not recoverable after 7 seconds then it is most likely a true error and wont be recovered anyway. If you are worried about TLER than you can disable it with a utility called TLER.exe. Do a google search for TLER.zip or TLER.exe and you will find it. I personally didnt bother to turn it off because im simply not worried about it as i dont think it will negatively effect anything.

Budwise said:
i just got the 500GB RE2 drive 2 weeks ago. It is dead silent and performs extremely well for a large capacity drive. The RE2 means it has a feature called TLER which is meant for RAID applications. However many many people use these drives as a single drive and i have never heard of anyone having problems. TLER means that the drive will stop trying to correct a bad sector after 7 seconds rather than keep trying although if a sector is not recoverable after 7 seconds then it is most likely a true error and wont be recovered anyway. If you are worried about TLER than you can disable it with a utility called TLER.exe. Do a google search for TLER.zip or TLER.exe and you will find it. I personally didnt bother to turn it off because im simply not worried about it as i dont think it will negatively effect anything.

Once disabled, are you able to re-enable it?

right now im leaning to the se16 500gb drive.
it got the best price/gb ratio right now. and like several people stated its a good drive.
maybe the best choice?
should i go with silence now and go with performence later in the spring when ill probably upgrade from xp to vista? vista+a 10k drive doesnt seem to be like a bad springtime upgrade :)

FWIW, WD themselves recommend on their site not to use TLER drives in a non-raid configuration.

protias said:
Once disabled, are you able to re-enable it?

yea, you can turn it off and on. The RE2 drive is nice considering the 5 year warranty. TLER isnt a big deal. There are no reports of anyone actually getting any negative affects. Of course you can just turn it off though...

Budwise said:
TLER isnt a big deal. There are no reports of anyone actually getting any negative affects.
O Rly. There are lots of reports of lack of TLER being bad; look around. I haven't heard many problems the other way, but that could be user error; people think they're having problems with WD because WD is cheap and don't think about TLER.

i can get either the RE2 or the SE16 500gb drives for the same price.

so i probably should choose the RE2 right? 2 extra years of warranty and the same performence.

unhappy_mage said:
O Rly. There are lots of reports of lack of TLER being bad; look around. I haven't heard many problems the other way, but that could be user error; people think they're having problems with WD because WD is cheap and don't think about TLER.

The only reason not having TLER would be bad is for RAID applications which is what TLER is designed for.

If they are the same price id get the RE2 for the extra warranty, which i did get and love so far.

Back