Get QMD's on your linux boxen !

RPhArrow

Gawd
With fully capable boxen running various forms of linux, I never was able to get QMD's .. until NOW ! With a P4 3.0 box running Fedora Core 3 with a GB of ram, I finally installed wine, downloaded the Windows 5.04 client, and bingo --- started pulling QMD's immediately. So if you have adequate hardware but don't want to spend $ on windows, you can still get a high points producing box.

Foldix never pulled a QMD? Come to think of it, I don't think the fold server ever did.

Does normal Linux pull QMD's?

For the record, discussion of this on the FCF is here. Happened in September, and then I forgot about it.

Even AMDs can pull QMDs on Linux. However, there are seperate ASes for Linux, Windows, and Mac. They hand out different chunks of WUs, and not as many QMDs get put in the Linux pile.

unhappy_mage said:
For the record, discussion of this on the FCF is here. Happened in September, and then I forgot about it.

Even AMDs can pull QMDs on Linux. However, there are seperate ASes for Linux, Windows, and Mac. They hand out different chunks of WUs, and not as many QMDs get put in the Linux pile.

Thanks for the discussion link Mage -- but the bottom line seems to be "use linux , but run wine if you want a steady diet of QMD" :)

Speaking of STFU...

This is IMO another example of Stanford's odd way of running things. Why oh why is there not a *single* cluster handling WU assignment and retrieval? It makes no sense to me whatsoever. That would remove the need for an "assignment server", remove the "your server is down" issues, and in general a lot of the clumsy methods that FAH uses.

marty9876 said:
Foldix never pulled a QMD? Come to think of it, I don't think the fold server ever did.

Does normal Linux pull QMD's?
For better or worse, I don't think there is any such thing as "normal" linux :rolleyes: I',m still trying to master DOS 6.2 . but I can't find it anymore.... j/k

unhappy_mage said:
Speaking of STFU...

This is IMO another example of Stanford's odd way of running things. Why oh why is there not a *single* cluster handling WU assignment and retrieval? It makes no sense to me whatsoever. That would remove the need for an "assignment server", remove the "your server is down" issues, and in general a lot of the clumsy methods that FAH uses.

Agreed !! YTM

RPhArrow

rofl i coulda told you that... lonely geeks + photoshop + internet = ... linux chicks ;)

So confusing. I know little about Linux, even less about wine. Foldix should be able to pull the 5.02 core and get QMDs.

ICE_9 said:
So confusing. I know little about Linux, even less about wine. Foldix should be able to pull the 5.02 core and get QMDs.

Busy mage?

Moron thought on the morning-

Can wine run on Foldix? IE can a version of QMD Foldix (?) be made where instead on the Linux client, wine auto installs and is pre configured for QMDs?

Disclaimer: No clue what I'm talking about here. I thought the chicks were real... :(

Technically possible. I'd have to do quite a bit of work on wine, though; I don't know if it requires X. If it does, forget it. Compiling X is an all-day project, and there's no guarantee it'll work the first time around. I'm not sure what libraries, etc, it uses, either; it'll almost certainly double the size of Foldix. And lastly, I'd rather not use the Windows client; there's no logistical reason IMO (unless there are technical ones) to seperate the Linux clients from the Windows ones. Using the Windows client is giving in to the Man, and that's bad.

Fight the power!

I think this might be a low prority deal but...

Only reason to use windows client is the reason you stated, Stanford does not keep many QMD's on the Linux AS server, vs. the windows AS. So only real way to get QMD's is from some windows client thangy

marty9876 said:
I think this might be a low prority deal but...

Only reason to use windows client is the reason you stated, Stanford does not keep many QMD's on the Linux AS server, vs. the windows AS. So only real way to get QMD's is from some windows client thangy
To steal something p[H] said to me yesterday....

Marty is #8340023 of Bill. Resistance is futile.
;)

AtomicMoose said:

;)

lol

anyway. yes wine runs on X

DR_K13 said:
anyway. yes wine runs on X
Yes, I know, it runs on X, but do you *need* X to compile it? I know with console-only programs (for example pifast) it doesn't start a new window, it just puts output to whatever console it happens to be at. So given that FAH is console-based, it'd be a lot easier to put just Wine on Foldix rather than Wine and X. I'll have to work on it. Class at 1, though, and lunch to eat, so I've got other priorities.

AtomicMoose said:

;)

huh

Back