Getting a decent 1U Dell Server...how do I set it up as a firewall?

DMarti

[H]ard|Gawd
1U specs:

2XPIII 866 512Mb Ram, 3 x 36Gb 10K drives, floppy, cdrom

need detailed link that will explain as I am a networking n00b.

I Just need some guidace.

Thanks in advance,

David

Throw 2+ NICs in it.. Then install IPCop, Smoothwall, or monowall, to name a few.

Big waste of horsepower in my opinion, and drive space, but any of the Linux based firewalls would work fine on it. I'm using smoothwall currently but have used IPCop in the past. Running famously on a 200Mhz pentium Pro with 96 MB of memory.

it does seem like quite a bit of machine if you are only serving you home network for example. What kind of network, or how much bandwidth are you planning on running through this machine?

cable modem on a higher tier speed. I do serve video and music on this network, game and surf on 5 different PC including wireless.

I am using a similar speced 2U with 2X1.0Ghz CPU's to serve my music and picures as well as application backups.

Perhaps i can find better use of the horsepower than just a firewall.....need some ideas.

DMarti said:
I am using a similar speced 2U with 2X1.0Ghz CPU's to serve my music and picures as well as application backups.

Perhaps i can find better use of the horsepower than just a firewall.....need some ideas.
Look into VMWare... especially ESX server. No Host OS required!

Back