Getting a nvlddmkm.sys BSOD on boot... Any ideas?

HRP

n00b
Hey folks.

Built a computer a couple years ago and we are just now having our first tiff. Not bad, I suppose... Vista 64, Q6600, 8800GT

Went to boot up Firefox this afternoon and my system just totally crashed. This is not normal. Hard reset.

On boot, the screen is littered with exclamation marks and the mobo boot graphics have some artifacts in them. At this point I am not happy. It makes it to the loading bar and then goes black. After about 30 seconds, a blue screen pops up with a wall of text that I can't possibly read in its entirety in the 6-7 seconds it gives me, but the one thing that sticks out is an error from nvlddmkm.sys. Computer restarts for me, and I have no choice but to head into Safe Mode.

Safe Mode works fine. I tried uninstalling my NVIDIA drivers, but when I went to install new ones, the installer gave me an error message saying that it couldn't find compatible drivers for my hardware. Awesome. After that I had to break out my Vista discs since I deleted my drivers and every boot would bring me to a black screen with a sad, little mouse pointer that couldn't do anything. Used system restore to bring it back to a few days ago, hoping to erase some sort of MS update or something that I may have missed or my brother might have installed, etc. No luck, back to just Safe Mode.

I have a couple ideas; a) my 8800GT is fried, or b) there's some horrendous driver issue going on here that is going to be a ridiculous pain to take care of.

Any ideas? I've looked around on various comp/tech forums and there seems to be boatloads of these kinds of problems, but for all different reasons and with all different sorts of answers, most of which fix nothing.

Thanks

HRP

Video card is fried. Same exact thing happened to one of my MSI 8800GTs. RMA time :(

Yeah, sounds like a fried card, pretty much confirmed by the corrupted graphics even outside of Windows.

And the reason that driver errors have multiple causes is that driver errors don't necessarily have anything to do with drivers. A lot of the time with bad video cards the problems only (or first, or mostly) manifest themselves once you install drivers because you need to do that to activate some hardware function on the card.

Alright, thanks for confirming my suspicions you two.

I've been contemplating dropping some cash on a new card lately anyways, so I guess this is just the final push.

5850, here I come...

Back