Getting desired resolutions in FEAR. w/pics

LunchboX3904

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't know about you guys, but I wasn't able to simply select 1280x1024 in F.E.A.R. so I did a little research and used it myself. This method worked perfectly for me and I hope you get the same results :)

Step 1.

You'll want to find the settings.cfg file in this directory: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Monolith Productions\FEAR. Open the file with Notepad.

This is what he contents of the folder should look like and I highlighted the file you want.

step11jm.jpg

Step 2.

Find the lines of code that I've selected and input the desired resolution. You can see that I've put in 1280 x 1024.

step20pl.jpg

Step 3.

Finally, so that FEAR doesn't automatically change the resolution back, you'll want to make the settings.cfg file a read only. Right click on it and go to properties. Then simply select "Read-only" and click ok.

step38zk.jpg

Fire it up and enjoy un-interpolated F.E.A.R. :)

So will you still have all of the other resolutions too + 1280x1024 ? Is this a stupid question :confused:

You'd have to make the file writable again to change your resolution in game.

TheGamerZ said:
You'd have to make the file writable again to change your resolution in game.

yea you would. You CAN still change the res back to those offered in the game, but once you close out the game and start it back up, it's going to be whatever you manually changer it to in the config file.

What other things can you tweak in that file? Cause I'm thinking about making the rocket launcher a little stronger, it's weak as hell.

If its this easy to set 1280x1024 in the cfg file, why was it not written into the game :confused: :confused:

lee63 said:
If its this easy to set 1280x1024 in the cfg file, why was it not written into the game :confused: :confused:

My guess is that this game is such a system hog that very few can run it well at the current setting resolution much less a higher one.

Might give this a try and see how it looks. :D

nmanley said:
My guess is that this game is such a system hog that very few can run it well at the current setting resolution much less a higher one.

Might give this a try and see how it looks. :D
Yeah I agree, but they have 1600x1200 written into the game "weird"
:confused:

yeah, game developers are retarded when it comes to resolutions.. why can't they just provide all of them.. this is why i love valve.. they have 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 aspect ratios to choose from with all the resoutions for each one!!!!!!

mjz_5 said:
yeah, game developers are retarded when it comes to resolutions.. why can't they just provide all of them.. this is why i love valve.. they have 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 aspect ratios to choose from with all the resoutions for each one!!!!!!
Because 1280x1024 is neither 4:3, 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio. It's 5:4. The "retarded" game devlopers were probably trying to maintain the correct FOV, and an industry-standard aspect ratio.

Made the change to 1280x1024 in the cfg file and maxed all all the graphic and computer settings in the game. Looks and plays great. :D

banGerprawN said:
Because 1280x1024 is neither 4:3, 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio. It's 5:4. The "retarded" game devlopers were probably trying to maintain the correct FOV, and an industry-standard aspect ratio.
Whats FOV? Anyway most games have that res, why not F.E.A.R. ??

FOV = field of vision. The aspect ratio between 1280x1024 vs. 1024x768 is gonna be quite minor. That's nothing to worry about. I've played in both modes and it's not a problem.

So F.E.A.R. looks like any other game at that res, I mean not fuzzy, and normal looking?

LunchboX3904 said:
FOV = field of vision. The aspect ratio between 1280x1024 vs. 1024x768 is gonna be quite minor. That's nothing to worry about. I've played in both modes and it's not a problem.

You can maintain proper FOV at any aspect ratio. And considering that 1280x1024 is the native res for many LCD monitors, it's more the exception than the rule that game developers don't support it.

Considering how many people have 1280x1024 LCDs, I find it amazing that some devs still havent added it.

Back