getting into bitcoining?

Take it you are using BTCe to exchange. How do you go from BTCe to Coinbase? Or are there extra transfers that you are doing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Coinbase accepts BTC so I exchange my LTC for BTC on BTCe then send the BTC over to Coinbase where I then sell the BTC and the resulting USD is deposited automatically into my bank account.

yeah I ended up searching for it and got the answer, I should stop being lazy :D

coinotron.com has a listing in the top right of their page of the major coins, their value relative to bitcoin, as well as their current difficulty.

allchains.info also has the progress of the current block set, difficulty, and expected next difficulty (along with retarget times) Good place to get info if you like to try and anticipate difficulty swings.

$225 for a card that is $300 new and has been used for mining...that seems a bit optimistic.

I'd say that's a fair price and what most used 7950's go for. I've been mining with the same cards for 2 years and they work as good as the day I bought them. No real point in looking for cards that have not been used for mining since you can say anything and some people just game a bunch on their cards.

From his ad, it looks like they were well taken care of.

Not some dust crusted gaming card that was never taken care of.

+1

A 25% discount is more than fair. It really amazes me even when there is a good deal out there, there will always be "that guy" that wants just a little bit more.

I'd rather have a well taken care of bitcoin card vs some card that's sad uncooled and covered in dust, hooked up to a marginal power supply.

225 for the card could be just the deal some poor high school kid is looking for to get into gaming, who knows.

+1

A 25% discount is more than fair. It really amazes me even when there is a good deal out there, there will always be "that guy" that wants just a little bit more.

I'd rather have a well taken care of bitcoin card vs some card that's sad uncooled and covered in dust, hooked up to a marginal power supply.

225 for the card could be just the deal some poor high school kid is looking for to get into gaming, who knows.

Poor high school kid capable of acquiring $225 dollars needs to learn some discipline to gain the extra $75 for a brand new card. I'd personally not pay more then $200 for a used 7950...regardless of whether it was used for five minutes or five months. When selling stuff I wouldn't expect more then 70% return on initial cost.

Poor high school kid capable of acquiring $225 dollars needs to learn some discipline to gain the extra $75 for a brand new card. I'd personally not pay more then $200 for a used 7950...regardless of whether it was used for five minutes or five months. When selling stuff I wouldn't expect more then 70% return on initial cost.

Lol what does discipline have to do with getting a card for a better deal? If warranty is transferable and then what does it matter?

Lol didn't realize all the talk.

I appreciate all the advice. And yeah, they were taken really well care of.

Both went pretty quick.

Now to just keep my current card for longer than 6 months... lol

Erm, $225 is more than fair. One of my 7950s sold for $260 on eBay a few weeks ago.

Sorry, but it's not called discipline to spend an extra $75 dollars and get NO extra performance or other benefit out of it, other than the bag smelling new.

Using your logic nobody should *EVER* buy a used car, or even think about wearing 2nd hand clothes.

If you are not willing to pay more than 200 dollars for a used 7950 -- that's totally cool, but the market has proven multiple times there are more than a few willing to pay a fair price for it. I'm not attacking or trying to talk down or anything, but value is all a matter of perspective. General perceived value for these cards used is higher than 200 easy. Will that be true in 6 months? of course not, but right now :)

Sorry, but it's not called discipline to spend an extra $75 dollars and get NO extra performance or other benefit out of it, other than the bag smelling new.

Using your logic nobody should *EVER* buy a used car, or even think about wearing 2nd hand clothes.

If you are not willing to pay more than 200 dollars for a used 7950 -- that's totally cool, but the market has proven multiple times there are more than a few willing to pay a fair price for it. I'm not attacking or trying to talk down or anything, but value is all a matter of perspective. General perceived value for these cards used is higher than 200 easy. Will that be true in 6 months? of course not, but right now :)

Clothes do not come with a warranty nor are they expected to have one new or used, cars can be bought with a warranty, second hand graphics cards do not have warranties that carry over from the first owner (if your on the up and up).

For my particular experiences, three of my ten mining cards are going through RMA process now for x2 failed fans, and x1 failed VRMs with about 60-90 days of continuous mining on them. Had I gone the cheap route to save $225 bucks and had to replace the cards, I'd be spending another $675-$900 to replace these cards, depending on if I went new or used. Spending the extra $75 dollars for warranty alone is a pretty good idea...ESPECIALLY if you have limited funds.

Clothes do not come with a warranty nor are they expected to have one new or used, cars can be bought with a warranty, second hand graphics cards do not have warranties that carry over from the first owner (if your on the up and up).

For my particular experiences, three of my ten mining cards are going through RMA process now for x2 failed fans, and x1 failed VRMs with about 60-90 days of continuous mining on them. Had I gone the cheap route to save $225 bucks and had to replace the cards, I'd be spending another $675-$900 to replace these cards, depending on if I went new or used. Spending the extra $75 dollars for warranty alone is a pretty good idea...ESPECIALLY if you have limited funds.

Asus cards, don't require a proof of purchase, they keep warranty info on the serial number regardless of the owner. Most other companies require a proof of purchase, doesn't matter if it matches your name or not. You can easily get warranty for second hand cards, in fact I just bought two xfx 7950's and registered them in my name without issues. Sounds like you have had some bad luck but you can't assume used cards will break quickly

Clothes do not come with a warranty nor are they expected to have one new or used, .

yes, they actually do. LL Bean has a warranty and so does Leatherback to name two that come to mind. I'm sure lots of other companies do as well.

Well, if I were to sell one of my MSI TF3 7950's, I'd price it around $240 shipped. They still have >2.5 years warranty remaining and they're MSI, so the warranty will actually get honored (unlike asus)

Maybe I'm just lucky but I've been bitcoin mining for a while, and I've never had a single piece of hardware fail on me. Sapphire, XFX, MSI, PowerColor, are the latest brands, but out of the 7 cards I've ran for years, not one has failed and these were running almost 24/7 in Texas heat.

Granted - with Powercolor -- I take it upon myself to upgrade the fans and rig up a more efficient solution than stock. Their stock shroud/single fan just doesn't cut it.

And even though it's already been touched on -- clothes do have warranties. Used: depends on the brand. But if it's a new shirt - i don't care if it's from walmart and only cost 5 dollars, if it falls apart after the first wash you bet your ass I'm taking it back and getting my money back.

And there are a few gpu manufacturers that actually advertise that their warranty is fully transferable - XFX used to do lifetime for original owner with fully transferable to 2nd hand. I'm sure there were SOME limitations, but it does exist. Everyone will have their own stories about certain brands and their experience with warranty claims but that's beside the point.

If I was a broke ass kid and didn't have enough money for a shiny new pretty card - I'd be happy as hell with a used card for a lot less money.

Asus cards, don't require a proof of purchase, they keep warranty info on the serial number regardless of the owner. Most other companies require a proof of purchase, doesn't matter if it matches your name or not. You can easily get warranty for second hand cards, in fact I just bought two xfx 7950's and registered them in my name without issues. Sounds like you have had some bad luck but you can't assume used cards will break quickly

yes, they actually do. LL Bean has a warranty and so does Leatherback to name two that come to mind. I'm sure lots of other companies do as well.

Well, if I were to sell one of my MSI TF3 7950's, I'd price it around $240 shipped. They still have >2.5 years warranty remaining and they're MSI, so the warranty will actually get honored (unlike asus)

Maybe I'm just lucky but I've been bitcoin mining for a while, and I've never had a single piece of hardware fail on me. Sapphire, XFX, MSI, PowerColor, are the latest brands, but out of the 7 cards I've ran for years, not one has failed and these were running almost 24/7 in Texas heat.

Granted - with Powercolor -- I take it upon myself to upgrade the fans and rig up a more efficient solution than stock. Their stock shroud/single fan just doesn't cut it.

And even though it's already been touched on -- clothes do have warranties. Used: depends on the brand. But if it's a new shirt - i don't care if it's from walmart and only cost 5 dollars, if it falls apart after the first wash you bet your ass I'm taking it back and getting my money back.

And there are a few gpu manufacturers that actually advertise that their warranty is fully transferable - XFX used to do lifetime for original owner with fully transferable to 2nd hand. I'm sure there were SOME limitations, but it does exist. Everyone will have their own stories about certain brands and their experience with warranty claims but that's beside the point.

If I was a broke ass kid and didn't have enough money for a shiny new pretty card - I'd be happy as hell with a used card for a lot less money.

Ok I give, I'm the asshole.

Ok I give, I'm the asshole.

Well, at least you can admit it :p

My Jalapeno has already paid itself off (in under 2 weeks), and my 2 7950s i bought in march paid themselves off. Now onto pure profits, no electricity bill for me. 8GHash/s ftw!

still not convinced now is the best time to cash out though.

Well, at least you can admit it :p

My Jalapeno has already paid itself off (in under 2 weeks), and my 2 7950s i bought in march paid themselves off. Now onto pure profits, no electricity bill for me. 8GHash/s ftw!

still not convinced now is the best time to cash out though.

I ordered 5 K16s from Terrahash with a delivery date of mid-late august...hoping they're able to meet their deadline so I can kick it with 24Gh before difficulty goes crazy....

I'm both happy and sad I didn't jump on the Butterfly Labs bandwagon.

I was really interested in picking up a few Jalapeno's but this was almost a year ago at this point. I'd have been raging [H]ardcore with all the craziness that BFL has done the past 6 months or so with delay after delay.

I only mine LTC at this point -- kicking myself though because before the first ASIC's started hitting and LTC was something like 6 cents per coin, I looked at the difficulty of BTC vs LTC and kept my GPU's on BTC for an extra month as the difficulty started shooting up quickly. Who would have thought LTC would jump up to 4+ dollars, lol. Back then I could mine something like 2000 coins a month with my tiny little GPU setup, could have made so much damn money if I'd switched to LTC earlier than I planned.

Either way -- my last two GPU's were free due to cashing out some LTC and re-mining it, paid for itself pretty quickly b/c I was in a "free utilities" situation. Now? I own my own home so profit has been reduced something like 25-30% currently due to the crazy Texas heat we are getting (100F already, will probably be 110F by August.

C'mon Winter! nothing beats a toasty house in winter due to GPU heat that's cranking out money at the same time.

I'm both happy and sad I didn't jump on the Butterfly Labs bandwagon.

I was really interested in picking up a few Jalapeno's but this was almost a year ago at this point. I'd have been raging [H]ardcore with all the craziness that BFL has done the past 6 months or so with delay after delay.

I only mine LTC at this point -- kicking myself though because before the first ASIC's started hitting and LTC was something like 6 cents per coin, I looked at the difficulty of BTC vs LTC and kept my GPU's on BTC for an extra month as the difficulty started shooting up quickly. Who would have thought LTC would jump up to 4+ dollars, lol. Back then I could mine something like 2000 coins a month with my tiny little GPU setup, could have made so much damn money if I'd switched to LTC earlier than I planned.

Either way -- my last two GPU's were free due to cashing out some LTC and re-mining it, paid for itself pretty quickly b/c I was in a "free utilities" situation. Now? I own my own home so profit has been reduced something like 25-30% currently due to the crazy Texas heat we are getting (100F already, will probably be 110F by August.

C'mon Winter! nothing beats a toasty house in winter due to GPU heat that's cranking out money at the same time.

Agreed...I had my x7 7950s overclocked getting about 75kh extra per card over stock settings but the heat has made me downclock the cards to default settings to keep them from melting apart. Can't wait for winter so I can duct the exhaust heat into my ventilation and use that heat for something.

I think I might sell my Butterfly Labs 7GHASH Jalapeno ASIC miner.

Anyone interested? Looking for $2500 as that's about what they are going for on ebay.

I think I might sell my Butterfly Labs 7GHASH Jalapeno ASIC miner.

Anyone interested? Looking for $2500 as that's about what they are going for on ebay.

Seriously, people are paying $2500 for those? Lol. Those only make 2.86 BTC/month at current difficulty, so close to $300. That will likely half by next month.

eBay it now and take advantage of the idiots I guess.

Seriously, people are paying $2500 for those? Lol. Those only make 2.86 BTC/month at current difficulty, so close to $300. That will likely half by next month.

eBay it now and take advantage of the idiots I guess.

The value of bitcoin could go sky high in the foreseeable future. It had a high of a good bit over $200 this year. If that happens, lets say, in January 2014, and I keep this guy, I could stand to collect much more than $2500.

The value of bitcoin could go sky high in the foreseeable future. It had a high of a good bit over $200 this year. If that happens, lets say, in January 2014, and I keep this guy, I could stand to collect much more than $2500.

Well, consider maybe the high price is just due to all the hype surrounding ASICs right now. More players (BitFury) are entering the market, you'll be able to get 400 GH/s for $8000 come October. Feel free to sit on it, but I would bet 1 BTC you won't get more than $200-300 for that unit by year's end.

That $200+ value in bitcoin also coincided with a national financial crisis where Cyprians...Cyprans....Cypressians....people from Cypress...exchanged their crappy currency into BTC...not sure we are gonna see BTC values that high for a long time/if ever.

That $200+ value in bitcoin also coincided with a national financial crisis where Cyprians...Cyprans....Cypressians....people from Cypress...exchanged their crappy currency into BTC...not sure we are gonna see BTC values that high for a long time/if ever.
Cyprus* :p

then keep it.

Lol i feel you here.

I'm in south Louisiana.

I just recently had to sell my 2x7950s and move to a single 7970 because the heat was ridiculous.

Went from 1.1mhs to 680khs... but went from 2 gpus at 70C with AIO coolers to 1 gpu at 50c with an AIO cooler. The heat feels like 1/4th

Last edited:
Lol i feel you here.

I'm in south Louisiana.

I just recently had to sell my 2x7950s and move to a single 7970 because the heat was ridiculous.

Went from 1.1mhs to 680khs... but went from 2 gpus at 70C with AIO coolers to 1 gpu at 50c with an AIO cooler. The heat feels like 1/4th

Im in the St. Louis area so we have hateful, humid summers here as well. I ended up building an enclosure and am using external air to cool x7 7950s and then vent their heat back outside. During the 100+ degree days we've had this year, one of the cards maxed out at 97c but they mostly stick to around mid-80s. Can't wait for winter so I can make use of all that hot air...should help the keep the heater off quite a bit and I've got a patched panel in my main duct shaft that I can exhaust the rig's heat into for complete integration, lol.

They are barely selling for $2000 now for 7ghash. Window is basically shut unless you want to take a gamble or put a buy it now price. I'm holding onto mine and getting some Block Erupterz to compliment it.

the Block Erupterz are tempting -- but from a financial standpoint it might be better to just buy your coins outright.

factoring the time and how fast they generate coins -- you are looking at almost a year to recoup your investment if i bought two. By the time that year is up the difficulty might be 10X what it is now.

These little buggers would have been great to have about 2 years ago :)

After a few calculations -- and the fact I just bought a house, I'm big into home improvement at the moment and probably shouldn't blow a few hundred dollars on some bitcoin usb dongles

They are barely selling for $2000 now for 7ghash. Window is basically shut unless you want to take a gamble or put a buy it now price. I'm holding onto mine and getting some Block Erupterz to compliment it.

I got a 30Ghash miner for just over $3000. I figure that in 6 months if it's worth $1000, I'd have gotten my money out of it. Makes about $35/day currently, and I figure it will still make $10 a day in 6 months. $2000 for a 7Ghash is way too expensive.

Back