Getting new Athlon 64, Question about RAM for them.

Blackdog

Limp Gawd
The last time I built my computer was about 2 years ago. Currently, it's an Asus A7N8X Deluxe Mobo running an Athlon 2800+ Barton and 1.5 GB of PC2700 RAM (the mobo revision at first didn't support 400 MHz FSB, and the CPU itself was only a 333 MHz FSB CPU).

Anyways, I'm now upgrading. I have an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard coming today from Newegg. I am going to also order an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor - OEM. I want to get some Corsair XMS Memory - PC3200, a 1 GB Stick.

My question is this: does it have to be ECC Registered with the Athlon 64's now, or does that matter? I was told with my Athlon XP 2800+ Barton that it didn't matter by alot of people. But this will be my first Athlon 64.

PS - I read the FAQ and for some reason did not see this in there or I missed it, so I apolagize if I did.
redface.gif

No you dont need ECC,......i think the only 64 proc that needs ECC is an FX53 IIRC, i could be wrong tho......but your ram will fit just fine in there, the one you wanna buy all 64's but the FX53 can use NON ecc ram

soulsaver_8229

s940 needs registered ram, but that's it. not s939 or 754.

ecc.. doesn't matter. you can just disable it. typically non-ecc ram is much cheaper, so i'd go with that.

arnemetis said:
O, and one more thing, dont get a winchester, go venice if its not too late.
Little bit too late, but thanks for the warning. :)

Why go Venice over Winchester? That is the first time somebody recommended it to me. Everybody else swore by Winchester core. :confused:

I'm not going to OC, so that should maybe factor into recommendations. :)

if you don't overclock, it doesn't matter, but the venice core typically oc's a good amount better than winchester.. though the 3500+'s seem to do really well. check the winchester oc database in my sig.

Back