GF 6600GT AGP + P4 1,7GHz

jaak170

n00b
I'm planning to buy Club 3D GeForce 6600GT AGP for my computer, which has CPU P4 1,7GHz and 256MB RAM. I also would like to buy some more RAM for my PC. The question is - is this card going to work on my PC? I'm also planning to buy some Corsair RAM 512MB, which costs about $130. This GF6600GT costs about $220. That card is located here and RAM is located here.
I bought that computer three years ago, it was 2002 then.
It would be very nice if someone could give me some good advice.

Thanks!

The 6600GT is a nice card, though you can probably find the 6800NU for a little more expensive, which does show some improvement over the 6600GT and you might have the chance to unlock the pipes. For the ram, I'd suggest going 1GB(512x2) rather then going 512MB(256x2). The 1GB will definately help out in games, so I'd suggest you going with that.

WTH??? one corsair 512mb= 130?? with that system.. any pc3200 ram is fine.... get the 512mb x2 =1024 for like 80 bucks??? @ newegg also.. corsair too.. then get the videocard that u wanted. a 6600gt is fine... and save the rest for a new cpu/mobo.. b/c you REALLY need that.. a especially playing cs:s or any unrealtournament game.

aZn_plyR said:
WTH??? one corsair 512mb= 130?? with that system.. any pc3200 ram is fine.... get the 512mb x2 =1024 for like 80 bucks??? @ newegg also.. corsair too.. then get the videocard that u wanted. a 6600gt is fine... and save the rest for a new cpu/mobo.. b/c you REALLY need that.. a especially playing cs:s or any unrealtournament game.

Check his location - doesn't appear to be continental US :rolleyes:

As for will everything work? It should, though the CPU is going to limit the GPUs performance I'll bet.

Can OpenGL 1.5 cards able to run OpenGL 2.0 games....or is it better to get a card with OpenGL 2.0 instead?

I don't care about like CS or Unreal. I'd be happy if "San Andreas" is running ok with this card and RAM.

jaak170 said:
I don't care about like CS or Unreal. I'd be happy if "San Andreas" is running ok with this card and RAM.

San Andreas should run ok with a 6600GT and 1GB of RAM, though it may get a little choppy in instances of heavy CPU usage.

Yes the card will work. I would definitely buy some value memory since fast timings won't make that much of a difference on your system.

thewas said:
i would not buy that 6600gt its memory speed is at 900 mhx

All he has to do is use coolbits in the nvidia control pannel and clock it at 1Ghz or higher.

Back