GF 8600 Ultra, GT and 8300 news

Anybody want to bet they come out with a AGP release ..bet me .
No doubt it will be pipelined down but have attributes to be able
to hang. I think they will do-it . Little less power but great graphics.

I'm really glad I bought a 8800GTX on launch now.. I was starting to regret the purchase because its prob a little overpowered for CSS. :p
But with having to wait till Q3 for the 8600Ultra and NV/ATI are stretching out the midrange so far out... geez..

guess I dont regret the 8800GTX purchase after all. I'm enjoying it, and playing this little game these companies play is a joke.
Plus, since the money doesnt matter to me, not having to ever worry if I have the horsepower for my games is nice!

Why are people getting pissed? At least at this rate our cards don't get out dated in a week anymore.

Nvidia certainly has been busy. The specs on that Ultra card look mighty tasty! My nitpick to Nvidia: WTF is up with necro-raising the "Ultra" suffix? It's already confusing enough with GT, GTX, GS, etc. Now you want to put "Ultra" back in to the mix? :confused:

do you think the 8600 Ultra would be significantly faster than my XFX 7950GT?

i would buy an 8800GTS now, except i need a card that is no longer than a 7950GT or it won't fit in my Silverstone LC16-M case.

regards

do you think the 8600 Ultra would be significantly faster than my XFX 7950GT?

i would buy an 8800GTS now, except i need a card that is no longer than a 7950GT or it won't fit in my Silverstone LC16-M case.

regards

At this point, we can only speculate on the performance of these cards. Considering how efficient G80 is, my guess is that it should be faster.

The 8600 Ultra does look very interesting, but I still have my eyes on the 320 MB model of 8800 GTS. It should be the best bang for your buck card, after it's out.

With the 86U at the proposed 180$, SLi would be easy on the budget, not to mention a combined 1gb of vid.mem :eek:

Wish they would have benched the Ultra!

:eek: I'm thinking that this could be the mainstream setup of choice right here. :eek:

They can't get them out fast enough as far as I'm concerned.
Lazy's got the right idea with this one - just go SLI off the bat. If they are ~$200 for the 512MB, 2 of these in SLI would definitely be no joke.

When SLi'ed 512MB + 512MB =! 1024MB. The effective memory is still 512MB.

Yeah, but effective 512-bit memory bus. I'll take that any day over 1024MB RAM on a 256-bit bus!

If the 8600 Ultra looks like the card in that picture, I'm gonna be stoked! The PCB layout looks just like the 7600gt PCB layout... meaning... the Arctic Cooling Silencer NV6 should fit! :D

Here's hoping they release the 8600 Ultra in March to be more competitive with Ati! Otherwise, why would they release the $179 price tag now?

why is everyone quoting the 179$ price tag for the 512meg card? The 512 card will obviously be more. There are 2 listed there, 256/512. The 256meg Ultra will undoubtably be $179, the 512 will come in somewhere over $200.

Too good to be true...

The recent rumors regarding the GeForce 8600 (G84) of having a 256-bit memory interface is incorrect. We are able to confirm at this point of time that GeForce 8600 series will be 128-bit and has 256MB GDDR3 memories onboard. Onto the rumours, We heard there are 2 versions; 8600GT and 8600GS clocked at 650/1800MHz and 550/1400MHz respectively for core and memories. Both come with 64 shader processors.

http://sg.vr-zone.com/?i=4498

Well that sucks. Too bad nVidia keeps sticking with crappy a 128bit memory bus for its mid-high range products.

I was hoping it would have a 256bit interface... guess I won't be buying it anymore.

LOL I love how you guys are making a decision not to buy a RUMORED video card without any proof of its real gaming performance

Come on now

It could be that the card pictured may conform to the PCIe 2.0 specs if some of them aren't coming out until Q3 07. The PCIe 2.0 spec allows for higher power through the PCIe slot, so you wouldn't need an external connector.

LOL I love how you guys are making a decision not to buy a RUMORED video card without any proof of its real gaming performance

Come on now

lol, yea. For a midrange card, a 128-bit bus is perfectly fine. I'm not sure why some people are putting all their opinions in this one spec. Since when is just one single aspect of a GPU a determinate of it's performance, and price/performance ratio, for that matter.

$179...that's about $80 less than when the Geforce 7600GT debuted. And you're getting performance on the level of a 7950GT (well, rumored to be).

Sure, things can change, but I wouldn't doubt another mid-range king in the 8600 family.

Come on now

I have to agree here.

I bought a Radeon X1650XT during my recent upgrade for three reasons: 1.) Someone bought my GeForce 6800 GS for their Frankenstein'ed computer (which also allowed me to move onto something more current), 2.) I have a rather small (relatively speaking) 17" LCD, so moving on to a Nvidia 8800 card doesn't make sense at all for DX9 gaming, and my games play just as well if not somewhat better than my last card, and 3.) Spending tons of money on a graphics card that may or may not play well under DX10 with no competitive products from another company and no budget-conscience version to use as comparison to show how much better the top-of-the-line product is (and don't tell me that the 8800 GTS is a budget version of a 8800 GTX; they're both frickin' expensive and first-gen components with no comparable products), it's a costly gamble at best and a bad decision at worst.

For all we know, Nvidia could be completely aced by ATI/AMD when they release their DX10 product, thus making what looked like a great investment in an Nvidia 8800 GPU seem like a waste of money, or the budget-minded products could deliver most of the performance at a fraction of the price. I don't like getting burned by making a premature decision, so I am more than willing to wait a few months to see what ATI's response is, what other cards roll out from Nvidia, and how they all perform with DX10 games and Vista.

Come on now

Haha yeah. If the gaming performance is there then ill be defenitely getting it as im looking for a $200 or less card for my spring build.

The 7600GT is the same way, 128bit bus and 256mb of ram and look how good that card does. Compares to around a X800XT I believe. My friend has 2 in SLI and it does everything perfectly fine for a 1280x1024 resolution. Im sure with those 64 shaders that its rumored to have it should be beastly enough.

but I think what they are saying is because of DX10's advances, the 8600 should play DX10 games at a comparable 7600GT DX9 fps rate.

I'll stick with the DX9 cards then, x1950 or nvidia 7900/7950 cards if this is the case, because by the time any dx10 exclusive titles come out the 8800 will much more affordable and probably not on the top of the mountain.

I just wished the future comes today:p

I don't like the Idea of the Ultra coming out end summer/fall.

my last three cards have been sixes: 4600 6600 7600 ... no reason to stop the trend now...

i'll wait till someone will sell me a 8600 for 70-80 bucks in the fs forum like my 7600....;)

man it pays big time to be one step behind with everything... :p

mal

Didn't they have a 6600Ultra with dual 6600 cores toward the end of the 6 series life? I think they might have one at our local PC Club.

Wonder when the first main stream 8 series Dual Core cards will come out?

Dual graphic cores sounds like one gay idea, but w/e. I'm worried about the non-existent PCie power. I've got a 7600GT, and there are only two things that piss me off about it. the 128-bit memory interface and there's no damn PCIe graphics power on it, so my GPU can do around 650mhz, but the fucking lack of power won't let me run it without artifacts.

Dual graphic cores sounds like one gay idea, but w/e. I'm worried about the non-existent PCie power. I've got a 7600GT, and there are only two things that piss me off about it. the 128-bit memory interface and there's no damn PCIe graphics power on it, so my GPU can do around 650mhz, but the fucking lack of power won't let me run it without artifacts.

umm ok, well your the one that bought the 7600GT. A mid range card... so don’t get mad about the 128bit memory, you get what you pay for.

and what makes you so sure that a power plug would remove the artifacts at 650mhz? if you wanted the extra performance and it is that crucial that you get it that you can be pissed off by it, the you should not have bought a lowly mid range card.

Nothing in overclocking is guaranteed. It runs at Nv specs right? Then It dose exactly what is sospouse to do!

umm ok, well your the one that bought the 7600GT. A mid range card... so don’t get mad about the 128bit memory, you get what you pay for.

and what makes you so sure that a power plug would remove the artifacts at 650mhz? if you wanted the extra performance and it is that crucial that you get it that you can be pissed off by it, the you should not have bought a lowly mid range card.

Nothing in overclocking is guaranteed. It runs at Nv specs right? Then It dose exactly what is sospouse to do!

if you've done any kind of research, about 5 months befor the 7600GT came out, there was the 6800GS. 6800GS ran just as fast as the 7600GT, or a little slower stock, but was based on the 7800 PCB. That, with the extra power plug, was able to overclock to score somewhere around 7000 on 3dmark 05. With a bios flash, you could have the card running volt modded and score around 8000 on 3dmark05, whereas the 7600GT lacks the PCIe power plug. You tell me why I'm artifacting and lagging like a motherfucker when I'm at those clocks. I manage to score lower on 3dmark 05 when I overclock that when I'm at stock. Don't be so quick to start refuting what I'm saying when you haven't done any kind of research. i'm not the only one to have received this problem. 7600GT is just known to be power-starved. my 7600GT does around 6500 marks on 3dmark05 stock with the setup I have below (but CPU down to 4.08Ghz). It manages to do 5500 marks overclocked. Out of all the cards on 3dmark, I managed to scale to some of the slowest systems.

yeah, i bought it, but it's just something that doesn't sit very well with me. and it's just a warning for other people. The 128-bit bus just sucks. the 6800GS, which was an old card, can manage to overtake my 7600GT due to the overclocking ability, sufficient power, and 256-bit bus.

I am hoping for a single slot DX 10 card. The 8600 Ultra looks to be it, especially if it comes in a 512 mb variety. Two of those in sli will be awesome!!

I am hoping for a single slot DX 10 card. The 8600 Ultra looks to be it, especially if it comes in a 512 mb variety. Two of those in sli will be awesome!!

Just go water cooled. You can then have two 8800GTX's in SLI and still have all your expansion slots available. :D

Came to this forum for some good news. I am still riding on AGP so I will not be upgrading until the 8600U comes out. I most certainly hope it comes out before Summer. If it does not come out until Fall, this is a huge bummer. And if that is the case, this G80 may be around for two years.

Came to this forum for some good news. I am still riding on AGP so I will not be upgrading until the 8600U comes out. I most certainly hope it comes out before Summer. If it does not come out until Fall, this is a huge bummer. And if that is the case, this G80 may be around for two years.

I'm so with you, while I'm not planing a major upgrade till fall. As I see it though Vista is out and DX10 isn't far behind, so a 86U would be a nice hold over and would go into my next system when I do upgrade. Only thing thats got me worried is PCIe 2.0 which might make the wait till fall worth it.

Damn - that 8600Ultra at that price sure would be sweet if it comes out in the next month or so. That's the card I've been waiting on. ....Drool..... Late summer release wouldn't be as good though.

if you've done any kind of research, about 5 months befor the 7600GT came out, there was the 6800GS. 6800GS ran just as fast as the 7600GT, or a little slower stock, but was based on the 7800 PCB. That, with the extra power plug, was able to overclock to score somewhere around 7000 on 3dmark 05. With a bios flash, you could have the card running volt modded and score around 8000 on 3dmark05, whereas the 7600GT lacks the PCIe power plug. You tell me why I'm artifacting and lagging like a motherfucker when I'm at those clocks. I manage to score lower on 3dmark 05 when I overclock that when I'm at stock. Don't be so quick to start refuting what I'm saying when you haven't done any kind of research. i'm not the only one to have received this problem. 7600GT is just known to be power-starved. my 7600GT does around 6500 marks on 3dmark05 stock with the setup I have below (but CPU down to 4.08Ghz). It manages to do 5500 marks overclocked. Out of all the cards on 3dmark, I managed to scale to some of the slowest systems.

yeah, i bought it, but it's just something that doesn't sit very well with me. and it's just a warning for other people. The 128-bit bus just sucks. the 6800GS, which was an old card, can manage to overtake my 7600GT due to the overclocking ability, sufficient power, and 256-bit bus.

Is that surprising? You're comparing a 6800 series that's overboosted to a 7600 series. The performance should be about equal, because you're talking previous gen high-end to current gen midrange. Now, if you factor in the overclocks, you get even better performance. How did you even think it was going to be an upgrade going from 6800 to 7600??

Edit: ...and I agree with the other poster that what you get is stock. No one will guarantee you an overclock unless you buy a pre-overclocked card. That is simply NOT something you should expect... but rather hope for.

Back