GFWL and Windows 7 ??

{EB}NuTSymPToM{EB}

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi All,

I have been dual booting Windows XP and Windows 7 since the beta and just recently moved my games over to Windows 7. Everything seemed to be going fine but I just got GTA IV from the Steam sale and discovered I can't connect to GFWL.

I rebooted into XP and I can connect without any problems so I know it's not the router. I've poured over tons of threads and support documentation from Windows and nothing has fixed the issue so far. When it fails to connect you can check your internet settings and it shows my IP address and UPnP as unassigned. It seems I'm not the only one with these issues from what I've read but no solutions seems to work.

Anyone out there got GFWL working fine in Windows 7 64 bit? Did you have to do any tweaking of any kind to get it working? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi All,

I have been dual booting Windows XP and Windows 7 since the beta and just recently moved my games over to Windows 7. Everything seemed to be going fine but I just got GTA IV from the Steam sale and discovered I can't connect to GFWL.

I rebooted into XP and I can connect without any problems so I know it's not the router. I've poured over tons of threads and support documentation from Windows and nothing has fixed the issue so far. When it fails to connect you can check your internet settings and it shows my IP address and UPnP as unassigned. It seems I'm not the only one with these issues from what I've read but no solutions seems to work.

Anyone out there got GFWL working fine in Windows 7 64 bit? Did you have to do any tweaking of any kind to get it working? Any help would be appreciated.

Works fine for me. No tricks. When I cleanly installed Windows 7 64, I simply downloaded GFWL directly from MS, installed it, punched in my info, and that was it.

I'm going to try totally uninstalling the games that use GWFL and the client and start by installing the client first. I can connect to the out of game client just fine but for whatever reason it can't connect in game when I press HOME.

Funny thing is my internet connection actually drops temporarily when it tries to connect, fails, then reconnects. Asus doesn't have any Windows 7 LAN drivers available for my motherboard so I'm a bit worried that the default driver that Windows selected might not be working although everything else with the system is flawless.

Try the Vista LAN drivers for your motherboard and see it that helps.

That's odd; I have no problems with GFWL in Windows 7 64, on two different PCs. No tweaking whatsoever... sorry to not be of much help. :confused:

I'm running Win7 Ultimate x64, and have no issues. It installed with GTA:IV, had no issues working with Batman. That said, I hate it when I'm having an uncommon issue. You're mad as hell, and everyone else thinks you're nuts. Good luck.

Sadly, Asus doesn't list any LAN drivers for Vista either, only XP.

Of course, everything works fine in XP but I'm not about to buy a new motherboard just to get it to work. I guess I'll have to suck it up and not play any GWFL games in Windows 7 for now.

For any of you people with GWFL working in 7, do you have manufacturer provided drivers for networking or was it auto-loaded when you installed 7?

Of course, everything works fine in XP but I'm not about to buy a new motherboard just to get it to work. I guess I'll have to suck it up and not play any GWFL games in Windows 7 for now.

For any of you people with GWFL working in 7, do you have manufacturer provided drivers for networking or was it auto-loaded when you installed 7?

Try these: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_win7_64bit_15.35.html

Auto loaded and then there was a Marvell update that came through for me through Windows Update when I finished installing Windows 7.

After that, all I did was go here:
http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/index.aspx

^^ All I did was download the client from there, let it take care of itself, and that was that.

Thanks Derangel, installing those now.

I also found a thread suggesting someone download http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverDisplay.do?driverId=207

Bear in mind I know jack shit about network drivers but as far as I (and google) can tell both nVidia and Marvell are used for the network ports... I have no idea if I should install one or the other or both. I'd like to avoid totally wrecking my 7 install and breaking all the games that do work already.

Seems the nVidia drivers didn't help my situation. I may reinstall Win7 and see if that fixes whatever is going on.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and I am not having any issues with GFWL.

I just upgraded to win7 64 last weekend and it seems to me one of the updates found by Windows Update was for GFWL. You might check and see if there are any updates available for the service before uninstalling and reinstalling everything.

I hope that POS called GFWL will die soon - I hate it.

Last edited:
For those that have GFWL working, how is your file structure set up?

I have a small partition just for Windows. I then have a separate partition for games and a final partition for media. I wonder could it matter at all that the GWFL software is installed on the 7 partition separate from the games? Maybe something weird with UAC won't let GWFL communicate with files on another partition?

+1

I hope that POS called GFWL will die soon - I hate it.

Why? Related to that, why'd you plus one? lol

Anyway, I haven't had any issues with GFWL on my 7/64-bit installs, but I have my games on the same partition as the rest of my programs and OS.

Why? Related to that, why'd you plus one? lol

Anyway, I haven't had any issues with GFWL on my 7/64-bit installs, but I have my games on the same partition as the rest of my programs and OS.

ooops, I was typing 2 messages at different forums and I mixed them.

I hate GFWL because I live in one of those "unsupported countries" and when I got my first game which demanded GFWL I had tons of problems with it.

lol yeah I can see where you're coming from on the localization issues, Steam gives me fits because I live on Guam. Breaks my heart when there are sick deals for games they won't distribute to my area. I blame Australia for being nearby. lmao

i had the same problem, It was my firewall on my win7 box.

Disable the firewall it should work fine. (Better yet just create rules for it : D )

Excluding localization problems I dont know why people have such a hate for GFWL lol
It always works fine for me, and lets me bug my brother who loves to play on his 360.

My only complaint with GFWl is that it does the patching, not steam when you buy the game over steam.

The only problems Ive encountered with it was when a friend called me over to try and help him fix it cause he couldnt play batman: AA, turns out he had a pirated copy so i told him nothing I could do to help lol.

I can't get over how weird GFWL is.

It works perfectly fine on my XP partition.
The client connects outside of games.
I can play every other game fine in 7.

When it tries to connect in-game my internet connection drops and reconnects as soon as I get the failure message. I'm no programmer but GFWL should not have the capability to kick me offline.

I guess I'll just keep an eye out for the next GFWL patch and see what happens. Until then I'll have to avoid buying GFWL games. I hope none of the stuff I'm looking forward to requires it outside of the DoW2 expansion.

Back