Ghetto fabulous HD4870 cooling!

JaYp146

Supreme [H]ardness
So I purchased a used HD4870 here on the forums. Plugged it in only to discover that it idled at around 77C. :(

I've never been a fan of the rear exhaust coolers from ATi, so I thought I'd take matters into my own hands ... by removing the plastic airflow shroud and instead zip-tying a Yate Loon D12SL-12 120mm fan to the card! I kept the original fan intact because of how hot the VRMs reportedly run without active cooling (100C+).

Before (stock picture from Google Images):

After:

The result? An immediate drop in temperatures. My new average idle temperature is 58C, depending heavily on ambient temps (the weather's been crazy here lately). VRMs remain cool with the stock cooler's fan directly above them, rotating at a near silent ~950 RPM. Keeping the stock heat spreader also helps cool the VRAM (the airflow from the Yate Loon fan certainly helps).

Case ambient temperatures have decreased 3C (probably due to the sensor's proximity to the card), CPU temps haven't been affected much.

All in all, I'd say it was an easy (and extremely cost efficient) upgrade in cooling the blast furnace that is the HD4870.

If you really want to get your idle temps down, then use RBE or ATT to tweak your 2D settings and you can get them even lower.
I assume you locked the stock fan to the lowest RPM possible?

Although, load temps should be what you're concerned with.

I tried this on an HD4850, idle temps went down about 12c, load temps went UPPPP about 5-6c

My load temps are at ~80C max. Keep in mind that ~77C was my average IDLE temp prior to this mod.

If you really want to get your idle temps down, then use RBE or ATT to tweak your 2D settings and you can get them even lower.
I assume you locked the stock fan to the lowest RPM possible?

Although, load temps should be what you're concerned with.

It's automatically at the lowest possible, yes. I've stuck with the original BIOS and CCC, haven't modified anything. Under load the stock fan speed hits about 30% (barely audible).

It's automatically at the lowest possible, yes. I've stuck with the original BIOS and CCC, haven't modified anything. Under load the stock fan speed hits about 30% (barely audible).
You can usually cut up to another 10C off your idle temps by fixing the PowerPlay settings.

I don't think any of the stock bioses will run at the lowest possible by default.

It's based on GPU temperature. It spins at around 900 RPM at idle because idle temps are low.

You can usually cut up to another 10C off your idle temps by fixing the PowerPlay settings.

Okay well I honestly haven't played with Catalyst much. I've primarily used nVidia cards since 2002 and have practically zero experience with any fan profiles or PowerPlay. Regardless, I've shaved about 15C off load temps with the mod with barely any discernible fan noise; what I do hear is a hum (Yate Loon) as opposed to a intermittent loud whoosh.

How do you do this?

I did it on my 4850's using ATIWinflash to get the BIOS's from the cards. I then use Radeon BIOS Editor to make my fan settings more optimal and to drop the 2D clocks down to 160/500. (might could be lower?) If you're really adventurous, you could try to minimize voltages at 2D/3D settings as well.

It's very quick and easy to do and you can find guides if you do a quick google search.

So, this is better than increasing the stock fan speed... how?

Back when I had my 512MB 4870 i was idling 80C, load 95C. Then i upped the fan speed in CCC to 36% and my temps dropped to 48C idle and 60C load.

I dont know why people are always fooling around with their 4870's. The stock fan works fantastic. You just have to up the speed a little bit.

So, this is better than increasing the stock fan speed... how?

Back when I had my 512MB 4870 i was idling 80C, load 95C. Then i upped the fan speed in CCC to 36% and my temps dropped to 48C idle and 60C load.

I dont know why people are always fooling around with their 4870's. The stock fan works fantastic. You just have to up the speed a little bit.

I just don't like the extra fan noise (ie. "whooshing" noise). I may end up reattaching the shroud after all, just wanted to experiment with the 120mm fan.

That's pretty neat. I might have to do that since I have a spare Yate Loon sitting around.

that is pretty smart. the heatsink is good but the stock fan is terrible.
im interested in how you got the plastic off and where you zip tied the fan too

that is pretty smart. the heatsink is good but the stock fan is terrible.
im interested in how you got the plastic off and where you zip tied the fan too

I was wondering the same thing. I didn't see zip ties in the pic.

Mine idles around 44c @ 12% fan speed with the stock ref fan.
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5227/idle4870.jpg

... How is that possible? Mine idles at 77C while at ~27% fan speed (ATi stock default speed). Case internal temperature is around 28C.

EDIT - I'm guessing yours in 2D mode, or have you underclocked it somehow?

I was wondering the same thing. I didn't see zip ties in the pic.

I didn't take any pictures after I attached the fan with zipties. Originally planned to but was then interrupted by a phone call.

... How is that possible?
It's possible by reading the thread.
I already told you, you can use RBE or ATT (ATT in that picture) to tweak the 2D settings. The "1.083v" is the key point of that screenshot.

I'm using the same settings on mine, 35C idle.
But my 4870 isn't reference.

Back