Ghetto Systems! Post Yours!

haadij404

2[H]4U
Yep, as the title implies lets hear what you got. (LETS SEE SOME PICS)

Well for me, my motherboard has 5.1 integrated surround sound, but i dont have a full on 5.1 surround sound system. but i do have altec lansing speakers (four of them + plus a little woofer) which are stereo. I also have a sony mini hi fi system that i have connected to my tv and other components. And some older altec lansing speakers that were lying around. so after messing around for a bit i decided to set these up as 5.1. So for the 4 altec lansing speakers, they are the front speakers. the old altecs, i took one and made it my center. then i took my sony hifi and made that my rear speakers. Since the sony and altec have subs, its an incredibly rich sound considering the mixing and matching of the speakers. its really fun playing counter strike source - you can hear everything from every angle and watching DVDs is soo much nicer. i cant explain. so yeah, i took three seperate systems and hooked em all too to my computer and i now have a ghetto 5.1 system. its great. - pics are posted later in thread.

well thats MY ghetto system. what about you?

I'll bite. My setup consists of just a set of creative inspire p5800's hooked up to my Audigy 2ZS. That's it. :p Not very ghetto but i'm working on it.

LOL

Im using some old sony bookshelf speakers connected to some OLD sony amp must be like out of the 80's. input is from onboard AC '97 from my computer.

GIVE ME SOME MONEY :p
ghetto.jpg

Foobar2000 through ASIO going to M-Audio Revolution 5.1 as a source, then to a MisterX M^3 with STEPS (OPA627/637), and finally to my Beyerdynamic DT880s.

Soon to order: Audio-Technica ATH-W5000

Not at all. I thought ghetto was just another way of saying "cool".

Sorry to disappoint, guess I should post some pics next time with a digital camera.

no I think ghetto means poor or cheap somethin like that.. So you cant post setups more than $400 I guess hehe
I only got Klipsch 2.1 and an Audigy 2 ZS Plat... now you can consider it ghetto since theres more better than this setup heh
And are those Polk 30s azn dude? they are pretty huge... I thot they are slim er

lol, yes they are, and it's probably the picture's angle.... here let me give you another one.... that is a sony 20" BTW just to compare the size...

here ya go :)

aZn_plyR said:
lol, yes they are, and it's probably the picture's angle.... here let me give you another one.... that is a sony 20" BTW just to compare the size...

here ya go :)

Now, if only you had a 60" TV to go with it. :)

Still fat man.. I dunno maybe its my eyes.. because the ones at Frys looks like chicks that works out a lot(slim)

no ghetto here, just vintage.

no pics really though
main rig:
Yamaha A-720 (300w integrated amp from the early 80's)
B&W DM220 mains
dbx DX-5 cd player

PC rig:
Harman Kardon AVR-55 (not really that old)
Technics SL-P350 cd player
Yamaha KX-200U Cassette Deck
Realistic 10 band EQ
Advent Legacy 8" model

yep i got some pics of my ghetto rig. here it is.

and these are my rears, i have yet to mount them on the wall.

but since one of them has blown (only noticable at high volumes) im getting these. only $82 shipped so not bad. they will work fine with my sony amp (on the right side of my desk)

stunna said:
What speakers are those?
and how do they sound?

They are Polk R30's which I bought at outpost.com / Fry's when they go on sale for around 90 bucks a pair. They sound pretty damn good for the money, great for music and movies when I need to bump it up. :D

damn $90 a pair. i might just get those. but my amp is 6 ohm. do you know what those operate at? they look real good to me, and Polk is a well respected audio company...let me know.

edit: nm, i did some research on them...they operate at 8 ohm. could i still use it on my 6 ohm amp? im pretty sure itll work but it wont sound good...any ideas?

How many watt is your amp? it should work fine, just won't pump out as much power as using 6 ohm speakers.

receiver.JPG

nuff said

EDIT: whoops accidently posted a 6 megapixel image the first time around...now we're good :D

aZn_plyR said:
How many watt is your amp? it should work fine, just won't pump out as much power as using 6 ohm speakers.

150w rms each channel. Yeah, im gonna check those out....

Eva_Unit_0 said:
nuff said

EDIT: whoops accidently posted a 6 megapixel image the first time around...now we're good :D

now that is a ghetto reciever. awesome! :p

biohazard_nz said:
LOL

Im using some old sony bookshelf speakers connected to some OLD sony amp must be like out of the 80's. input is from onboard AC '97 from my computer.

GIVE ME SOME MONEY :p

Yep...you need the money...that amp is out of the 70s', not 80's

haadij404 said:
damn $90 a pair. i might just get those. but my amp is 6 ohm. do you know what those operate at? they look real good to me, and Polk is a well respected audio company...let me know.

edit: nm, i did some research on them...they operate at 8 ohm. could i still use it on my 6 ohm amp? im pretty sure itll work but it wont sound good...any ideas?

Your fine.

If your amp is rated to drive 6 ohm loads, then 8 ohm speakers will be fine. Most amp's are rated to drive down to 4 ohms, and the esoteric can drive even 2 ohms or 1 ohm.

It's always safer and easier to drive a higher impedance speaker, it just won't be as loud as a lower impedance speaker (but thats largely dependant on speaker design and sensitivity as well).

1 recycled high quality aluminum beverage can linked with a 100% white cotton strand 6ft long to another recycled high quality aluminum beverage can. Both beverage cans are 1999 San Pellegrino Alloy 3104-H19.

I hope that's not too ghetto.

i guess i have to post something here as i have one of the most ghetto stereo setups i know.

ok, to start it off i have a chaintech AV-710 going to a jvc RX-6030V 500watt reciever over an optical cable. from there ive got athena AS-B1 bookshelf speakers for the 2 fronts. out of the reciever for the sub ive got the preout going to an old aiwa minisystem that ive done some modifications to so its now serving as a 200 watt amplifier, from that ghetto amp it goes to a alpine 10inch type E car sub in a home made box sitting under my desk. for rear speakers i just use the old front speakers from that aiwa mini system.

and now for the pictures:

first off here is the desk with my athena's and my dell p1130 21 inch crt monitor.

P2090044Large.jpg

then next we go to the reciever and amp.

P4230329Large.jpg

and finally here is a shot of the sub, you can see where it sits in the first picture.

P1010079Large.jpg

for what its worth the system doesnt sound all that bad.

make that sub box yourself? Man that looks neat... Dang I never knew those Athena's looks so bling bling heheh :D

yeah i made the box myself. originally it was going to go into my car but to to space constraints i decided to make myself a new smaller box instead. the box didnt really take all that much time to make, expescially as i had a brand new mitre saw to play with.

BBA said:
Your fine.

If your amp is rated to drive 6 ohm loads, then 8 ohm speakers will be fine. Most amp's are rated to drive down to 4 ohms, and the esoteric can drive even 2 ohms or 1 ohm.

It's always safer and easier to drive a higher impedance speaker, it just won't be as loud as a lower impedance speaker (but thats largely dependant on speaker design and sensitivity as well).

Thanks, I appreciate it. You have allayed my fears. I think im gonna go ahead and buy those polks...it should be better then my other choice.

When I borrow my buddies camera tonight i'll show you guys a rig up. Almost like the guy aboves, but less clean. I'm using 2 RF punch z's (cheapest lineup RF makes) in a sealed box powered by my MTX 6152 2channel amp. The 12V line is plugged in to the main power along with the remote (since the remote is 12v). I use an old computer powersupply to power it all but I don't know how I could rig a switch to make it more compact. I'll show you guys tonight, you'll laugh :). It works and actually sounds damn good. All I have right now is my camera phone so you couldn't really make out everything all too well.

lol crap sorry man. I didn't get the camera :(. Maybe i'll just zoom in with my camera phone right now. Give me a few minutes.

Back