Gig!

mattt

n00b
On sunday i'm taking pictures of my mate's gig..it's going to be inside with the normal lights you'd expect etc! I'm kind of new to photography so i'm just getting used to all the settings etc, does anyone know what the best settings would be to use on a canon 400D?

Thanks, matt

depends on what lenses you are using......showup an hour early and take some shots, find out where you can get good shots from....ask if they can put the lighting to how it will be during the show, etc.

What kind of lenses?
If it's the kit lens, you'll probably need to be wide open at ISO1600.
If you can, shoot RAW and you can push the exposure maybe 1-1.5 stops in Photoshop.

sorry, i thought i had edited it to say what lens and i'm using...but yea i'm using the 18-55mm kit lens

I would say you will end up having to go to ISO 1600. The kit lens is just too slow at lower light levels one can expect to find during most music performances. With all the movement of the band players and the crowd, you can easily underexpose or end up with too motion blur.

Also you want your f-stop all the way open. While you lose some depth of field, you most likely wont be close enough that it matters much. If you have a flash, I suggest you get an omnibounce for it. Then the flash wont effect them while they are playing. Or you can improvise a bounce using a piece of photopaper or, white paper. You measue in 3 inches and, then draw a line to the corners. This is done in lenght wise ofcourse. Then you use a rubberband to secure it. The flash head has to be tilted full up ofcourse.

Back