Giga NIC card not running at speed?

linjy2

Limp Gawd
i bought a intel pro 1000 pt but it is only connecting at 100Mbps instead of 1Gbps.

What am i doing wrong? i pulled the driver straight off intel's website and then got another update through windows update.

this is a pci-express version i bought for my windows home server build. i have the d-link dir-655 draft n router. my main computer with the nvidia lan connects at 1Gbps.

I have read that using a network with mixed devices (100mb and gigabit) will cause all to default to 100mb speed on some routers. Do you have any devices that are 100mb only?

hmm...didnt know that. yes i have 2 other computers running at 100mb only. but my main computer shows the 1gb speed, although i didnt test if it actually tranfer at that speed.

Try unplugging all the 100mb devices and reseting your router to see if it shows up at 1000mb. The problem doesn't show up in all switches, it was a while ago (6 months?) when I read an article on it, so it maybe fixed by now. You could also try a firmware update for your router.

yeah i didnt think of resetting the router, will try that now.

i just put the intel card in my main comp and it connects at 1gbps speed. hmm...

yeah i didnt think of resetting the router, will try that now.

i just put the intel card in my main comp and it connects at 1gbps speed. hmm...

WHS may actually test the speed with the router. Also what drivers did you download? As far as I know WHS is built off Server 2003 and those are the drivers you are supposed to use.

well my router is up to date firmware wise. i just unplugged it and replug, nothing changed.

i dled the server 2003 driver. they didnt have an option for windows home server driver.

anyways i plugged the card back into the WHS and its back at 100mbps. i built the WHS off a compaq desktop with their proprietary ecs motherboard if that makes a difference. the board shouldnt restrict the speed i dont think.

Have you tried forcing the card to 1000mb in the settings? I'm not sure how to do it in WHS but in xp its network connections > right click the connection > click configure > advanced tab > speed/duplex settings > drop down tab on the side has the settings you want to change > apply.

was on auto, switched it to 1000mb and it doesn't detect internet connection. switched it back to auto again.

i think i give up. 100mb is still plenty fast i guess, but i could had just saved the money and bought a 10/100 nic instead of a 10/100/1000 nic.

was on auto, switched it to 1000mb and it doesn't detect internet connection. switched it back to auto again.

i think i give up. 100mb is still plenty fast i guess, but i could had just saved the money and bought a 10/100 nic instead of a 10/100/1000 nic.

You could try hooking the server directly up to the pc to see if you get 1000mb connection since the pc shows up as that.

Back