Gigabyte 6800gs or Sapphire x800GTO2?

Yea. I know theres a lotta these threads, but i was just wondering which one would b better in performance once both r oc'ed and the gto2 is unlock to 16pl and oc'ed to a x850pe?

The price difference is negligible.
6800gs is 200 and gto2 is also like 200 so yea.

my x800gto2 after unlocking did about 5500 3dmark 03 with a amd64 2.2gig
my xfx 6800gs outta the box with this intel @ 3.5 does 5965

2k3 gto2 @ x850xt 12,965
6800gs 13,061 if i rember right.

the 6800gs has options the gto2 didnt. a real x850xt is under $250 (i had 3 gto2's 1 did xt speeds not xt-pe, and 2 wouldnt to xt speeds but the did better than xl's) take your chances.

i like the digital vibrance option in nvidia's drivers. and coolbits overclocking. great warrenties

for ati i like ati tool and the draw distance is better. 1 year bbati or 2 year partner warrenty. thats lame.

i sold my last gto2 and bought a real xt, sold that and got this gs. i like the gs better.

if you do go with a gto2 let me know, i got a arctic cooler for sale pretty cheap. $30 shipped

man i'm still like split now between them! WHICH ONE'S BETTER! AHHHH! Or how about more bang for the buck? I looked on yahoo and some ppl say that the gto is way way faster and some ppl say the gs is better.... Thanks for the help though. CONTINUE THE ADVICE PLZ!

well bascally, which one is better is a thing of preference. they perform basically the same in real world use. so it comes down to brand preference, features, drivers etc. one thing i will point out that nvidia has going for them on this one, purevideo. its really great, my dvd's and other supported video files have never looked better on my pc.

x1600XT

328_20051124143327829.jpg

honestly, you'll probably be very happy with either. Also, might check out the Connect3D X800gto, it also unlocks to 16 pipes, and overclocks well, see my sig. And its pretty cheap, I got mine for ~$150 AR.

i was thinking about the c3d but then i realized i might as well get the gto2 for 50 more since it ocs so much higher and the x1600xt doesn't look to good compared to the gs, fps is a lot lower like 10 and like the card isn't THAT much cheaper. So decisions still inconclusive. More advice?

Well, is this going to be a single video card system? Are you okay with the fact that one has Shader Model 3.0 support and the other one doesn't (since ATI supports SM 3.0 in their X1000 series, it's more than likely game developers will support that wholly rather than wasting time on programming for older versions this coming year)? Are you okay with the idea that the X800 GTO series needs to have it's warranty voided in order to make it work as well as something that costs just as much from the nVidia camp (when I say that, I speak in the world where people play games and want to see good visual quality and decent frame rates... 3D Mark scores are pointless if you ask me...)?

If you said "Yes" to all of the above three questions, then you should be fine with either card. If you said "No" to any one, then might I suggest the 6800 GS. The XFX and the Leadtek cards are stock overclocked, cost the same, work in SLI, and support the latest SM. Or, you could go with the reference 6800 GS from EVGA and buy into the Step-Up program, and spend a few bucks down the road and get a much better video card (perhaps a 7800 series).

Good luck with your decision.

yojimbo said:
Well, is this going to be a single video card system? Are you okay with the fact that one has Shader Model 3.0 support and the other one doesn't (since ATI supports SM 3.0 in their X1000 series, it's more than likely game developers will support that wholly rather than wasting time on programming for older versions this coming year)? Are you okay with the idea that the X800 GTO series needs to have it's warranty voided in order to make it work as well as something that costs just as much from the nVidia camp (when I say that, I speak in the world where people play games and want to see good visual quality and decent frame rates... 3D Mark scores are pointless if you ask me...)?

To tell u the truth i don't really care how well benchmark scores r. Its all about how well the graphics card handles gaming like bf2, cod2, q4, and any other games within the next couple years, because i could just upgrade every summer or something. So i lose less. :)

themanwithnoname said:
Pssh why would i do that? I might as well spend 500 dollars on the top of the line card and OC THAT?!

Because it's only $50 more for a much better card, the eVGA 7800GT is like the best card for the money out right now, just before you start getting diminishing returns.

0V3RC10CK3D said:
Because it's only $50 more for a much better card, the eVGA 7800GT is like the best card for the money out right now, just before you start getting diminishing returns.
Where is the 7800GT $250?

The 6800GS is $200 even, and the lowest price I've seen this week on the 7800GT is $293.

That's a 50% price increase going from the 6800GS to 7800GT.

damn i can decide between the two either....i thought that an unlocked, oc'ed x800gto2 would destroy a 6800gs, i guess not....

yes the 7800gt is the best deal. the 6800gs is a fine card, they will run with an ultra once you clock them. the gto2 is the same way. i ran mine and was happy with the performance, i bought ti when they first hit @ $199 and sold for more because i was offered. to be honest i liked my 6800gs better. thats just me though. either card will perform the same but sm3 gives you a few nice eyecandy features in games like aoe3 and some upcoming titles.

I've decided to buy a 6800gs. I mean i guess it doesn't really matter between this and the gto2 since they run similarly but has shader 3 too. I currently use a 9600xt so i thought it might b good to switch brands and c how nvidias run. Thanks for the help guys.

BTW i'm wondering which one is better a Gigabyte 6800gs, EVGA, XFX, (out of stock are MSI and Leadtek.)

mrbigshot

ur 6800gs does almost 6k in 3dmark ? thats funny cause my buddies 6800ultra overclocked with a 3.4 topped out at 5700......

o and my gto2 just hit 7.1k ...........clocks to 600/600 on stock cooling, ive bought installed and modded 4 of them all of which have clocked to xtpe at the BARE minimum.

gonna go ahead and buy the xfx one cuz its only 5 more and it comes w/ farcry + it runs higher than the other brands.

alright i pulled the trigger on the xfx 6800gs LITE retail though. I was thinking about getting it from newegg but then i realized i could buy it for like 15 cheaper from monarch cuz i'm not charged tax by them. so total was like 213. Which wasn't too bad. :) can't wait until i get it! BF2 at max settings!! O SNAP! THANKS A LOT for the advice guys! :D

timske said:
mrbigshot

ur 6800gs does almost 6k in 3dmark ? thats funny cause my buddies 6800ultra overclocked with a 3.4 topped out at 5700......
He must have some crappy CPU or 256MB of RAM or something. I was able to get my 6800GS at well over 6k.

kumquat said:
He must have some crappy CPU or 256MB of RAM or something. I was able to get my 6800GS at well over 6k.
which 6800GS do u hav?

N H O said:
which 6800GS do u hav?
The plain ol eVGA.

They all use the base reference design and same RAM, though. OC'ing ability should be manufacturer-independent on these.

Unoid said:
my 9600pro could do HDR, so I think the x800x can :)
I cant do FP16 HDR. Your probably thinking of the HDR in lost coast or DoD:S which is shader based.
timske said:
mrbigshot

I wouldn't dout him. These things overclock like crazy. Nearly 8k in '05 on air!

kumquat said:
The plain ol eVGA.

They all use the base reference design and same RAM, though. OC'ing ability should be manufacturer-independent on these.
ah i see and wats it clocked at?

which one of the xfx geforce 6800 GS are you guys taking about? from their website, they have two editions:

XFX GeForce 6800 GS 256 MB DDR3 XXX edition
XFX GeForce 6800 GS 256 MB DDR3 Extreme Edition

The only difference on them the XXX edition is clock higher. Suppose i get the Extreme Edition, couldnt i clock it to the XXX speed? Also cant seem to get a price listing anywhere for these two cards. I'm i missing something?

sumasage said:
which one of the xfx geforce 6800 GS are you guys taking about? from their website, they have two editions:

XFX GeForce 6800 GS 256 MB DDR3 XXX edition
XFX GeForce 6800 GS 256 MB DDR3 Extreme Edition

The only difference on them the XXX edition is clock higher. Suppose i get the Extreme Edition, couldnt i clock it to the XXX speed? Also cant seem to get a price listing anywhere for these two cards. I'm i missing something?
I have a regular eVGA and it's clocked significantly higher than the XXX edition XFX.

There's no difference between the actual cards. One just comes clocked higher from the factory.. it's nothing you can't do with Coolbits or RivaTuner or whatever.

yeh in that link they said they had to ln2 a 6800ultra to get those speeds crazy that the GS oc's so much better(supposed to be based on the 7800board ?), and that 8k was on a heavy voltmodded card running open air with a huge cooler in a room that was only 16c..... i dunno about u guys but 60 is not comfy.. nor do most cases stay at 16c .....nor do most people want to risk hardwiring thier precious vid card :p

those cards do clock really well with the volt modding though.

a simple bios flash, then overclock is much easier on a gto2 and im running 7.2k on the stock cooler, in a case, in a room thats 23c .....

regardless either cards are great buys, just think the gto2 is a lil more friendly for someone who doesnt have the skills to hardwire a card, or doesnt want to risk it.

timske said:
yeh in that link they said they had to ln2 a 6800ultra to get those speeds crazy that the GS oc's so much better(supposed to be based on the 7800board ?), and that 8k was on a heavy voltmodded card running open air with a huge cooler in a room that was only 16c..... i dunno about u guys but 60 is not comfy.. nor do most cases stay at 16c .....nor do most people want to risk hardwiring thier precious vid card :p

those cards do clock really well with the volt modding though.

a simple bios flash, then overclock is much easier on a gto2 and im running 7.2k on the stock cooler, in a case, in a room thats 23c .....

regardless either cards are great buys, just think the gto2 is a lil more friendly for someone who doesnt have the skills to hardwire a card, or doesnt want to risk it.
The GTO2 is more expensive, but it is a very nice card.

The 6800GS can get into the low to mid 6k range easy with stock everything.

kumquat said:
ah very nice man and is this on stock cooling? sorry for all the questions man but im still deciding between the XFX and the eVGA

my x800gt02 i have played with 3 of them and all have clcoked to at least 540/6xx and all have been stable, i have also owned a 6800 gt and i would say my x800's looked and felt much better then it.

N H O said:
ah very nice man and is this on stock cooling? sorry for all the questions man but im still deciding between the XFX and the eVGA
The XFX and eVGA are both identical. They are both the nVidia reference card with a different sticker on the fan.

The only difference is that the eVGA warranty is way better.

kumquat said:
The XFX and eVGA are both identical. They are both the nVidia reference card with a different sticker on the fan.

The only difference is that the eVGA warranty is way better.
ill be going with the eVGA then :D

Back