Gigabyte 965G-DS3 965P-D3 Chipset Temps

Yacko

n00b
I got a GA-965G-DS3 and the chipset is HOT. I brushed up against it and burned myself pretty good. Is everyone else's chipset heatsink this hot? Has anyone replaced the heatsink? or just continued to overclock?

Are those with the GA-965P-DS3's this hot as well?

A lot of people have been complaining how hat they get. I know there are few guys over at xtremesystems that are putting aftermarket coolers on them. So people say they got better overclocks with an aftermarket cooler some not. I pulled the heatsink off mine and replaced it with AS5 and will be watercooling it as soon as the barbs I need for my video card cooler comes.

yep
yep or hot melt glued a 40mm fan on it
yep but some complain it limits their overclock

The good news is that the heatsink is working well at soaking up heat but just needs some help getting rid if it.

I got the DQ6 and had to completely redo the heatpipe with AS ceramic, replace the pushpins with 4-40 nuts washers and screws and mount several 40mm fans because I watercooled and thus there is no airflow from a CPU fan/heatsink to cool the passive components/heatsinks around the cpu area. Dont forget the power FETS if you water cool the DS3, they will be a lot happier (read cooler, live longer) with some air on them somehow.

I'm with you there bro,

That stylish heatsink gets super toasty on mine as well. Maybe they made it flame shaped as a warning? ;)

With a little extra airflow nearby, things should get better. But I hesitate to overvolt the MCH with just the stock setup.

More cooling coming this week! :D

I have the DS3 and my chipset gets pretty warm as well. I've thought about putting a small fan on it or something like that. Doesn't seem to affect the performance of the machine though. I just got done with a dual prime 15 hour run with no errors.

Lyquist

I'm assembling mine tomorrow, ordered with a Jing Ting Chipset cooler. Saw this cooler mentioned on a few XS posts about cooling the NB. It might be over kill but meh.

EDIT: Ok got this on last night, and checked the SB heatsink. It had a pad on it but it didn't have that imprint so honestly it looked like it was getting insulated. Scraped that off and put some ceramique on it and reattached. Only problem is now my scythe ninja doesn't fit due to the jing ting. So now I'm waiting on a corsair nautilus 500. Never done water before so this is probably the best place to start.

What motherboard do you have? 965G or 965P DS3? Was the heatsink warm to the touch before you installed the cooler? or you didn't try it?

Thanks,

Back