Gigabyte 965P-DS3 wont post/boot + power cycling

sobe

Limp Gawd
I am building a computer with the following hardware:

Gigabyte 965P-DS3
Intel C2D E6400
OCZ DDR2 6400 2GB Ram Kit, part number OCZ2G8002GK (2.0v)
Sapphire x1950 Pro
FSP AX400-PN

After the first assembly, the machine would power on, fans spinning, HD/DVD both spin up, but nothing is ever displayed on the monitor. I checked all the usual suspects such as reseating cards, ram and cpu. When I tried to power it on again, it started a power cycle loop, but there was still no display. I removed the motherboard from the case and set it up on my desk and tried to boot it up, but it is still power cycling. I have read about problems with this board power cycling and about incompatibilities with ram but its all been from forum postings and I havent been able to figure out what information produced favorable results. Regarding POST error codes.. the Antec P180 case does not have a speaker, I pryed one out of an old case but appently it dosent work or the board isnt beeping at all.

Help?! :confused:

Update, the speaker is now working and it sounds 15-20 short rapid beeps.

OCZ needs 2.0v to work at its SPD timings.

DS3 default voltage is 1.8v on the first few BIOS's. By F4 I think they upped the default voltage to 2.1v to fix this problem. Try just using one stick sometimes the ram will get enough voltage with just one stick in.

Or you may need to go buy some cheap ram to boot up and flash to the latest F7 BIOS.

Thanks for the reply, I was certain it was a problem with the ram voltage so I bought some cheap 1.8v ram from BB to boot it up with and flash the bios. Rebuilding now.

OK, computer boots fine with 1.8v Kingston 533mhz ram, installed windows and all drivers, updated bios to F7. Put OCZ ram back in, same problem. Put kingston in and changed bios DDR2 voltage setting to +0.2v (1.8v + 0.2v = 2.0v) Put OCZ back in, same problem. Upped volts to +0.3, same problem. Any ideas?

Up your memory voltage to 2.2 or 2.3v. It might not be sending enough voltage.

Try your memory in another machine if you can. Memtest86 is the program to use, and if you can't. Contact the maker, and see if they will work with you......

I have a set of 2 GB OCZ RAM, Platinum Rev. 2 (OCZ2P800R22GK) and they worked fine even with BIOS F4 that my DS3 was shipped with.

I'll try upping the voltage higher when I get off work this afternoon, but I dont have another DDR2 platform to test these modules in :(

sobe said:
I'll try upping the voltage higher when I get off work this afternoon, but I dont have another DDR2 platform to test these modules in :(

It could be dead ram. Try one stick at a time..... if they still don't work.... I think its RMA time for the ram.

FYI, don't buy heavily overclocked ram. If it can't do its speed / timings at 1.8v.... its "overclocked" ram. I know almost all ddr2 800 is "overclocked" so pick the sticks with the lowest voltage. IE: not the 2.2-2.3v shit!

I picked the G.Skill ram that said it could do 4-4-4-12 @ 1.9v (not the HZ, one notch down), and its SPD is programmed to 5-5-5-15, just to be safe, so it should boot in nearly any board at default voltage at the looser timings.

chrisf6969 said:
It could be dead ram. Try one stick at a time..... if they still don't work.... I think its RMA time for the ram.

FYI, don't buy heavily overclocked ram. If it can't do its speed / timings at 1.8v.... its "overclocked" ram. I know almost all ddr2 800 is "overclocked" so pick the sticks with the lowest voltage. IE: not the 2.2-2.3v shit!

I picked the G.Skill ram that said it could do 4-4-4-12 @ 1.9v (not the HZ, one notch down), and its SPD is programmed to 5-5-5-15, just to be safe, so it should boot in nearly any board at default voltage at the looser timings.

On newegg there's not many modules listed that say "1.8v" most say "1.8v-2.0v" are those what I want to look at?

sobe said:
On newegg there's not many modules listed that say "1.8v" most say "1.8v-2.0v" are those what I want to look at?

yeah, that usually means they'll boot and work at the SPD timings at 1.8v, but if you want to overclock them or run them at the tighter timings you MIGHT need 1.9-2.0v

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Subcategory=147&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

I saw quite a few with 1.8

That G.Skill for $210 is decent stuff. And the timings aren't that important for Core 2 processors, so you don't need to worry about the 5-5-5 vs 4-4-4, etc.

Thanks for your help, if I cant get these modules to work over the weekend I'll return them on monday and buy those gskill modules.

Back