Gigabyte 965P-S3 IDE problem

reflex33

Limp Gawd
Ok so I have the system listed in my sig. with 2 SATA hard drives hooked up to the Intel ports, and 2 optical drives hooked up to the Gigabyte (JMicron) IDE port. I have read about all sorts of different problems with this JMicron port, so I'm not surprised that I have one of my own now.

I have Vista installed and whenever I insert a burned DVD (of anything... data, movie, game, etc.), the drive spins for a min. or so then disappears from Vista. Retail copies of any disk seem to work though. I can get it back and see the data on the burned disks if I go to device manager and force it scan for hardware changes, but I shouldn't have to do this every time I insert a disk. Now I have read some people saying to use Gigabytes drivers and others saying to use JMicrons drivers... I have tried both and neither did anything. I have tried all the different settings in the bios (AHCI vs. IDE vs. RAID/IDE modes) and made sure that the optical drive is good by testing it with another computer. The DVD drive has the latest firmware and drivers, and I have made sure to use the latest ICH8 drivers.

One option I know I have is to buy a SATA burner and just stop using the IDE port altogether, but I'm hoping someone here has a better idea. I'm concerned that if I go this route, I will use the 4 Intel ports up with the 2 HDs and 2 opticals and never have room for expansion since I'll be avoiding the JMicron ports.

So does anyone have any ideas of how to fix the problem... or if they know if the JMicron SATA ports behave better than the IDE port so if I switch to a SATA burner I will still have some expansion room for another HD?

Lol ya. Ive read more problems with the IDE driver on P965 boards than....I dont know what.

Anyways, you must not have done too much research but... Here is a link.

You wont be able to get the hacked/fixed drivers that are linked in it because the thread is about the DS3, not the S3. Anyways, theres alot of info on it. Maybe there is fixed drivers for the S3 as well. Just realize the thread is about the DS3 not the S3. Even though I think they are fairly the same.

LINK

Theres prolly the same similar stuff around this forum as well but....bleh, gotta look around.

Back