Gigabyte adds AMD version of BRIX barbone PC

Cbshahji

[H]ard|Gawd
Gigabyte will release new AMD based BRIX system GB-BXA8-5545

it has AMD Richland Processor A8-5545M 1.7G/ 2.7GHz CPU with Radeon HD 8510G.

may not be suitable for gaming, but if the price is about half of what intel based brix are they will make great media based PC. or for cheaper office solution.

that SoC allegedly has all 384 shaders enabled despite being branded an "A8", colour me interested.

Oh, now that makes it far more interesting. Me likey.

Eh, i am much more interested in the slightly larger brix form factor that they are showing off with the iris pro intel chip.

The box is only a little taller but it seems like it would have so much more potential.

I would love to see a desktop kaveri based system in a similar form factor as the iris pro box sometime early next year. That could have great potential to load with steamOS.

If only AMD would fix their APUs hardware acceleration with Silverlight to play back Netflix HD smoothly.

Wouldn't that be ms' problem with silverlight?

Pretty sure AMD just needs to make a driver to fix it. Intel and Nvidia work fine. Its been an issue since the first release of the APU, and probably before that on whatever their integrated GPUs were.

The performance on the Radeon HD 8510G is pretty pitiful. About on par w/ an Intel HD Graphics 4600 according to Notebookcheck. You'd be a lot better of w/ the new Brix Pro w/ an Iris Pro 5200 (double the 3Dmark score).

What's more interesting are the "Brix Gaming" units that Gigabyte was showing off at CES. They included a unit w/ a Richland A8-5557M and a Radeon R9 M275X (what Maingear is rebadging) and more interestingly, an i7-4702HQ + R9 M275X combo. There was also a pic of a hand-labeled prototype w/ a GTX 880M which would be pretty fantastic if the price ended up being anywhere near reasonable (doubtful based on how Nvidia prices their MXM boards).

OTOH, if you're just looking for something to do 1080p playback/HTPC duty, the Celeron 1037u Brix retails for $170 and would do the job. Intel also has a Bay Trail NUC (DN2810FYK) coming out this quarter w/ a $140 MSRP (and it has IR unlike the BRIX's).

on the other hand, the newly power-efficient kaveri architechture from AMD would be awesome in a brix device.

i only hope they use an APU with all 512 shaders enabled.

Pretty sure AMD just needs to make a driver to fix it. Intel and Nvidia work fine. Its been an issue since the first release of the APU, and probably before that on whatever their integrated GPUs were.

No it should be working. The problem back then was actually an issue with Silverlight not doing any hardware acceleration. It's possible that now with SL5 that he has a bug on his current driver, but this isn't a perpetual issue. I would also warn that it's support can vary heavily on the browser. I would suggest people try all three major browsers and see if acts any differently.

Back