Gigabyte DS3R Cpu Fan not spinning?!?!

Kong

Limp Gawd
Hello Guys,

I built a new rig about 6 months (thanks all for the help then), the first day I was having issues with CPU fan not spinning up, the MB would beeeep at me (I have the Fan Fail Warning enabled) and and I would have to flick the fan a few times to get it running, once it was running it would be fine but if the system went to sleep or shutdown on wake the CPU fan would not spin up. At this time, and I normally keep my PC on 24/7 (I work from home), I just turned off the sleep function.

Without going into all the details what I have discovered is that it appears to be the Smart FAN settings, in particular it is the allowing the BIOS to control the Fan that is the issue. I've gone to Legacy for Smart FAN and PWM for the control mode and it is working fine.

Is it possible that at cool temps the BIOS would NOT spin the CPU fan?!?! I have a hard time believing that. So the Fan Fail is beeping because it's on and the BIOS is not spinning the fan?

Other facts:
Rig - see specs plus 1 Sata HD, CD/DVD burner and Audigy card. Have the stock Intel HSF (I tried a different Intel HSF thinking the fan was bad but same behavior). I'm not OCing at this time. F5 Bios Version. Temps MB 45, CPU 25. I have a Rosewill case that has 120mm intake and exhaust fans.

Also, anyone else have the DS3R MB occasionally make a short chirp like sound, it happens a couple of times a day?

I do plan on OCing, what BIOS should I upgrade too.. or should I?

Back