Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 problems with HSF

jbweldon04

n00b
So, I wanted to buy a Zalman fan and heatsink for the Conroe E6600 I plan on buying in less than a month. Well, through forums around the internet I read that isn't possible because of the crazy cool plate on the back of the Motherboard.
I want to know if there is a good third party heatsink and fan out there that I can buy that will fit on the particular motherboard.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Its very easy to remove.

Per Gigabyte removing it will void your warranty.

Its just as easy to put it back on. ;)

I dont usually give such advice but this piece of marketing crap (the crazy cool rear heatsink, crazy is correct!) deserves this treatment.

IMO its a useless piece of junk that per Intel documentaion I have read there is absolutely no need for. The Conroes, even overclocked, will never put out enough heat to make it usefull and if the heat is coming off the bottom sufficent to require a heatsink there is something seriously wrong with the primary heatsink.

This is a great board but you need to know what you are doing when selecting memory, I strongly suggest you select memory that will run at 2.0 volts or less. Do a forum search on the DQ6 and read them.

If you plan to overclock I have a couple of posts about 2-3 months old detailing my simple but highly effective mods to the entire heatpipe assembly.

Enjoy. !!

You mention memory... what about the Ballistix sticks from Crucial? They run @ 2.2v (the DDR2 800Mhz). According to their website, they are compatible. I was thinking about buying these to put in my DQ6.

If you don't feel like voiding your warranty by taking off the plate, I'd look at the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. It's a little cheaper than the Zalman and is pretty quiet. It cools well for the size/price/noise. Plus, it mounts on the regular clips.

Ok, thanks for the help. I don't want to mod the motherboard because the warranty could prove to be important down the line.
I'm new to forums like these, as I have just gotten into building my own systems and computer hardware. But I have added a signature with my specs.
I've been told that the stock heatsink and fan will let me OC to about 3.2, which is where I plan to aim, granted the processor isn't a dud.

I've used both the stock Intel HSF and the AC Freezer 7 Pro I mentioned above. The temps are much better with the AC Freezer 7 Pro. Probably a good 10C under load difference.

day0 said:
You mention memory... what about the Ballistix sticks from Crucial? They run @ 2.2v (the DDR2 800Mhz). According to their website, they are compatible. I was thinking about buying these to put in my DQ6.

You are asking for trouble IMO.

One solution is to buy an inexpensive stick (512K) of 1.8 v ram to boot with, go into bios and up the memory voltage settings, save, shut down , install the high voltage memory and reboot. You are good to go until you need to clear the cmos again so keep the el-cheepo.

If you can find 3+ people that have installed this memory, cold, on first system boot, and it worked, perhaps then I would risk it. Otherwise you are going to really be pissed when it just starts up, then shuts down over and over as it cannot validate memory on boot.

I've been told that the stock heatsink and fan will let me OC to about 3.2, which is where I plan to aim, granted the processor isn't a dud.

That seems a bit high with stock intel heatsink but my experience was with a 6300 which made it to 2.8 while keeping the %100 load core temp under/at/around 60C which is well below maximum but my personal "feel good" max temp.

With good case airflow I feel certain you will get a decent overclock with stock that will make a good performing cpu into an outstanding one.

Oh and that heatsink mod is like 3 screws and 2 clips and it falls off. When I said easy, I mean super silly easy, just put the hs and screws and thermal pad in a zip lock bag and toss in bottom of case.

I read on an OCZ FAQ forum that they know of the problem with the memory and the voltage. It said something along the lines of putting in only one stick of ram, going into BIOS and then upping the voltage.
I'll search OCZ again and find the direct link, but my signature is just the build I want. I don't have the processor just yet, I am waiting for my next paycheck, which is TOMORROW!

Edit: Here is the OCZ forum thread.

The Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX (make sure its a VX! the old one uses a different method) has the same mounting mechanism as the Intel stock cooler, which means 2 things:

1. It fits with no problem on any motherboard
2. You dont have to remove anything out of the case to install it

Enjoy :)

Try the Scyhte Infinity, shudnt hv a problem fiiting this hs to the dq6 without removing the crazy kool plate, altho pushing the pin nearest the chipset hs's is a little tough as its a tight fit, unless u hv small fingers....regarding the ram, im using corsair twin xms2 6400c4, works fine in this board. ;)

jbweldon04 said:
I read on an OCZ FAQ forum that they know of the problem with the memory and the voltage. It said something along the lines of putting in only one stick of ram, going into BIOS and then upping the voltage.
I'll search OCZ again and find the direct link, but my signature is just the build I want. I don't have the processor just yet, I am waiting for my next paycheck, which is TOMORROW!

Edit: Here is the OCZ forum thread.

er, perhaps you didnt see my sig or my post above :eek: I have been there and done that. :D meaning I lived thru the memory voltage issue that almost all P965 boards had when first released. Gigabyte and others have released bios updates that help if not solve the issue. However you might get an older board that has been on the shelf for a couple of months and have the issue. You might not have an issue but if you insist on that high voltage ram I strongly suggest you have a stick of 1.8v stuff handy. Best of luck and let us know, I would like to be able to stop giving this warning !!! ;)

Two points:

1: Isn't the Scythe product quite heavy? Like 800+ grams? Having that hanging on my DQ6 while mounted vertically in my mid-tower case isn't my idea of fun.

2: According to the OCZ thread, just mounting one of your 2.2v DIMMs rather than both on first boot will allow you to get into the BIOS and up the voltage settings for 2.2v DIMMs? From the thread: All the following boards have been tested with all our product lines, some boards do still require a first boot with 1 dimm, set the rated voltage and speed and save/exit, power off the board...insert the second dimm and you are good to go.

Am I correct?

Back