Gigabyte GA-990fx UD3 issues?.or just graphics....

ThatsAgood1jay

[H]ard|Gawd
This is kinda a long story but all is a bit necessary to explain my predicament. Ever since I built this computer with this motherboard, it's had a few quirks. IT would sometimes take a long time to flash the post screen, it would quite a number of times boot up and be off by about 2 hours on the system clock, and would randomly BSOD (I attributed the BSOD'ing to my ancient hard-drives) I last week flashed to bios F8 thinking it might help these things, but nothing really changed.

Then today, catastrophic failure. I tried to wake the system up and it failed to display to the screen, so I figured the hdd's had finally gone. But then as I got to tinkering with the system a bit more, I discovered that the crappy power button cord was shorting out and essentially constantly telling the computer to turn on and off. So after I disconnected that and plugged the restart button into its jumper, alot of the issues disappeared, my HDD is dead I believe, but now I have got a far more serious issue.

The board appears to post fine, it flashes the screen almost instantly and moves right along to the boot phase, but there is some glitch causing horrible graphics distortion, the post screen is scrunched and has odd blots all over it. And in the boot phase screen, it has Dollar Signs $'s everywhere, including where standard text should be. The system functions fine, I can get into the bios itself, and even attempted to reflash the bios to fix it, but to no avail.

So now I need to know, is the motherboard damaged? or is the video card damaged? has anyone else had an experience like this and could shed some light on it? thanks in advance.

EDIT!:

IT appears to be fixing itself, the GUI issues I discussed have gone away (so far, further testing may bring them back)

Last edited:
I think you should sort out your problem one by one.
1. Please try to check your power supply.
2. Try to change other VGA card to check.
3. Try to check your motherboard from their GGTS for update bios, I think they have F9b bios.
4. Did you over clock your system?
Try to load optimized default and save and exit. Thanks.

I think you should sort out your problem one by one.
1. Please try to check your power supply.
2. Try to change other VGA card to check.
3. Try to check your motherboard from their GGTS for update bios, I think they have F9b bios.
4. Did you over clock your system?
Try to load optimized default and save and exit. Thanks.

well to respond first, f8 is the best bios for the ud3... I haven't even tried the f9b bios and i will say this. f9b only update the supported cpu's and raid ahci... so should be the same as f8

Anyways, at the original poster sounds to me like you have an issue with power. I'd swap out the power supply if you have one, if not get a mutimeter and check its outputs and check ohms, on the power/ ground wires.

But before i did that i would check out your video card. It is running hot? is it properly seated?

Then check your ram, more than one stick? try removing all but one.

Forgot this thread existed, sorry all!.

After much trial and error, many issues have been fixed. I benchmarked the card using Furmark and it would always immediately crash, after I discovered I was no longer under warranty (I took the sticker off the card and misplaced it :rolleyes:) I decided to just take the card apart and see what I found. I discovered that the thermal pads on the memory chips were completetly deformed away from the modules, and that the GPU was buried underneath sloppily applied thermal paste (WTG EVGA assembly) I cleaned everything up and put some Antec Formula 7 on everything and popped the card back in. Immediately, I saw a 5deg C idle temp drop, I ran furmark again and it passed with flying colors (no crashing is my requirement for passing, performance was minimal)

With that fixed, I did some simple tests on the PSU and found no faults. Not trusting un-loaded numbers, I turned the computer back on and ran furmark, along with prime 95 for 8 hours, no crashes.

I ran memtest on individual ram sticks, and then in dual channel mode with both dimms, no faults found.

It was about this time that I noticed the computer ran flawlessly, the best it has run in a long while (i had no idea how much better a fast storage device can make everything! thanks SSD!) The only issue was, it would always fight to boot, constantly giving me the beeps that there was a video card fault.

Well, I discovered a way around that as well, if I would allow it to go through the cycle once, then press the power button agian, it would post fine. then run with no issues.

And the last few days there has not even been the post issues.

I somehow wonder if there is still a short somewhere it the cases crappy wiring that is throwing the motherboard off, someday, when I have more money, the case will get replaced, but now everything seems to be running well!

I somehow wonder if there is still a short somewhere it the cases crappy wiring that is throwing the motherboard off, someday, when I have more money, the case will get replaced, but now everything seems to be running well!

you could just replace the wiring to the switch.....

Back