Antec p182 or Cooler Master 590 case
e7200 chip
Cooler Master TX CPU cooler
Radeon 4850 card.
Asus Blu-Ray optical drive
Corsair VX550 PSU
4GB Mushkin 1066 RAM
Seagate Barracuda 640gb HD
(my monitor is 1900x1200 DHCP compliant)

I'd like:
Crossfire capability
Solid drivers and good quality.
I'm not really an over clocker.
Cool and quiet-running
Good Blu-Ray DVD performance.
Good sound.

Your opinions are appreciated.

I have almost the exact same system as you, with the Gigabyte mobo. Got all my parts from the Egg yesterday, but Im having issues (no signal, no beeps, no post). Right now I think its an problem with the BIOS but I can't be sure, and it could just be that something's DOA. If anyone else has had these kind of issues you might want to be cautious. But then it might just be bad luck on my end.

I just attached my setup together a few days ago with the Gigabyte EP45 DS3R, and to answer your question about the no beeps and no lights when you press the power button and stuff...make sure that it's not a grounding issue. i.e. the front panel connectors are connected the right way...hope that helps you troubleshoot a bit...

I just received my P5Q-E yesterday along with an e8400 processor and a cheap 2x2gb kit from G.Skill (F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ ). It was probably one of the easiest setup/ocing experiences I've had. I dropped the multi to 8, raised the FSB to 500, set vcore to 1.36xx(it's not exactly 1.36 in the bios). Set my ram voltage to 2.0 and ran Prime overnight to test for stability.

I just wanted 4.0GHz from my e8400 and the P5Q-E gave it to me easily. Like I said, the only voltages I messed with were the vcore and vdimm.

I've never used a Gigabyte mobo, so I can't say good or bad things about them, but I can HIGHLY recommend the P5Q-E

Is the only difference between the P5Q-E and P5Q Pro that the E has E-Sata? I have pretty much the same question as the TS...

I just received my P5Q-E yesterday along with an e8400 processor and a cheap 2x2gb kit from G.Skill (F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ ). It was probably one of the easiest setup/ocing experiences I've had. I dropped the multi to 8, raised the FSB to 500, set vcore to 1.36xx(it's not exactly 1.36 in the bios). Set my ram voltage to 2.0 and ran Prime overnight to test for stability.

I just wanted 4.0GHz from my e8400 and the P5Q-E gave it to me easily. Like I said, the only voltages I messed with were the vcore and vdimm.

I've never used a Gigabyte mobo, so I can't say good or bad things about them, but I can HIGHLY recommend the P5Q-E
+1 on the P5Q-E, assembled my first complete build yesterday with an e7200, GSkill 2x1GB, and ATi 4850 and it's running like a champ. I overclocked to 3.16 for a while but dropped it back down to stock because it was a bit hotter than I wanted.

12045303.png

@ Rittia1962:

I have some concern about Asus board quality and power management. Asus didn't exactly acquit themselves either. Does the above chart reflect a change from software-controlled power management to hardware-controlled?

@philg,

This one line from your second link sums it up well:

"At this stage, ASUS sill has not given a response for the board in question. The new P5Q with a supposedly new EPU chip does not apply to the original comparison".

The P5K is the motherboard that Gigabyte was throwing a fit about.

@philg,

This one line from your second link sums it up well:

"At this stage, ASUS sill has not given a response for the board in question. The new P5Q with a supposedly new EPU chip does not apply to the original comparison".

The P5K is the motherboard that Gigabyte was throwing a fit about.

Maybe the P5Q fixes stuff that ASUS got caught with its pants down then - but why the distinction between the 'REAL' P5Q deluxe and the omission of 'REAL' in the P5Q-E. ASUS' response seems to validate Gigabyte's point about them rather than refute it - though I would say the journalism is canted. I don't want to deal with a company that capitalizes on a reputation for the highest quality while compromising quality and bending truth about performance to sell their goods at a higher profit margin. If the P5Q-E is more of the same kind of half-truth, and only the P5Q Deluxe and up do power management in hardware, then I'm not buying what they are selling.

Demand integrity and punish companies with your pad-locked wallet when they don't show it.

You may want to read this:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/30/gigabyte-to-apologize-to-asus-do-laundry-for-next-year/

I really think that whole upset back in May was a lot of ruckus over nothing. Asus makes great motherboards. I've used several of them in the past 6 years or so and they've been nothing but a pleasure to work with. I've found the same with the P5Q-e.

I stand by my assertion that you can't go wrong with the P5Q series. The same could probably be said for the Gigabyte (Don't know because I haven't used it).

I think whatever "issues" there were with EPU in the P5K series have been rectified in the P5Q series.

You may want to read this:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/30/gigabyte-to-apologize-to-asus-do-laundry-for-next-year/

I really think that whole upset back in May was a lot of ruckus over nothing. Asus makes great motherboards. I've used several of them in the past 6 years or so and they've been nothing but a pleasure to work with. I've found the same with the P5Q-e.

I stand by my assertion that you can't go wrong with the P5Q series. The same could probably be said for the Gigabyte (Don't know because I haven't used it).

I think whatever "issues" there were with EPU in the P5K series have been rectified in the P5Q series.

So Gigabyte didn't/couldn't supply independent verification... Were they false charges or was gigabyte just not ready for a fight?

I've always heard good things about the quality of Asus boards. However, it still bothers me that Asus got the lawyers involved instead of answering the charges directly and laying the smack down face to face. Could have been a public demonstration of ASUS quality when it was a public demonstration of legal wherewithal and vague denials.

I have almost the exact same system as you, with the Gigabyte mobo. Got all my parts from the Egg yesterday, but Im having issues (no signal, no beeps, no post). Right now I think its an problem with the BIOS but I can't be sure, and it could just be that something's DOA. If anyone else has had these kind of issues you might want to be cautious. But then it might just be bad luck on my end.

You might need a new BIOS, the same thing happened to me. One of the BIOS updates fixed some PCI-e video card incompatibility bugs.

+1 for the Gigabyte. Installed CPU, RAM, Video and flashed BIOS to F8 before anything else. Absolutely zero problems, stable for a week. See sig for specs.

I also looked at the P5Q-Pro - came down to price at the time. If it were today I would go Asus because of the coupon deal.

Running P5Q Pro here, it's been nothing short of the most stable board I've ever seen, not to mention it overclocks like a champ! I really love the features of this board even though it is only the Pro version of the P5Q Series.

dont buy ASS-US. they suck

Now that's an informative and insightful post if I've ever seen one :rolleyes:. It just sucks that most people who actually own the P5Q-E/Pro/Deluxe would disagree with you.

The least you could do is tell the guy about your horrible experience with Asus so that he can at least make an informed decision that's not based on one-liners like your original post.

ok fine i will.

bought a P5k_E/Wifi AP about 10 months ago from zip zoom fly. board worked great, OC'd my E2180 with no problems at all.

4 months later it dies on me. totally random. figured maybe i put too much NB voltage (not really though i only had 1.4 going into it and 1.475 into the processor at most)

takes 20 something days to RMA.

get a second board. this one not only has USB issues, but the heatpipes are dead, and i had USB file transfer problems, and it had broken temperature sensors. oh yeah, it sucked at OCing. I could barely apply extra voltage because it would randomly become unstable. i found out it wasnt even applying it. tried 3 different BIOS versions yet no fix.

so i stuck to a STOCK overclock. stayed on stock voltage on everything except for my 1066 ballistix.

and 4 months after using it, BAM, this one is now giving me random blue screens. hell it even corrupted the BIOS on its own. i dont even know how that happened. but it did...

now I need to RMA this board, which will probably take another 30 days. thats another month without a computer.

needless to say, I'll never buy an Asus motherboad again.

GPU's on the other hand i havent tried so i wont say anythinga bout those.

AmongTheChosenX...Ok I can understand that. But don't take a single experience like that and broadbrush an entire brand. I don't know much about the P5K series...maybe they sucked?

I do know that a lot of people are very happy with the P5Q series though.

you know, i hav a 10$ ECS motherboard. i think you shud do somthing like that, get a cheap mobo and use it as a back-up.;);)

AmongTheChosenX...Ok I can understand that. But don't take a single experience like that and broadbrush an entire brand. I don't know much about the P5K series...maybe they sucked?

I do know that a lot of people are very happy with the P5Q series though.

I've heard that there were some issues in the P5K series that were all fixed so far as we know in the P5Q series. It's been a really great mobo and I have recommended it to a lot of people, and pretty much all of them have gone with it I think. Haven't met a single person who has been disappointed with it.

yah i'm pretty sure most of the P5K motherboards had issues. especially alot of problems with every BIOS version that came out. all of them had bugs. old ones were fixed while new ones came into play, EVERY BIOS UPDATE.

mad gay lolol

Any more info in the P5Q series, anyone? Mine's coming in tomorrow. I'll post my experiences as soon as I get it.But if anyone else knows anything more, like how it OC's with quads, that would be GREAT! :cool:

If you have issues with a 'Chassis intruded" error, make sure that the 'Chassis' pins on your board are jumpered right.

Set to 1.42 in bios. Idles at 1.42. No vdroop this motherboard is full of win. This is on Air and will push it to 4ghz once I redo my water loop.

Back