GIGABYTE GA-K8N51GMF-9 How is it?

clarknova

n00b
I've read a few members on here purchasing this board.
I am just curious how its been performing and how stable it is.

thanks

I'm curious too.

Doesn't Gigabyte have the worst ev4r naming convention for motherboards?!

I've heard it's good for everything but oc'ing, im really excited to see some reviews about the ASUS 6150 on newegg

Im not looking to overclock. Ill be running a X2 4400 just want to know how it performs and if its stable.
I know there are people in here that have it, can anyone comment please?

clarknova said:
Im not looking to overclock. Ill be running a X2 4400 just want to know how it performs and if its stable.
I know there are people in here that have it, can anyone comment please?

I don't think too many people here actually do have it. Like you said, a few do, but I doubt they're online.

For some reason, a lot of people seem to have a bias against GigaByte. I personally like them a lot.

I have one, and have had no problems with it. Its my first Gigabyte board. I got it for the 430 southbridge, so it was the only thing going when I built my machine a couple of weeks ago. The only drawback is lack of voltage settings. If you do the Cntrl-F1 Gigabyte trick, it lets you up the fsb to 300, and has full memory timing options. I have a 2.2 san diego running at 11x240 (2.64). I was able to get the FSB up to 270 when dropping the multiplier, so its not a bad board if it just had voltage options! Currently with it at 11x240 I'm using Geil PC4400 ram at 2.5 3 3 5 1T.

Furious

--------------------------------------------------------
Aspire X-Qpack Black
Antec NeoHE 430 Modular PSU
AMD Athlon 64 San Diego 3700+ @ 11x240 (2640)
Zalman 7000-Cu Cooler @ 29C Idle/42C Load
Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 T-Force
1gb Geil PC4400 @ 2.5-3-3-5 1T
XFX 7800GT @ 480/1100
SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Seagate Barricuda 160GB 7200.8 SATA150
Logitech Z-5500 1000W 5.1 Surround
Dell 2005FPW

Just got done building my Qpack, and I have the Gigabyte board. So far so good. The only problem that I have had so far is not mobo related. I got a DOA PSU from the egg (Antec NeoHE 550) so I have had to resort to using the stock PSU till my replacement arrives. :(

cc2096 said:
Just got done building my Qpack, and I have the Gigabyte board. So far so good. The only problem that I have had so far is not mobo related. I got a DOA PSU from the egg (Antec NeoHE 550) so I have had to resort to using the stock PSU till my replacement arrives. :(

Ack! I just ordered the same Antec NeoHE 550 PSU from NewEgg as you for my Qpack. I take it other then the obvious problem of being DOA, the NeoHE 550 has no problem fitting into the Qpack?

clarknova said:
Ack! I just ordered the same Antec NeoHE 550 PSU from NewEgg as you for my Qpack. I take it other then the obvious problem of being DOA, the NeoHE 550 has no problem fitting into the Qpack?

Nope fit perfectly (well almost, it was tight but it works). I am RMAing it though, and I'm going to get a Neo 480 I think instead.

cc2096 said:
Nope fit perfectly (well almost, it was tight but it works). I am RMAing it though, and I'm going to get a Neo 480 I think instead.

I just got it. I only had a moment to try to install it but it seems the only way for it to fit "right" was to install it upsidedown with the cable on the left side with the antec logo on top. Is that how you did it? I havent began to put in the motherboard and the rest yet but I think thats how its going to work?

I bought the NeoHE 430 with my setup, and yes, I had to install it upside down in my Qpack. It fits just fine that way, but I have a Plextor 716 drive, and its a tight squeeze between the drive and the PSU, as I'm sure you've probably heard. Here are some pics of my setup.

http://home.comcast.net/~jmayers5/mycomp1.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~jmayers5/mycomp2.JPG

Aspire X-Qpack Black
XFX 7800GT @ 480/1100
Dell 2005FPW

[LYL]Homer said:
I'm curious too.

Doesn't Gigabyte have the worst ev4r naming convention for motherboards?!

I like their names, they sound alot more serious then some of the other mobo makers out there.

Furious Styles said:
I bought the NeoHE 430 with my setup, and yes, I had to install it upside down in my Qpack. It fits just fine that way, but I have a Plextor 716 drive, and its a tight squeeze between the drive and the PSU, as I'm sure you've probably heard. Here are some pics of my setup.

http://home.comcast.net/~jmayers5/mycomp2.JPG

Aspire X-Qpack Black
XFX 7800GT @ 480/1100
Dell 2005FPW

Furious I have a similar setup to yours, how are you getting 42c Load temps with the Zalman? I am getting like 55c load and 36c idle. :confused:

cc2096 said:
Furious I have a similar setup to yours, how are you getting 42c Load temps with the Zalman? I am getting like 55c load and 36c idle. :confused:

It could be that his ambient temperature is lower. Ex. A/C is on.

gotkilled said:
It could be that his ambient temperature is lower. Ex. A/C is on.

I have an X2 4400 I'll be putting that same Zalman on.
Hopefully I can come close to your temps.

cc2096 said:

I have about the same (x-qpack, Gigabyte 6100/430 mobo, A64 x2 3800 @ 2200, zalman 7000B AlCu) and run at 27c idle, 42c @ load (ambient around 23c).

You might want to reseat the heatsink with better thermal paste if you used the stuff that comes with the Zalman. I've heard it's not that great.

I have a question for you guys with the Zalman 7000.
What do you tape the heat sensor on the Qpack to?
I have no idea which part of the Zalman heatsink to tape the sensor to!

ninja098 said:
I have about the same (x-qpack, Gigabyte 6100/430 mobo, A64 x2 3800 @ 2200, zalman 7000B AlCu) and run at 27c idle, 42c @ load (ambient around 23c).

You might want to reseat the heatsink with better thermal paste if you used the stuff that comes with the Zalman. I've heard it's not that great.

I think your ambient has a lot to due with your temps. My ambient is around 33c. I am using AS5 for my thermal compound, and I applied it the same way I have applied it for the last 7 builds I have done, about the size of a grain of rice applied to the center of the heat spreader. If I am applying it wrong, please instruct me on how to apply it correctly. Thanks! :)

I just ordered one and should be getting it on Monday... I was a little apprehensive about buying it but it provides a much better layout for installing the additional pci cards that I wanted to use. Can't wait til it arrives.

The motherboard arrived today but Fedex was so late all I could do was install the cpu, hsf and ram. In the morning I'll install it in the SG01 and finish up the installation. Don't know if it came with the latest bios but for some reason I can't download the F2 bios off of Gigabyte's website.

I've been running this board for almost 2 weeks now without any problems.
I'm running an X2 4400 not overclocking and its rock solid.

Back