Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Overclocking

Phranq

Gawd
I was about 3 seconds from ordering this mobo to go with an e2180 with overclocking in mind.

But now I have questions about the northbridge cooling.

I would prefer to spend less than $130 or so on a motherboard that is a competent OC'er.

I have this board and I easily overclocked my E4500 to 3.0 ghz, it can go higher but I want to keep stock voltage.

I bought this board yesterday and picked up 4 mini ninja scythes 40mmx40mmx20mm 6.8 cfm fans that I will mount to the heatsinks. These buggers should flow some air on them and add that to the 80mm and 120mm additional case fans for the Cooler Master Cav 3 case.. I should not overheat this board. I have a nice Q6600 SLACR 745 batch that is waiting to hit 4ghz (crossing fingers)

ALL intel MCH/northbridges run hot. I found the thermal compound application on the DS3-L to be OK but gluing a 40mm fan on with some silicon RTV takes 30 seconds and is a smart move.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1248435&highlight=fun

So that's how you do that? You just glue the 40mm on there? I was wondering how that worked, and I thought I was missing something.

I'll probably just pick up a 40mm and solve that problem then.

No not glue, they come with screws.. the metal fins will allow you to GENTLY screw a fan on. I've been told this mobo has som significant Vdroop anyone experience that? Hope that doesn't impact my OC efforts!

Hmm, you can just screw it into the fins? I guess I'll give that a shot.

Typically, do people face the fan blowing away from the heatsink to pull heat off, or towards the heatsink to cool the heatsink directly?

Towards the heatsink is best, you get better forced airflow that way. How you actually attach the fan to the heatsink isn't as important as making sure you don't impede airflow and it doesn't fall off. And of course physical damage using oversized screws.

Back