GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R Boot Failure

Same problem. I had my GA-P35-DS3R for 3 months working well under Windows 2003. Now installed Vista and all went well till the first cold boot :(

Display signal seems lost, only powerled and fans are on...

Steps taken:
- Replaced PSU (no luck)
- Replaced CMOS battery (No Luck)
- Removed Memory (No Luck)
- Removed Display adapter (No Luck)
- Removed all Sata drives (No Luck)

Removing my USB keyboard reciever (Logitech) during poweron seems to work sometimes......

Pretty much OT but... my DS3R arrived today... it had been so poorly packed that the NB cooler broke off during shipping :( Sending it back to Fry's.

I've been having tons of issues with my board to ram timing, fsb, shutting down, I just installed to f10 bios and for some weird reason all my problems disappeared. Might wanna try it out.

I've been having tons of issues with my board to ram timing, fsb, shutting down, I just installed to f10 bios and for some weird reason all my problems disappeared. Might wanna try it out.

yah... thats weird... how could a BIOS update fix mobo problems?!?! go figure. :rolleyes:

Just got my DS3 installed this morning. Stayed up long enough to run updates on Vista. Having same issues here. Sometimes it posts sometimes it doesn't. When it does post it starts to load Vista and then loses Video signal and reboots.

My system did that the old ATi 9700 Pro, just a case of the GPU getting hot and couldn't cool down due to a crappy design at the time, change the stock heatsink for a zalman and that fixed it.

vietpho I think I got a bad motherboard...Is this a sign of a bad mother board?

I turn the power on, all the fan lights go on, it brings me to the gigabyte screen and goes into a black screen listing a bunch of numbers and such and at the bottom it says
"Boot From CD/DVD"
"Disk Boot Failure, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Am I suppose to have some sort of disk in my dvd drive?

Sounds like the system has no OS as it's getting past the list of IRQ info, or the HDD that you had originally loaded with an OS is formatted, damaged or busted.

Could try a reload of the OS or repairing the MBR.

well eng... the bios update was for nothing at all related to the problems I was having

I performed a bios update from the @bios tool and received the latest update (F11) and my problem was solved.

I performed a bios update from the @bios tool and received the latest update (F11) and my problem was solved.

The F11 bios is a champ. I hope everyone is using it. It solved memory error problems, and has better cpu temps. Hope it solves many issues as listed in this thread.

Am thinking of installing xpress recovery 2. From what I read in Bill's post, I think it writes a copy of a bios every time - hope that doesn't add to the boot time? Plus I'll have to find out if i have to do any additional partitioning.

http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=85575

The F11 bios is a champ. I hope everyone is using it. It solved memory error problems, and has better cpu temps. Hope it solves many issues as listed in this thread.

http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=85575

Yeah I was having an issue where my pc would shut down on its own usually right after I got logged into Windows.

This happened after I updated the bios to the F9 version. I then updated to bios version F11 and this solved the issue of the pc shutting down on its own.

Remember peeps for Vista installs, technically AHCI should be on. AHCI is the special SATA controller that is compatible with Vista 32/64 (mainly for 64)

It should be off for most XP installs. You can't even install XP with it on, more than likely it will simply bluescreen or go into an endless loop of rebooting.

If you do manage to install the OS with AHCI enabled when it does not support it, it will be unstable.

That said: My really old revision of Gigabyte BIOS does not have the ability to enable AHCI either way.

Remember peeps for Vista installs, technically AHCI should be on. AHCI is the special SATA controller that is compatible with Vista 32/64 (mainly for 64)

It should be off for most XP installs. You can't even install XP with it on, more than likely it will simply bluescreen or go into an endless loop of rebooting.

If you do manage to install the OS with AHCI enabled when it does not support it, it will be unstable.

That said: My really old revision of Gigabyte BIOS does not have the ability to enable AHCI either way.

What bios/mobo are you on? It works fine for me...so far...no issues! Many are convinced that ms doesn't want to support AHCI on XP because that will be yet another reason not to upgrade to vista.

I saw that option in my Bios to enable AHCI mode but I didn't know what it was. What are the benefits of enabling AHCI? I have Vista Home Premium 64 bit installed.

AHCI even helps XP. performance wise. i have even run across two different systems that i installed xp on, i had problems installing sound and chipset drivers so i installed xp again with AHCI on and it fixed the issue. of course i had burn a copy of XP with drivers for it for AHCI but it is worth it because i dont think you can switch after the isntall.

my board came with f10 installed so i have had nothing but love for it.

Where did you hear that AHCI doesn't work with XP? I have an ICH7R with AHCI enabled that works just fine with XP. The ICH9R doesn't seem to be so AHCI/XP friendly, but that's a different story.

Where did you hear that AHCI doesn't work with XP? I have an ICH7R with AHCI enabled that works just fine with XP. The ICH9R doesn't seem to be so AHCI/XP friendly, but that's a different story.

I'm not running RAID, so I can use AHCI. I think AHCI has to be disabled, etc. for RAID to be working. Not sure..that'll require a google search if i install raid :)

I'm not running RAID, so I can use AHCI. I think AHCI has to be disabled, etc. for RAID to be working. Not sure..that'll require a google search if i install raid :)

Normally you can run either IDE compatibility mode, AHCI, or RAID. RAID includes AHCI, so that is what Intel recommends running because it gives you the option of upgrading to a RAID configuration later without reinstalling the OS.

If you have a specialized Raid controller then yes, that is where you should slipstream in the latest ahci raid controller into your boot CD or have a floppy disk ready with the drivers on it. XP will pretty well require that you have the raid driver before you install the OS.

If you decide that you will never raid or use the ahci functions of sata drives, then you should not turn on ahci. It will just confuse the heck out of people when they try to re-install the OS and wonder why its not working.

Alternately you can do what the above poster mentions, install the OS with it off, install the raid drivers and then turn it on. Although there is always a small chance something will go wrong going that route.

All of this should be fixed with XP service pack 3 though.

I just got on the GA-P35-DS3R boot failure victim list. From my experience of building over 50 PCs (used to work for a mom/pop computer company for a summer job) this is certainly the most well configured, but troubled board I've experienced. This motherboard is paired with E8400, G.Skill 2x2 ddr2 memory PC8000.

At first I had an issue installing windows with the RAID controller enabled. I had to shift an SATA drive off of the 6 raid enabled ports and to the Gigabyte port, otherwise the mobo would reset, and then it would keep rebooting (with cold boots?) and each time, the raid array would fall out of sync. Well, I fixed that problem, and installed a PCI raid card to handle the 4 other sata drives that I have on my system.

I left the system on overnight doing ORTHOS at 4.05 GHz, when I woke up, I find the system has rebooted and gone to 3.0GHz. I then started to have the reboot problem, I do get post screens and the system can run at 3.0GHz stabily. But I can't even overclock 1MHz over stock and it seems like every time I make a bios change the mobo decides to shut off the system and reboots via a cold boot and loses all of my settings! Going into the bios and changing those bios settings yields the same results. Automatic cold reboot. I also had situations where the system would start booting into windows and then it would turn off before a complete boot.

I only had this system running for a day! When it was running it was fantastic! I hope my PSU isn't dying though.

It's my first gigabyte board I have a Rev 2.1 board that came with the F9 bios and it posted and was able to install windows XP. I wasn't able to OC 1Mhz either on the F9 bios and it OC'd beautifully with the F11 bios.

I'm going to try to locate the F10 bios and flash this mobo with that.

My GA-MA69GM-S2H died after a bios update to the f4 version for my board :(
Unless it's just the cold boot issue, but im not sure if i should put my proc and play with it some more or what :( Im not enjoying am2 so far

i have a P35-DS3R with a SATA harddrive and after it goes through copying over the windows files during setup..
when it reboots and is supposed to boot from the hd to complete the install.... it just reboots and will keep rebooting.

i've tried formatting, installing again, different ports, testing the memory, playing around with the bios...... nothing seems to work.

any ideas?

ahci is disabled and sata is in native ide mode

any help is appreciated

i have a P35-DS3R with a SATA harddrive and after it goes through copying over the windows files during setup..
when it reboots and is supposed to boot from the hd to complete the install.... it just reboots and will keep rebooting.

i've tried formatting, installing again, different ports, testing the memory, playing around with the bios...... nothing seems to work.

any ideas?

any help is appreciated

Did you install the latest BIOS - f11? What SATA drive type is it? Did you run a memtest before installing windows just to rule out any memory issues?

hifimono, do you have a floppy to try installing the OS with the AHCI enabled ? just install the drivers.

my experience is different then others it seems. every system built / reinstalled XP on i had nothing but trouble when AHCI was turned off. at least 5 systems. i built 3 computer with intel ICH8/9 chip and 2 laptops i took vista off of to switch to XP. 2 of the computers where just two builds, i built 6 for one and 8 for the other. once i figure the issue out on one the other where just cloned over and it worked for every PC. so it's not just 5 PCs. it is 13 PC's with just 3 different builds. p35 g33 chipsets.

all but the last PC( my pc) i installed with AHCI disabled and had a issues with systems POST'ing , booting and installing of drivers for hardware built in to motherboard like chipset and sound.

so i made a XP CD with intel raid controller built in using enlight to slip stream the drivers in to the XP cd and ended up installing all 5 of these systems with AHCI enabled and all the problems i had went away.

the first time i ran in to this trouble it took me about 12 hours of troubleshooting before i figure out that AHCI being disabled was causing the problem.

so while other people say it has issues i have had the exact opposite luck so i think it would be worth a try.

i have a p35-ds3r with ich9r with AHCI enabled with no issues. came with f10 bios updated to f11 after OS was installed.

ps. i would try the sata port thing too that is a quick thing to try out.

any ideas?

any help is appreciated

I have the same problem with an Abit IP35 Pro. Is this a repair installation or a fresh install? If it is a repair install, did you have Intel's Matrix Storage Manager installed on the old computer? If so, I've heard that older versions (that don't support the ICH9R) can cause that problem even if you use the F6 install method. For me, I can't even get a clean new install to work (actually in RAID/AHCI or IDE mode) - I think I've just got a bad board.

Regarding the SATA issue. There is an option in the bios for something like Sata drive 0-3 "Legacy or Native Mode" In the instructions it states to use Native mode for XP and newer, while using Legacy mode for win Me, 98, and below.

Back to the boot issue and rebooting. I guess I "downgraded" my bios to F10 from F11, I still have the same issues. I believe I have some kind of defective bios chip. My whole system works perfectly at stock, and will even save the bios changes having to do with disabling audio controller, enabling raid, etc. But when it comes to the intelligent MIT menu, apart from voltages, it seems that even if I move the FSB up 1MHz, the system cold boots and reverts to original settings.

I know my E8400 and the rest of my components aren't faulty. I just ran Orthos at stock and I have no errors for 1 hour, I know it's not long enough, but it gives me an idea.

Also, it's really strange that for one day my processor ran at 4.05GHz and would even boot into windows at 4.5GHz. I dunno, but I'm gonna RMA quick, while I can.

One thing. It's such a F___ing waste of time, I'm so happy I didn't do a whole watercooling set up on this. Would've been pissed!

new computer
ran memtest, everything passed
no floppy drive
unsure how to write all zeros to the drive

tried enabling AHCI but it won't load windows setup even for my to press F6

bios has not been updated
current bios is F6

new computer
ran memtest, everything passed
no floppy drive
unsure how to write all zeros to the drive

tried enabling AHCI but it won't load windows setup even for my to press F6

bios has not been updated
current bios is F6

AHCI won't be usable until after you install windows in IDE/SATA mode.
Best to flash to the latest bios and to see if you still have problems.

just flashed to F11 and i am formatting the drive in winxp setup now.

could there be some weird boot priority since the dvdrom drive is on an IDE cable and the hd is on a SATA cable????

i deleted the partition and created a new one... smaller so i could utilize xpressrecovery
formatted... xp cd setup.... rebooted

and now it works.

guess i just needed to update the bios and delete the old partition.

thanks for the help.

Regarding the boot failure problems on my GA-P35-DS3R, I've now concluded that it is probably a bad bios chip, not a bad bios flash. I'm able to flash bioses, did it through floppys, windows and USB memory, to make sure that I'm not uploading a corrupted bios, from either source. This is flashing both F10 and F11 bioses over and over again.

Regarding Overclocking, the strange behavior that I was having was that if I changed anything in the MIT menu (overclocking options and mem timings, ratios, etc.) the motherboard would cold reboot and then run the settings for 15 seconds or so and then cold reset over and over until stock settings are reloaded and would boot into Windows XP. So obviously, there is somthing weird about the bios saving and executing. I can't even up the FSB by 1MHz without this mobo buggin' out.

I can boot at stock 3.0GHz and use the included Easytune software to overclock. Although I can't change my memory ratios in the bios, I am able to adjust FSB and Chip Voltage in Windows. I am able to run orthos on my E8400 for an hour or so OC'ing in windows at 4.05GHz, and 3D Mark06 works too. I just simply can't save bios configs in the OC'ing menu. All other things in the bios, like device boot priority, etc, save fine.

So I know it's not my chip, memory or other components. There are other users in other forums with similar problems. Apparently the bad bios chip and reboot bug is rampant with these boards.

having almost similar issues, though here my system doesn't loop startup.

having problemd with either CPU or Motherboard.

when i disconnect the 2*2 12v CPU connector i can see fans start spinning and harddisk start to spin.

when i reconnect the CPU connector, and powerup, i can see the fans get a small boost (1/2 a turn, than all fans and HDD's, freeze.

Tried another PSU to see if power to the 12V CPU connecter is somewhat messed up, but get exactly the same issue.

(cleared Cmos to be sure, tried booting with nothing cept cpu + cpu fan, with 1 memory unit, with graphic card, but all these combinations give same issue.

can't see any 'burnt' connectors and no funny smells.

THinking either CPU security shut down, of mobo failure,

anyone have an idea what i can try?

(i am still 6 months in warranty iirc)

pull the memory and the video card and making sure there is a speaker attached to the motherboard front panel pins see what you get for a beep code.

Then add video and see

Then add memmory and see

Back