Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 wont OC Q6600

Those 3.0 settings don't look too bad. Run it at that for a while.

I have to ask. Did you stop at 375 cause you hit 3.00? Put em back and keep climbing. Only 25 to go to 400 and 3.2. If you got there with the settings you mentioned that is a good OC.

What scares me is under that it hit 63 degrees, Given its like low 80's high 70's today and we have the windows open. I might try 400 and see what happenes... I am just getting kinda flustered with this. It seems alot of q6600 runs stable for alot less voltage then mine :(.

Hi guys.

I'd like to join the thread, i got the same mobo and q6600 (es) too...

However:
1. i got watercooling fit the cpu
2. i bough this chip as 'pretested' doing close to 5 ghz (on water and some MAD voltages)

Anyways... highest i tried fsb was 445, with cpu multi lowered to 8 to maintain stability and it seemed allright.

I can work out those wierd /fas/ram straps. Couldn't they just have normal ratios in there....

My problem is that i'm pretty sure this chip can do far more that what i can get it up to. at 9 multi, i'm struggling to stabilize at 3.8ghz... even at 1.5V (set in bios).
Cpu voltage concernes me. in bios is set to 1.5V. once system booted, at idle it reads about 1.474 or thereabouts, and once i start priming it immidiately goes down to 1.424 or thereabouts.... is that normal ? at those speeds, with that voltage at full load core0 just exceeds 50 deg C.

I kinda built this setup to run at 4GHz and once again (i owned several oc'ed systems in past years) i'm *just* short of the goal :(

Anyways, I'll try more fsb/misc voltages.... I'll try more clamping force on the waterblock. any hints appreciated...

so after playing around I can not get any 3.0 to be stable under prime. but I did end up getting 2.8 stable... ran prime95 for 3 hours and no errors

2.800GHz
8x 350
2.00D
DDR +.25 @ 2.0***(dont remember exactly)
FSB +.1
Gmch +.1
CPU-z vcore @ 1.328v
idle... 36,30,32,34
load... 57,52,52,57

I was having that problem and one even worse. The computer would power on manually but the power button wouldn't turn the computer off. When "shut down" was used in Windows then entire PC would lose power and could not be turned on again unless the PSU was first turned off, unplugged, plugged in again and turned on again... Resorting to that cleared the BIOS every time (which doesn't make sense). This happened when the machine was over clocked or not. I've just applied for an RMA with Newegg and I'll be getting a different MOBO for sure. Too bad, the features seem really nice.

First time poster, long time reader. Decided to register finally, since I have this brand new setup that has been a challenge to figure out. I upgraded to a new Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 recently, and decided to set it all up over the weekend. I have an existing MB with a Q6600 OC to 3.5-3.6, which I just swapped over to the new Gigabyte MB, and bought some new OCZ Reaper PC-8500 DDR2 RAM (2x2GB) 4GB. It seems to work flowless, if it's not overclocked. For whatever reason I cannot get the MB to overclock the CPU. Every time I change the FSB to anything but 266 the system will power-reset three times then finally POST, and revert back to the original 266. Even if I change the FSB to 267 it wont like it. I'm stumped. No matter what vcore I change it to (without going past 1.53) it will not overclock. I'll throw in my old E4300 tonight and see if that overclocks at all, which will tell me if it's a MB or CPU issue. I also updated the BIOS even though there is only one version on the website, F1 I believe it's called. Thought maybe the BIOS got corrupt. Any help is much appreciated!

Sorry to thread resurrect but I thought it may be useful to other peeps who may also come across this issue using the Gigabyte X48 boards.

I had purchased an X48T-DQ6 (being the DDR3 variant) back in June of this year. Built the machine and left everything at stock as I wanted to be sure that the system was completely stable before I attempted an overclocking run.

Fast forward 6 months later, everything is chugging along fine and I just happen to have enough time today to start tweaking the bios and doing some synthetic benchmarks. So I update to the latest BIOS (F5) and boot into the bios. I familiarise myself with the M.I.T. settings and then start increasing the RAM speed. Save the bios setting and exit, computer reboots. The Gigabyte splash screen displays, but 2 seconds later the system auto reboots. I go into the bios only to find that all the changes made to the M.I.T. menu have been reseted to their default values. Experience the same issue also when overclocking the FSB, even by a couple of MHZ.

So of course I spent the entire fucking day pulling my machine apart, playing with bios settings and combing the internet for any clues as to why this is occurring. During my travels on the net I come across several individuals complaining of the same issues but with no success in solving the problem. I do however come across this post of a crafty individual who suggests there is a bug with some of the board's fan headers:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/har...233640-solved-bios-reseting-fsb-clock-oc.html

Looks like a long shot, but at this point I am desperate to try anything to avoid the hassles of RMA'ing the board. I pull out all my case fans plugged directly into the fan headers and to my surprise the computer manages to boot w/out resetting the overclocked settings!

I then narrow it down to the CPU fan header which my Noctua HSF was plugged into. Swap it over to another fan header and voila, problem solved!

Have never come across an issue like this before. Fucking annoying, and it was only by sheer luck that I figured the issue out!

Scratch that, problem quickly resurfaced after the system hard locked whilst gaming. Now the bios again refuses to save any overclocked settings.

I am honestly at my wits end, never have I had so much trouble trying to overclock a m/board. God I miss the days of my reliable old IC7. :mad:

My mobo is a Gigabyte EP35-DS4 that had the same problem of refusing to overclock even by a fsb of one form 266 to 267. The solution was to remove the cord to my usb printer and usb hub. They work just fine if I plug them in after it boots, but it will not overclock if they are in at boot time. Some of the usb ports seem to work properly so try some trial and error.

Note this is for the problem of refusing to overclock at all and rebooting with the settings back to stock settings. The options of changing timings and voltages that we all love so well help solve other problems.

Back